Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • building a block shed
  • DT78
    Free Member

Anyone built one recently? Quite fancy giving it a go myself. Are there any decent guides online? Plus any ideas what sort of budget I,d be looking at? Approx 10 by 8.

highclimber
    Free Member

10×8 wont be big enough i’d go for 8×10 for extra width

DT78
    Free Member

Kind of limited by the site, it,ll be replacing a rotting 6 by 4, so reckon it,ll be ok for me

bellys
    Free Member

Why not buy the panels from eBay look for Concrete garage it might be cheaper and easier.

highclimber
    Free Member

something like this?

DT78
    Free Member

Reckon it would be quicker to build out of block than Lego :). And prob cheaper too! Will take a look for concrete panels – hadn’t thought about that

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why do you want it out of blockwork ? Unless of course you’re a bricklayer, in which case you don’t need any advise. Otherwise I would go for timber. Carpentry is a piece of piss, plus a timber shed looks nicer, unless you give the blockwork some sort of rendering – more hard work. And then you’ll probably want to paint it, something which will have to be done regularly if you want to keep it looking pristine.

BTW, it’s probably cheaper (and easier) to buy a shed than to buy the materials and build it yourself.

Buy a shed.

highclimber
    Free Member

Why do you want it out of blockwork

more security?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I’m guessing the door will be out of timber, so it will be as secure as the timber door.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ernie is right!

Stoner
    Free Member

timber far more fun to work with

And can be adapted more easily.

Currently re-jigging the wood store into a wood pellet tank

DT78
    Free Member

The site is not straight so unless I stick with a 6 by 4 I won’t get a much bigger one in. Looking at pre builts they are £ 500+ want to get an idea of the cost of materials from people who,ve built their own. Would rather block as it needs less maintence than wood.

Oh and I fancy a project for the summer….

DT78
    Free Member

Stoner that looks huge. This will be the first time I,ve tried anything more advanced than fitted cupboards.

wrightyson
    Free Member

😆 stoner, with it being block work you could safely put a wood burner in there, (go on stoner just one more time)
    Blocks circa 60p each, 10 to the square metre. Simple 4×2 roof at 400 centres, lath and felt, slate/tile roof, pointing to verges/ridges. Lotta work, it’s a mini house really, you need to think base/founds first really cos you can’t go building a block shed of reclaimed 3×2 slabs!

Stoner
    Free Member

10′ x 13′ ish if you exclude the lean-too

size isnt really an issue, the construction is much the same, although for smaller floor areas you can probably go for a less substantial roof.

A spirit level and a bit of gumption and off you go.

Stoner
    Free Member

wrighty – do it properly son! Bit of cast concrete insulated former is the way to go, shirley?! 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d centre it all around the log burner and wood stack tho 😉 😆
    However I’d suspend a pre shuttered and poured floating flue at the centre of the shed to add some “industrial” feel to it all!
    Apologies DT78 for the ridiculous hijack, we can actually help if you want.

Stoner
    Free Member

put it in the corner, not the middle…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

wrightyson
    Free Member

Is that In your gaff stoner?? Not seen that one before. Just shown the wife and she said to me is that the bloke who’s doing that beautiful house up 😐 you’ve clearly made an impression and raised “her indoors” expectations of what my building skills can produce, cheers mate!! 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

dont worry, not mine.

Mine is far more discrete:

But Mrs wrightyson obviously has great taste and an acute memory 🙂

but something Ive always wanted was one of those scandanavian corner stoves with tiered tiled steps up the outside that the family would sleep on. Couldnt find a decent pic. will go and look again…

Stoner
    Free Member

😉 @ ernie

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thank **** for that 😀

Well I deleted my post anyway.

I think your shed looks beautiful btw 😉

amodicumofgnar

Oh, I’m having Sunday night shed and stove envy.

Stoner
    Free Member

here we are, a masonry stove:

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘building a block shed’ is closed to new replies.