Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Budget – I'm actually better off – blimey!
  • Ewan
    Free Member

According to the beeb, me and the wife will actually be better off next year by a few hundred quid. Frankly I’m staggered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17442946

Not sure I believe it since we both have well paid jobs no kids and have been shafted in every budget I can remember!

Anyone actually worse off?

mrmo
    Free Member

i am in cash terms better off, but, inflation means i won’t be.

I enjoy my job but i guess i might have to look for a new one sooner rather than later 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

We are supposedly better off too. Of course, that doesn’t take account of rising food and fuel prices……

Mind you, my pension is going up by around 4.5% to,….

anagallis_arvensis

You’ve got well paid jobs and will be better of under tories wow what a suprise.

footflaps

Wow, me too – a whole £152 / year better off!

jam-bo

On paper, but pretty sure it’ll get clawed back elsewhere.

anagallis_arvensis

£414 worse off and thats not including pay freeze and pension payment increase.

Drac

According to the beeb, me and the wife will actually be better off next year by a few hundred quid. Frankly I’m staggered.

Are you one Dave’s banker friends?

Oooh £314 better off according to that link.

Ewan
    Free Member

£414 worse off and thats not including pay freeze and pension payment increase.

Yep – if we had kids we’d be shafted.

Ewan
    Free Member

Anyone who doesn’t have kids and earns more than £7910 appears to be better off according to that calculator.

Assuming you don’t smoke / drink which are hardly the fault of the state.

druidh
    Free Member

I have one child and, as I’ve already mentioned, I’m better off.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oooh £314 better off according to that link.

😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I will be £160 better off 🙂

Then the taxman will claw back the £414 i owe due to them not taxing me properly 2 years ago 🙁

So i will be £254 worse off before i even start to eat…

allyharp

160 odd quid better off, can’t complain at that.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I will be £2.24 worse off. enjoy spending my money mr Cameron 😆

Drac

Working in the NHS, no I’m certainly not.

I have 2 kids and put the same info in but without kids, it made no difference.

molgrips
    Free Member

£302 worse off it seems.

mudshark
    Free Member

Worse off – I’m still losing child benefit

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Im £464 worse off, whats that all about. Seems to be all in the tax credits.

clubber
    Free Member

£149 worse off as a family despite the usual muppets probably considering me one of the nasty rich people.

peteimpreza

Come on TJ and Ernie, you can both articulate a better response to this smoke and mirror act by the Tory chinless wonders!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I can’t see how its accurate. After putting income in it says we’re about £900 down, but then after putting our cars in it says were £150 better off! I didn’t know that fuel duty or road tax was being cut so dramatically?

bruneep

+£256, however no pay rise for the last 2yrs pension contributions going up costing me an extra £400 per year.

I certainly doubt that calculator is correct, so many things it doesn’t take account of.

carlosg
    Free Member

Woohoo , £567 up according to that website.

That can go towards the holidays.

Spud

Well paid jobs and a lot worse under these cretins, there isn’t a box for screwed over public sector worker on the BBC’s calculator!

miketually
    Free Member

We’re a bit better off according to the BBC calculator, because we don’t drink or drive much and earn enough to pay tax but not enough to lose child benefit.

But, 14000 millionnaires have been handed a tax cut great than my salary. And it didn’t take into account the increased pension contributions I’m going to have to make or the pay freeze and worsening working conditions.

djglover
    Free Member

-350 Child benefit
    +252 tax
    +91 NI
    = 7 worse off

Not sure what the point of that is, I was expecting to be much worse off, joint income is about £110K

coffeeking
    Free Member

We’re slightly better off, £250 between the two of us.

Ewan
    Free Member

From reading the budget they’ve upped the personnel allowance as expected. I assumed they’d lowered the point at which the 40% rate kicks in to pay for it, but they haven’t so everyone is quids in from that change (if you earn more than the old personnel allowance).

Seems to be why we’re better off anyway.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Come on TJ and Ernie, you can both articulate a better response to this smoke and mirror act by the Tory chinless wonders!!

Sod off…………..according to the link I’m gonna be £152 better off 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

of course middle class relatively affluent people are better off – its tory tax cut budget.
    🙄

Transfer money from poor to rich – thats what the tories do

Millionaires get a huge chunk of the pie

the top 1% of earners get 17% of the income and own 23% of the nations ealth – and they get the most in tax cuts. what a suprise.

throw a few crumbs to the middle classes to stop them getting too restive. Sod the poor

From reading the budget they’ve upped the personnel allowance as expected. I assumed they’d lowered the point at which the 40% rate kicks in to pay for it, but they haven’t so everyone is quids in from that change (if you earn more than the old personnel allowance).

Seems to be why we’re better off anyway.

They have lowered the 40% rate threshold, by about a grand

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Transfer money from poor to rich – thats what the tories do

Yeah but to be fair the poor don’t know how to spend money……..they always end up buying tat.

tthew

I assumed they’d lowered the point at which the 40% rate kicks in to pay for it, but they haven’t

It said on Radio 4 this evening that they will do this. By the same amount as the increase, so 40-percenters should be even from this respect.

edit – too slow!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

According to that, I’m a Reverb, Seatpost clamp and saddle worse off!

Drac

of course middle class relatively affluent people are better off – its tory tax cut budget.

£583 pa better off for 2 people earning £9k each and the rest of the info same as mine. I call that a win for the ‘poor’.

kimbers

50 quid better off,(me and the missus) but pay freeze vs inflation and pension rises will more than offset that

coffeeking
    Free Member

Single male earning £1m would be £80 worse off.

mboy
    Free Member

Sod the poor

Hmmm… You’ve ignored the tax threshold rise to £9205 then, which the Beeb have quoted “He is also going to raise the threshold at which people start paying tax to £9,205, leaving millions of working people over £200 better off.” 😕

Good old TJ, never fails to only pick out the bits of information relevant to his argument, and exclude the rest… Plus ca change! 😉

smoothchicken

If the calculator is to be believed we’ll be £923 worse off. What is scary though is that we’ll be paying nearly my salary in taxes for us + 3 tiddlers every year, bargain!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Budget – I'm actually better off – blimey!’ is closed to new replies.