Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • budget big travel
  • petersnell
    Free Member

Having just returned from Afan on the lbs demo specialized enduro 29er I now really fancy a long travel “enduro ish” bike to go with my gyro 29er. Unfortunately I don’t have £3600 to spend!
    With a bit of saving what would you recommend for around a £1000 ish for a second hand bike that would work well for trips away to bpw, fod and possibly further afield ? Previously owned a heckler which was a good bike though a bit short in the top tube.
    Any recommendations?

wiggles
    Free Member

So you demo’d a bike from lbs so you could decide that you want a 2nd hand bike ? 🙄

you could get a five for that or a spesh pitch

chrishc777
    Free Member

There’s an sb66 in the classifieds for 1100 that I would be all over if I didn’t have a Covert

petersnell
    Free Member

Thanks wiggles, demo was offered to me as I know the manager and I made it quite clear that I couldn’t afford to buy it. Seems he wanted to use it himself and wasn’t allowed to until a “customer” had taken it out.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Hmmm that is a bit of a tough one, especially if you want something like the Spesh Enduro 29er 160mm which has a huge ammount of travel for 29 inch bike.

This is 140mm and quite long like the Enduro.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBTIELG29X5/titus-el-guapo-29er-sram-x5-mountainbike

jools182
    Free Member

Hire a private jet to the Riviera for a few weeks then charter a yacht to the Caribbean.

Oh,hang on

petersnell
    Free Member

Titus looks good though I would be after a large being 6ft 1. Sorry should have said any wheel size really, already have a short travel 29er.
    Was thinking of all the bargain 26″ wheel bikes I keep hearing about! Don’t really expect the performance of the 29er enduro just something fun and bouncy!

scandal42
    Free Member

El Guapo looks really good for that money, I’m trying not to look at that page anymore as I reckon you could make a wicked bike from that.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you planning to ride up hills?

petersnell
    Free Member

Will still have to get up a hill though doesn’t have to be the fastest, steady seated grind. Was looking at older 2010/11 spesh enduro or pitch Type of bikes. Anything else I should be looking out for, as I said won’t be for a while till I save some money.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega
    Enduro
    Orange Alpine
    Lapierre Spicy
    Saracen Ariel 160mm

Possibly going up a size and fitting a short stem, to get something closer to current geometry.

petersnell
    Free Member

Thanks chakaping, will have a look at those.
    I’ve seen a few lapierres in my budget on the evil bay, correct me if I’m wrong but did they have a reputation for snapping frames? Was this on certain years only or am I talking cobblers?
    Cheers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘budget big travel’ is closed to new replies.