• This topic has 52 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Where to live roughly equidistant from Newcastle – Manchester?
  • chestrockwell

Otley has a Waitrose

And it’s one of the worst supermarkets I’ve ever been in. At least Booths are usually quite nice to wonder round even if the price of the most basic stuff makes your eyes bleed.

lemonysam
    Free Member

And it’s one of the worst supermarkets I’ve ever been in.

Christ, heaven forbid you find yourself in Merion Morrisons.

john_drummer
    Free Member

to be fair, the only stuff I get from Booths is the beer.

Everything else I get from a mix of all the others, bar Tesco (nothing especially wrong with Tesco IMO, but it’s usually in the opposite direction to where I’m going)

re Merrion Morrisons – Morley isn’t much better 😉

slowoldman

Booths is a rip off and not even that good. Poor mans M&S.
    Controversial

[/quote]
    Bollocks more like. M&S is rubbish by comparison.

Meanwhile – Wetherby has a good chippy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Booths is great, some may be better than others but the Keswick one was my local. As for proximity to the M62 being a good thing it just means that you will get to the trans pennine car park a little quicker.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Thirsk – east coast rain line. Good pubs, few decent resturants , best fish and chips on planet, cinema, live music pubs, swimming pool, A19 access, york 15mins on train, mtb wise boltby sutton bank dalby north york moors endless reallly, houses reasonably priced

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I live in North Leeds and work in both Newcastle and Manchester.

My worse journey time to Newcastle (90 miles) has been 2 hours where’s as Manchester (40 miles) is routinely 2 hours and often more.

I’ve worked this patch for 5 years and the M62 us getting progressively worse by the month, the A1 is a pretty good road in general.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for Thirsk..
    Or nearby, some like Sutton under Whitestone etc..
    If I could, I’d move back there tomorrow.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve worked this patch for 5 years and the M62 us getting progressively worse by the month, the A1 is a pretty good road in general.

Not only the M62, all roads are getting worse as the economy picks up, fuel prices come down and less routine maintenance means more unplanned and disruptive repairs are needed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s more of a problem on things like the M62 as it was utterly crap 3 years ago.

john_drummer
    Free Member

that was 3 years ago. the roadworks to make it Managed Motorway have finished now. At least the ones between the M1 and Huddersfield have.

There will still be accidents, and when there are accidents it will be painful, but in my experience it has got a lot better since then, on the Leeds-Hudds stretch anyway. I hardly ever go over the hill these days so I’ve no idea what it’s like beyond Huddersfield

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve had quite a few jobs as a student and in my early working life around cars and vans and I was always amazed at how readily people would jump in a car or a van to make what I considered a spurious trip. The way traffic levels dropped during the recent crisis years just proved to me that the problem is caused by thoughtless and unnecessary use of the car. My boss is a car dinosaur; drives a mahoosive 4×4 very incompetently and would think nothing of driving to London to meet a client, taking five to eight hours depending on the traffic, while I sit in the train sipping my coffee and reading my paper for 2 hours 15 minutes. In fact he was shocked when he discovered that I take the train.

br
    Free Member

I live in North Leeds and work in both Newcastle and Manchester.

My worse journey time to Newcastle (90 miles) has been 2 hours where’s as Manchester (40 miles) is routinely 2 hours and often more.

Which is why I suggested living across in the NW – btw it was like this 20 years ago too when I was driving +40k pa and lived in South Leeds.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Where to live roughly equidistant from Newcastle – Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.