Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Budget
  • kimbers

good news increasing isa max to 10k a year

and no stamp duty up to 250k and doubling it on houses over a million

go darling

its a shame the torries will probably dump these measure straight away!

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Don't they have to wait at least a year to dump them or can they have a post-election budget immeadiately if they win and undo this one?

kimbers

judging by the stonyfaced miserable expressions on the torry front bench when the million pound stamp duty doubling they mat have to wait a year to reverse it!

vinnyeh

and no stamp duty up to 250k

For first time buyers

I wonder how much difference that'll make.

Tiering stamp duty properly would have been helpful, to buyers and sellers, though less so to the government…

cranberry
    Free Member

Darling can promise what he likes* – he's got less than 2 months to go in his current job.

The Conservatives will have to have another budget very soon after the election to start putting the economy right ( you have noticed that we are running at close to Greek levels of government debt, haven't you? ).

* I am sure that Brown will be pressing him to give a solid gold puppy to everyone who might be tempted to vote Labour, in order to be "the party of the many, not of the few" but that doesn't mean that we can afford it.

jam-bo

well he's just lost the tramps vote…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ohh when does the no stamp duty for <250k come in?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Midnight tonight – for 1st time buyers

dave_aber
    Free Member

Cider up at inflation +10% !!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Woo Hoo

edit: This is for the stamp duty not the cider 🙁

kimbers

stamp duty changes midnight tonight 🙂

and yes as a first time buyer currently negotiating a house purchase this helps me massively

and i havent drank cider since a bad experience when i was 14!

vinnyeh

and yes as a first time buyer currently negotiating a house purchase this helps me massivel

Maybe, maybe not. If I was selling to you, I'd expect the diference to be split. 😆

Coyote
    Free Member

well he's just lost the tramps vote…

I liked that one!!! 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

>its a shame the torries will probably dump these measure straight away!

Why would the tories drop the ISA limit increase (which was announced ages ago) ?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Is Cranberry the new Mark Datz? discuss. 🙄

GrahamS

and no stamp duty up to 250k
    For first time buyers
    I wonder how much difference that'll make.
    Tiering stamp duty properly would have been helpful, to buyers and sellers, though less so to the government…

Would have made a big difference to me. Could have put more capital into our mortgage and thus would be less skint.

Stamp Duty was/is already tiered no?
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/TaxOnPropertyAndRentalIncome/DG_4015918

dazh

The Conservatives will have to have another budget very soon after the election to start putting the economy right

Presumably you mean by plunging us back into recession and dumping another million on the dole? Still as long as it keeps the bankers and the ratings agencies happy, that's the main thing.

And why cider and not other forms of alcohol? Seems a bit arbitrarily random to me.

BigDummy
    Free Member

BELIZE!!!!!

Nakedly political and a bit sad, but still brilliant. 🙂

RustyMac

Blooming stamp duty is up and down more often than a whore's knickers. It was £175k up to December 31st then dropped back to £125k now up to a whopping £250k. Perfect just in time for me closing on my first flat on Friday, a 1 bed after looking for a 2 and being pricked about by stamp duty changing.

Brilliant, fantastic, super, wonderful.

binners

I did like Call-me-Dave's comment about most cabinet ministers being 'mentioned in Dispatches'. Very good

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

The way things are there is no guarantee that the Tories will win the next election. There is increasing speculation that there will be a hung parliament which may not help anyone. Or it may turn out to be a surprisingly beneficial thing. As long as Brown goes I will feel there is some sense of justice in politics. 🙂

I am not sure that the next government have to keep all budget commitments for a minimum period of time before changing them. The glumness may have been that they feel the stamp duty idea was one of their own and has just been nicked.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think if I was running for Labour's election campaign I'd be pretty pleased with Darling this afternoon.

History will be much kinder to the man than we are at present.

kimbers

darling came accross quite well i thought sounded very much like a chancellor than a scotish preacher

one of the torries biggest weaknesses is surely osbornes

Junkyard
    Free Member

who me the 18 th baronetency of Waterford alone in the uk with the purse strings what were they thinking off.

Flaperon

It's cheaper to dump a million unneeded public servants on the dole than it is to keep them managing their carbon targets or whatever bollocks an awful lot of them are doing.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Is the Cider rise to put it on a more level playing field with other alcoholic beverages?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member

It's cheaper to dump a million unneeded public servants on the dole than it is to keep them managing their carbon targets or whatever bollocks an awful lot of them are doing.

Wrong – its actually more expensive as they then have less money to buy stuff so all the shopkeepers and manufacturers go out of business – this is the lesson from previous Recessions. Result 2 million more people out of work and the economy down the pan big style. Only this time there is no north sea oil bonanza to pay for all the unemployment benefits and increased sickness

vinnyeh

No, the duty rate depends on the purchase price of the house, but that rate applies to the whole purchase price.
    Imagine if you fell into the top tax bracket, and paid that rate on your whole income, not just the portion over £37k or whatever it is.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

this is the lesson from previous Recessions

Countless previous recessions actually…right through the twentieth century.

Brick wall.
    Head.
    Banging.

GrahamS

No, the duty rate depends on the purchase price of the house, but that rate applies to the whole purchase price.

Ah gotcha. So you'd rather see an income tax type system for stamp duty? Yeah I can see that would be better.

Personally I just want to see these "stamps" I've apparently paid for. They better be really nice!

Stoner
    Free Member

Countless previous recessions actually…right through the twentieth century.

silly economists eh? chuh!

Youd have thought they would all have noticed how obvious it all is if a scottish nurse and bristolian tiler can have got it licked!

just to help a little…if the state maintains public employment on the daft premise that keeping all those Equal Opportunities Compliance Officers employed keeps up consumption then it must be funded. Since the net tax income on such consumption is less than 100% that means taking funds from the private sector economy OR from the future economy to do it.

The former will stifle the more productive method of growing an economy, the latter would be an insult to our children in having them pay for Gordon's profligacy.

EDIT: as it happens Im not necessarily against Keynesian economic stimuli (I favour a smaller state purely for libertarian reasons), but it's not even remotely as simple as thinking you can just increase the state wage bill to create economic growth.

Stoner
    Free Member

Graham – I think he means marginal increase in the rate of duty is applied to each tranche not to the whole. Which would be sensible and avoid the silly buggering around at the threshold levels of price.

kimbers

Since the net tax income on such consumption is less than 100% that means taking funds from the private sector economy OR from the future economy to do it.

its not just about the direct tax reclaimed on the wages of these public sector workers, surely their modest injection of cash into private sector business will help stimulate the growth and expansion of the private sector, leading to higher tax returns

although 'equal opportunity compliance officers'-(obvious daily mail pc gone mad intimations aside) may not be the most efficient use of public employment im sure there are some worthy public sector jobs

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

bristolian tiler

Wrong on both accounts, but I suspect you knew that anyway…don't be such a patronising twit Stoner.

as it happens Im not necessarily against Keynesian economic stimuli

No, nor me, and as it happens, that's more or less what I should have said, i.e. that I'm more in favour of economic stimuli rather than slash and burn style cuts.

mudshark
    Free Member

no stamp duty up to 250k and doubling it on houses over a million

Double? Are you sure about that?

Stoner
    Free Member

don't be such a patronising twit Stoner.

yeah, alright. Ill remember my 🙂 next time

kimbers – im not just referring to the direct tax take on the employment to fund the consumption but I do agree with you, However, initially the revenue gap is large and the argument goes that the time it takes to repay the state stimulus is longer and deeper than if the private sector is fiscally incentivised instead.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – I'd get money into the private sector – we need to earn money as a country not just shovel it round in circle – however cutting public sector is a poor idea as it would not save much money overall. Increasing it for the sake of it is not what I suggested in my very oversimplified critique of a very oversimplified "slash and burn" post

I'd be looking at investment in infrastructure – most of the money spent would be in wages in the UK so the money stays here and we get something out of it as well as devaluing the pound to improve exports ( at he cost of inflation)

dazh

The former will stifle the more productive method of growing an economy, the latter would be an insult to our children in having them pay for Gordon's profligacy.

Come on all this hysteria about the deficit and public debt is just Tory scaremongering to give them the excuse to slash and burn the public sector and finish off what Thatcher started. Yes the deficit and public debt is large. But it's perfectly sustainable provided the recovery is supported and continues.

The tories have one agenda, and that's to make sure the poor and middle classes pay for the mess that's been created by their friends in the city.

binners

The figures for where they're cutting costs…. oh, sorry…. making 'efficiency savings' are laughable.

It seems to amount to: We're going to save 100 squillion pounds a year by buying the Whitehall biscuits from Aldi instead of Waitrose, and…..erm…. erm….. probably using less pens and stuff

They must think we've all just fallen out of a ****ing tree

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Budget’ is closed to new replies.