Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brooks saddles.?
  • fairhurst
    Free Member

Does anyone on STW use them?your thoughts most appreciated

i am thinking of purchasing one.

thank you.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Yes. Heavy, take some breaking in, but very comfortable when done. Last forever.

oldgit
    Free Member

I bought a Swift model for my training bike. I wanted a tough, comfortable and long lasting bit of kit to match the rest of the bike.
    It was fantastically comfortable out of the box.
    The downside came when it rained. During a wet 100km it sagged and stretched to the point of almost tearing. I was pretty unhappy about that. After all I’d used them in the 70s and 80s and didn’t look after them at all and still got back faultless service.
    Apparently they need to be kept dry with either a saddle cover and/or mudguards. Well I can’t see the point of buying and expensive bit of leather kit and having to ride with a Tescos bag over it. And most modern bikes don’t run guards.
    Needless to say I’ve removed it as I don’t think it’s fit for purpose.
    That said I’ve recently restored my old Condor, that does run guards and has a saddle pack, so the Brooks is now on that.
    I can’t see one lasting on an MTB if just one road ride nearlly killed mine.
    ****ing still love it though 😐

fairhurst
    Free Member

tinribz
    Free Member

They do similier at SpaCycles for half the price, anyone tried those?

mlke
    Free Member

I have a couple of Brooks B17. Find them to be very comfortable saddles. I only use them on road bikes not mountain mostly ‘cos they’re wide for descents when I want to get over the back wheel. Other models (swift) I know aren’t as wide. They’re ok in the rain if proofed. When they do get soaked I haven’t had a problem after allowing them to dry out and reproofing. I’ll leave a plastic bag on them if I’m leaving the bike out in rain – pub stop/shopping etc but otherwise don’t cover them

DWH
    Free Member

I’ve used Brooks Ti-railed Swifts on my MTB for years without any wetness related stretching problems. I have broken a few of the tensioner brackets though. Dead comfy for long distances.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There was a nice honey coloured B17 in the classifieds the other day. Do a search.

EDIT – here you go.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-105-triple-chainset-wi-18t-wheel-brooks-b17s-700c-wheel

EDIT EDIT – Its a ladies one 😀

redfordrider
    Free Member

2 x B17s here, but on touring bikes…and with rain covers and mudguards for reasons that oldgit has explained. It’s a favourite with people who get saddle sores and other complications – the reason I got one in the first place.

Not really useful on a MTB.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Yeah I have used a few.

look after it and it will work well.

unovolo
    Free Member

I had a B17 Special on my Mtb ,was the comfiest saddle I have owned and never had a problem with it disintegrating in the rain ,I did however smother it in proofride(top and underside) before I ever used it which may have helped.
    Once wet however you should let it thoroughly dry out before riding it again otherwise you will end up with a prematurely stretched/baggy saddle.

Only downsides for me are weight,width when getting off the back of the saddle and price of a new replacement.

oldgit
    Free Member

Once wet however you should let it thoroughly dry out before riding it again otherwise you will end up with a prematurely stretched/baggy saddle.

Which is a problem if you’re riding high miles in the wet for days on end.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I have one. They need TLC with the proofing stuff, and a rear guard; that’s the downside. The upside is that the seat and your bum adapt to each other, like with no other saddle; and my new one came with a waterproof cover.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m thinking of one, I can get them trade. Heavy tho.

oldgit – Member
    Which is a problem if you’re riding high miles in the wet for days on end.

…without mudguards…

They sell waterproof covers BTW, only £5.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Brooks saddles.?’ is closed to new replies.