Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bronson fork Pike advice
  • poonprice
    Free Member

Hey STW,

Need some advice on what fork on my new bike. I just ordered a Bronson and it was spec’d with Rockshox Pike Solo Air RCT3.

However, had a message from the bike shop today saying they can’t get the agreed fork now until the 20th Nov but I have a biking holiday booked from Saturday and due to pickup the bike tomorrow, they have given me the option of a non-boost 160 Pike or a boost 160/130 2 Position Pike which I assume is the RC? they also say this fork is more expensive but willing to give it me for same price.

I had a search on here and dug up an old RTC3 vs RC post and overall consensus was RTC3 offered slightly better performance.

This is a big spend for me so want the best for my money, not sure if i’m being fobbed off by the bike shop because they want the sale or not.

What are your thoughts on boost/non-boost up front or RTC3 vs RC.

Cheers in advance for any help.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’d go for the non boost 160 rather than the 160/130.
    Why have additional weight and a function you will never need.

legend
    Free Member

160/130 2 Position Pike which I assume is the RC?

Why would you assume that? Just ask em if its RCT or not?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

High time for a new, new bike . Or failing that the non boost pike

gonzy
    Free Member

just order some Lyriks instead

sweaman2
    Free Member

I don’t know if things have changed but I’ve always previously found dual position anything (with perhaps the exception of the old U-turn coil) to be worse performing than single position equivalent.

zelak999
    Free Member

ENVE’s take on the New Boost Standard

‘We love it! Increased wheel stiffness at a tiny weight penalty is always great news for us. We think the boosted rear, standard front will become ubiquitous in all high-end bikes, as you have already seen in the new entrants from Yeti and Santa Cruz. Boost is here to stay… At least until the next standard is developed. If you’re in the market for a new bike today, make sure that the frame’s rear end is “boosted.” The front end only really needs boost if you want a higher level of front end stiffness, or plan on testing out plus size tires.’

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Pike Solo Air RCT3

got that on mine. For me 160mm would mess up the steering, 150mm for me seems to be the sweet spot. I’d wait.

nairnster
    Free Member

I would ask them to put on something that matches the spec of the original fork – 150mm etc, and for them to absorb any cost difference. If it’s lower spec, for them to agree to replace it with the correct fork when they receive it.

If they are not willing to do either, ask them why they think you should still buy from them.

Superficial
    Free Member

Surely you can get hold of the right fork from somewhere? Failing that you could get the shop to swap the air spring which would convert a 160 to 150. Assuming you can find the right air spring at short notice.

I wouldn’t care about RC vs RCT3 tbh. They feel identical, the RCT3 just has an extra dial you’ll never use. The RC should be a bit cheaper though so get a refund.

I would care about Length though. If 150mm is right for a Bronson, don’t compromise with a longer fork. My understanding is that the 160/130mm forks are OK but it’s a bit of extra weight and a bit of extra valving/stiction so unless you’re going to make use of that function it’s not worth having. Boost can suck it, don’t care.

wiggles
    Free Member

Get this instead, in stock ready for next day delivery….

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/Mobile/MBSCProduct.asp?pdtid=20837263

Lyrik is out of stock with supplier in the right size, that would be my second choice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bronson fork Pike advice’ is closed to new replies.