Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • broken wrist
  • jacko54321
    Free Member

so i broke my wrist at work yesterday, (link to photo incase people dont want to see disfiured arm) http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5674567&l=ddf08ab5ba&id=603591966

i broke both bones,dislocated wrist and a fracture that goes up the bone.

anyone done similar? do you still have pain, how long to properly recover?

im having an operation tomorow to realign the bones again with metal ties and possibly plates

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Obviously each break is different, but when I had bolts put in when I broke my scaphoid it was a couple of months before I could ride again.

Good luck with it though – does look quite nasty!

sweepy
    Free Member

make sure you see a physio, dont wait to be sent an appointment- tell them you'll turn up for cancellations at short notice, and make sure they understand you are an active person that needs to recover maximum function. Then follow their instructions to the letter.

jacko54321
    Free Member

big golf competition on 14 august… unrealistic?

nickjb
    Free Member

August this year?

jacko54321
    Free Member

yea

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I sanpped my Radius a couple of years ago and had it k wired together and was back on a bike in 6 1/2 weeks but it took me 3 months to get back on a golf course though. Mainly because of lack of movement in my wrist, it also really hurt if I didn't hit the ball cleanly for about another month or so after that. Yours looks a lot worse too.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Sorry to be a misery but I think the chances of golf on the 14th August are slim to none with the emphasis on none …..
    I don't think you'll have regained enough movement or strength in order to play.
    Always happy for patients to prove me wrong though ….

jacko54321
    Free Member

thats upseting, i have probably qualified for the EGU gold medal at woodhall spa this year, was looking foward and was getting ready to practice hard, thaught i had i had a chance of winning as well.

jacko54321
    Free Member

sprootlet are you a doctor? i was talking to my dad and he said i should go for a fiberglass cast so that i can still be active and not worry about the cast getting sweaty and skanky

sprootlet
    Free Member

No, I'm physio, scotch cast (fibreglass) is much more comfortable than plaster of paris but your wrist will be in a cast for a number of weeks and when it comes off you'll be horrified at
    how hairy your wrist is
    how thin your arm has become
    Don't be surprised if the cast comes off and your pain levels increase and don't expect the cast to come off and you be able to move your wrist freely.

lister

i broke mine in a similar stylee last year, it was plated together. Cast came off after 2 weeks as obviously the fracture was stabilised, but i had a velcro splint for a few weeks, it felt VERY weak and vunerable without the splint. But I had to force myself to wean myself off it to get strength back. There is no way I could have done anything as physical as golf within a few weeks…I broke mine at the beginning of May, didn't ride until end of August I think.

Sorry! But…do all the physio you can, get it in hot water and bend the bugger as much as possible, I'm rubbish with pain but I wish I'd pushed more cos 14 months down the line I'm still not back to anywhere near 100% mobility. Day to day is fine, but I doubt it'll ever be fully right though.

Good luck!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Done mine 8 years ago. Dislocated 90 degrees inwards, open fracture so operated straight away (and a couple of more times later in the week!), broke end off ulner, shattered radius.

Had a bone graft from my hip and an external fixator titanium cradle thing on for 2 months. Career ending/changing (hence the trowel being rusty). Couple of years off the bike as not strong enough or enough movement or confidence.

Still very limited movement now as the bones don't rotate anymore.
    Doesn't really hurt that much, but very wary of putting too much weight through it or landing on it (wear a pretty meaty brace when riding). It's a bit numb most mornings until it gets warmed up and moving.

Hope it's not this bad 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Broke my scaphoid May last year, was in a cast for 3 months, got movement back pretty quick afterwards (about 2 weeks with physio) but over 12 months on it still hurts when I "over" use it – ie. using a screw driver…

Something's not quite right, got an mri in the next few weeks.

I hope you've broken any other bone than the scaphoid.

ive broken my arm and got a plate in it, then broken it twice more afterwards. Depends on how your body responds to the operation but you need to try and get your motor skill back in your hand asap, that is important for a speedy recovery. It took me 6 weeks or a cast, and six weeks without before my arm was back to normal each time. Doctors are always surprised at the speed my bones heal but that only half the battle.

Just be aware that once you have a plate fitted that it is alot easier to break again

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Nice!

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

I would not bet on you making it to that comp in any fit state to do yourself justice. You might make it to the comp and be able to play, but that is about it.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I could play golf about 2 years after doing mine. At least my swings not too wristy 😕

jacko54321
    Free Member

just got in from hospital, operation went well and i a K-wire and no plate, looks like a cross on the xray, i'v kind of given up on the idea of woodhall spa which is very upsetting, got to go back in 2 weeks to go to a fracture clinic

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘broken wrist’ is closed to new replies.