Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Broken Gravity Dropper
  • druidh
    Free Member

My 3 1/2 year-old Gravity Dropper has just come apart on me. My fault I reckon as it was slipping in the shim and had reached the point where the external part of the trigger mechanism was resting on the shim. This part has now come away from the body.

Has anyone managed to repair theirs? I'm presuming some sort of glue/bonding is required so any suggestions as to what would be the best metal-to-metal sticky-on stuff would be great.

juan
    Free Member

Drop them an email for a spare parts. LBS do it all the time they will send it to you for free probably if you mail me a pic of what part is it I might even help

Del

there's a full exploded diagram and list of spares on the GD website IIRC.

brant
    Free Member

Araldite and a couple of jubilee clips?

khani
    Free Member

you can tell he works in a shed 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

brant – Member
    Araldite and a couple of jubilee clips?

TBH – that was my first thought 🙂

Kahurangi

Just araldite it and don't let it slip down till it's resting on the lug again. 😆

You'll put jubilee clips on and then realise they won't do much and take them off as they could also do damage when hoiking/carrying the bike and look silly.

boblo
    Free Member

Mine did that and apparently, it's quite common.

I repaired mine with some epoxy and a couple of cable ties. BEWARE…. if you glue it with the pin in place, you can glue the pin in the enganged position resulting in a Gravityfixed rather than dropper. Also, if your alignment is only slightly out, the pin won't release/engage properly.

Bond it with the pin out using something else as a locating peg then ream out the hole a little once the epoxy has gone off.

You'll need to send it back to the US if you want them to fix it. They, nor the new importer, wouldn't replace mine like for like.

Crag
    Free Member

Mine did the same when I was coming down cut gate about a year ago. Did a trailside repair with 2 cable ties which have held ever since.

Keep meaning to get it fixed properly but while ever it's working I'll probably not touch it.

Crag
    Free Member

bonesetter
    Free Member

Just had to glue one of mine mine for the second time (in 5 months). Used Araldite but this time sanded both sides well.

The final solution would be to weld it (with an aluminum welder of course)

brant
    Free Member

The final solution would be to weld it (with an aluminum welder of course)

Causing internal distortion or just general buggeration if they've used unweldable alloys (they do exist).

boblo
    Free Member

There's probably a good reason why they've chosen to bond rather than weld…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Broken Gravity Dropper’ is closed to new replies.