Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Playing Sky in a second room
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have a Sky+ box and want to put a tv in the kitchen/diner and split the feed from the Sky+ box. I do NOT want to watch another channel, simply have a second feed from the box. The main tv takes its feed from the HDMI out on the box so the question is:

Does the box allow multiple outs (say if I ran an aux out) or will it only allow one feed at once (ie, switch off one of the outputting feeds)?

I don't want to use one of those wireless transmitters as every one I have seen has been very poor quality.

TN
    Free Member

We got a Sky 'Eye' (I think it was called) that allows us to watch the same channel in two rooms. I don't remember if it is hard wired into the dish or if it plugs into the box but we got it through Sky so I would assume they still do such a product?
    (Is that what you meant, or did I just get the wrong end of the stick?)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah that's what I want to do – A Sky Eye?

Where is Google?….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Is the quality any good on that then? I see it is a transmitter and as I said in my OP – the transmitted ones I have seen have been a bit gash.

sharkbait
    Free Member

This is my setup:
    Connect existing aerial cable to output port on Sky box.
    Other end of aerial cable plugs into a distribution unit in the loft.
    From the distribution unit I can connect other cables going to any rooms (I have 2 others using aerial cables that were already installed)

What you are watching on the 'main' telly is pushed throuout the house and you use 'magic eyes' in the other rooms to control the sky box remotely.

Our maintelly has freeview built in so we can watch anythning freeview on that while the kids watch sky channels on the other telly if required.

Works well and cheap/easy to set up.

Sky box only outputs standard definition even on HD boxes.

sweepy
    Free Member

with ordinary boxes there is an RF out and you use coax cable to link to the other TV, the sky eye just allows you to change channel from the other room

sharkbait
    Free Member

here you go:

Sky distribution stuff

The magic eyes are TVLink – just plug into the aerial socket inbetween the telly and the aerial cable.

If you only want to feed one other telly then you don't need the distribution unit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sweepy – so if I plug in an RF out and feed it to the second location it won't cancel the output from the HDMI out?

uplink
    Free Member

as sweepy said
    Just run a cable from RF OUT2 to the other telly – make sure you enable it in the setup menu

1. Press SERVICES
    2. Press 4 for SYSTEM SETUP
    3. Press 0 then 1 then Press SELECT – to enter Installers Menu
    4. Press 4 for RF OUTLETS
    5. scroll down to RF OUTLET POWER SUPPLY and turn it to on.
    6. Scroll down to SAVE NEW SETTINGS and Press SELECT to store the changes
    7. Press BACKUP to go Back to your Sky channel

sharkbait
    Free Member

^^ No

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers – that's all I needed to know. Now I just have to make sure I have it set up in time for the World Cup.

🙂

sweepy
    Free Member

didnt on mine

monkey_boy
    Free Member

I got one of these from Argos for my mother last week and the quality is spot on.

thingy

it works perfect on the tv in the kitchen but in the bedroom it was crap so you may want to get a higher frequency one

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Playing Sky in a second room’ is closed to new replies.