Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Broadband provider recommendations please
  • Stuey01
    Free Member

Appealing the STW massive for some advice…

Up to now I’ve been paying through the nose for BT telephone and broadband. I’m moving house and I’ve just cancelled with them due to having to commit to 18months or pay exorbitant home moving fees. Plus their service is ropey and way overpriced, I’ve wanted to leave for a while and am taking this opportunity to do so.

I’m after recommendations for a new provider for telephone and broadband. Sadly the new place is not in a fibre optic area otherwise I’d be getting Virgin with TV.

Requirements:
    – Must be able to take ownership of the line and provide both without needing a BT line.
    – Good value
    – The telephone won’t be used, it is just to have a line for the broadband so calls packages are not important.
    – Decent download limit – 40GB a month upwards
    – Good service/reliability – will be used for home working over VPN regularly (once or twice a week)
    – Good speed. The line from the exchange can apparently support 8-12mbps, this is way faster than I have now so would be well happy with that.
    – 12 month contract max.

Virgin, Talktalk, O2 all seem to have decent value packages but I’ve no experience of their broadband service. Been happy enough with O2 for mobile.
    I’d consider a sky package with TV, if it is really good value. I have just canned a full skyTV HD+ with sport and movies package to save money though so it would have to be an excellent deal.

I am an existing O2 mobile customer which does give me access to some decent deals with them.

What you got?

Cheers,

Stu.

bruneep

O2 seem to go down well on here, Im with zen and I can’t fault them or the service I get from them.

scuzz
    Free Member

Best provider I’ve used is BE, fully unlimited, brilliant customer service, not the cheapest in the world. They have a call package and line rental (I believe).

Recently moved to Sky, they’ve over charged me, there’s an unexplained phone call on my bill (we don’t have a phone), they’ve changed to date of my direct debit without telling me. Should be really cheap, but leaving me frustrated.

Wish I was still with BE.

brassneck

Been very happy with PlusNet for around 15 years now, dial up to broadband .. they have my phone service now too.

I don’t have Sky/Virgin though, they are probably cheaper, but I doubt they are better.

dan1980
    Free Member

Another vote for plusnet here.

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m with IDnet who are pretty good. Not the cheapest but never had an issue.

Cougar

O2’s LLU offering is Be Internet rebadged; that’s almost certainly your best option from what you’ve said here.

You’ve used the availability checker at http://www.samknows.com yes?

Stuey01
    Free Member

Cougar:

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
    BT Wholesale ADSL Max
    BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
    BT Wholesale SDSL
    BT FTTC
    AOL LLU
    O2 / Be LLU
    Bulldog LLU
    TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
    Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
    Tiscali LLU
    Tiscali TV (via Tiscali LLU)

Cheers for that link.

seven
    Free Member

If you can get cable i’d go for that 30 – 50mb and reliable service (so I’m told)

anjs
    Free Member

Primus for the phone line. They are BT wholesale reseller but charge something like £6 a month

http://www.primussaver.co.uk/line-rental.html

and then zen for the broadband

Stuey01
    Free Member

I’ve signed up to O2 – free broadband for 6 months as I am an existing mobile customer.
    Phone is £7.50 a month.

So I’m paying £7.50 for 6 months, then £20 thereafter, 12 month contract. That is for phone and broadband, unlimited downloads.
    Got money off a mobile internet dongle too, so I have something to bridge the 1 week gap til they can get in to install it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

xiphon
    Free Member

With Virgin over here. Only downside is P2P is throttled between 12pm to 12am IIRC.

No problems at all.

onewaydown
    Free Member

As you have an O2 mobile phone it’s worth looking at O2 broadband as it’s hard to beat price wise.

You can also get up to £120 cashback via Quidco.

bigG
    Free Member

+1 for O2

Stuey01
    Free Member

You can also get up to £120 cashback via Quidco.

Gah! I’ve just signed up for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Broadband provider recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.