Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • British workers are lazy
  • kimbers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8533172.stm

tonight at 9pm should be interesting

Blower
    Free Member

hmm could be yes..

al_f
    Free Member

Dunno if I can be bothered to watch.

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

i might give it a look if you'll pass me the remote

mcobie
    Free Member

Heard about this on Jeremy Vine this afternoon.

One of the employers that opened up a place to a english "native" read out a text received from the "employee" on the morning he was supposed to start. It went along the lines of "I've been out all night on the p*ss and now can't be ar*ed to come and work for you" 😯

Another employer was saying two guys who went to work for them refused to address their foreign colleagues by their real names, instead giving them english names 😕 That said, aparently they were brought to task and soon got into it and worked well.

The one guy they actually interviewed on the show sounded like an in-bred hill billy and was back on the doll 🙄

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

could be but then i have direct experience of the fact

SOME british workers are lazy

In the hotel industry the lower paid roles (even FOH ones) were once filled by the contents of the local council estate. Most major hotels were hotbeds of theft, lazyness, poor standards of work and unhelpful surly staff.

Then the eastern Europeans came

Same wages

Same contract of work

Same managers

Suddenly working in hotels became a joy*, people were helpful, thefts dropped massively, nothing was too much trouble and you nearly always got a smile.

Recently I'm of the opinion that those migrant workers who are still around have realised that bringing a good work ethic to this country when the natives have been getting away without it for years is pointless and have become 'Anglicised' in their attitude.

Sad but true

only representative of what i have personally experienced in a particular industry though

Maybe if you are willing to get of your arse and migrate to another country to work then you are already the kind of person likely to do a good job?

*this is a lie, i still hate it 🙂

Kuco

Hasn't this been done before on CH4 last year? Biggest laziest people are TV company's if thats the best they can do give it some foreigners' might get something decent to watch.

kimbers

Ive worked some pretty grim factory/ warehouse jobs for an agency in my breaks from uni and been shocked by some of my useless, lazy, moronic colleagues ability to get sacked/slack off/get high/steal stuff/break stuff
    and in my experience these guys were all white brits and in stark contrast to the hardworking non-white and/ or immigrant coworkers

westkipper
    Free Member

I'm going to challenge the old stereotype here, but in my (Royal Mail) workplace we have a fair number of Polish workers (I should say that I'm happy to have as my colleagues)
    Pretty much as a rule they're more bolshie, obstinate, harder for managers to bully and less hard working than the native posties.
    If that sounds like an insult, its not,I kind of wish the rest of us had a little of what they've got. 😈

zaskar
    Free Member

Some ppl are lazy some are not/

Britain lazy? are we f&*&!?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dont we have one of the longest working weeks in the EU?

I personally won't be watching it as I'll still be in work.

However there are plenty who'll sit back and accept that working just isn't worth their while.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Nothing to do with the high cost economy we have made for ourselves where you cant even put a roof over your head on minimum wage then? Nothing at all to do with the fact that the jobs pay less than the housing benefit they'd get by not working? I mean, you'd have to be stupid to want to work a minimum wage job wouldn't you?

You think the eastern europeans could actually settle in the UK for the wages paid in these minimum wage jobs the programme will focus on? Of course not, they come here for a couple of years and slum it living 10 to a house and hot-bedding then they can go home to their own country's low cost economy and live like kings on the money they've saved. Not surprising they're more prepared to work on those terms is it?

Also it's not really fair to compare a self selecting group of motivated foreigners (who after all have taken it upon themselves to travel across europe to come here and rough it) with local layabouts now is it.

People need to open their eyes and realise the full story.

fontmoss
    Free Member

People need to open their eyes and realise the full story.

new to stw are we?

tron
    Free Member

Ding!

You need something north of £300 a week to make it worth going to work if you're recieving a decent selection of benefits.

El-bent
    Free Member

I picked this from the BBC site:

But are jobless Brits prepared to do the sort of work that in recent years has become dominated by Eastern European migrants?

No they are not prepared to do the sort of work that migrants do for the money offered. Employers love the migrants because they drive the wages costs down.

Colin-T

Surely the issue is distorted, I bet there are plenty of lazy eastern Europeans, its just that they haven't been bothered to get up and look for work in a foreign country and don't forget many of the non-lazy Brits are already working.

Still its not important to consider these things when TV makes hay out of cultural and racial stereotypes.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

No they are not prepared to do the sort of work that migrants do for the money offered. Employers love the migrants because they drive the wages costs down

there's some evidence (from unionised construction work in scandinavia) to suggest that the wage disparity argument is not entirely true. i'm sure this doesn't apply in all industries though.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

new to stw are we?

No, I've been around since long before the forum got nuked, why?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Heard about this on Jeremy Vine this afternoon.

Two points:

1. Hearing about it on the Jeremy Vine show is a massive clue that it's going to be pathetic lowest common denominator entertainment.

2. Jeremy Vine is a ****.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Two points:

1. Hearing about it on the Jeremy Vine show is a massive clue that it's going to be pathetic lowest common denominator entertainment.

it was also extensively covered on the Today show on radio 4 😉

bullheart
    Free Member

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

+1 for RichPenny!

RichPenny
    Free Member

My opinion is proved correct 🙂

abductee
    Free Member

Same wages

Same contract of work

Same managers

migrant workers who are still around have realised that bringing a good work ethic to this country when the natives have been subjugated for years is pointless

What's the common factor here?

Anyway, all generalisations are stupid including this one.

Bike forum – moderator!

juan
    Free Member

Humm I am wondering if someone from the Uk will take the job I am looking after 😉

juan
    Free Member

More to the point YES brits (and French too lets face it) have gone lazy. No brits/french is going to work on minimum wage on the primary or secondary econmic sector. That is why we get immigrant to come here. No brits/french is prepared to brake a sweat for is living. I think this kind of TV programm are a disgrace to the BBC. A friend of mine is watchign it. She leaves in reading and is eastern european, and she says that makes her very sad and make her want to live the UK. They are jobs everywhere. Question is are you willing to take them.

ton

tall skinny one packing the spuds…………..what a lazy moaning t wat.
    he would be out on his ear asap………… 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

abductee – if you are going to quote me then kindly make it obvious that you have changed the text before crying out for the moderators to protect your sensibilities

abductee
    Free Member

Sorry, how do I mis-quote properly?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

maybe put the changed text in bold or use strike through or something

Anyway, all generalisations forum pedantry are stupid including this one.

🙂

abductee
    Free Member

Ah well you get the idea.

Shame you can't get the right sort of peasants nowadays

fontmoss
    Free Member

No, I've been around since long before the forum got nuked, why?

just the thought that people should think about things logically and then applying this idea to stw.

ourmaninthenorth

it was also extensively covered on the Today show on radio 4

Evan Davies = annoying presenter of slackly producing TV prog.
    Evan Davies = annoying presenter* on Today Programme

More BBC self advertising..!

*Not nearly as annoying as Humpreys. The c—.

Pieface

I've spent a short amount of time working as a labourer when I was a student. The majority of people were pretty slack and seemed to go from job to job not giving a crap for the long-term, which i think alot of it boils down to. Low expectations / low self-esteem? Most of them were young so probably thought they were invincible.

Can't help but think that the 'safety net' of the welfare state has gone wrong and is open to abuse. Unfortunately there are many people happy to 'just get by' on minimum effort and money.

On the other hand there are those who genuinely want to better themselves but due to lack of job opportunities and the constraints of the wlefare state find it hard to get their foot on the first rung of the ladder.

There is a lot of Government money going into up-skilling the workforce, but unfortunately few of the agencies involved talk to each other / there's too many / the end user doesn't know whats available / the agencies are in competition with one another.

Johnbot
    Free Member

I've spent a short amount of time working as a labourer when I was a student. The majority of people were pretty slack and seemed to go from job to job not giving a crap for the long-term, which I think a lot of it boils down to. Low expectations / low self-esteem? Most of them were young so probably thought they were invincible.

I am a building site manager and I have to agree with this.

The show was not bad, a pretty embarrassing representation of us as a nation over all.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘British workers are lazy’ is closed to new replies.