Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bristol trail closures update
  • MrAgreeable

Finally we have a definite date for logging work in 50 Acre Wood starting. It's going to be commencing on Friday 18th September, as in tomorrow! The work will last for approximately two months and during this time the pink and the yellow trails will be closed, although the yellow trail (the "family route" at the bottom of the wood) will re-open once work at the bottom of the wood has finished.

From speaking to the ranger, it seems like there are no firm restrictions on when or where work will be taking place. In other words, don't assume that because it's the evening, the weekend, or at the opposite end of the wood to where most of the logging is going on, you'll automatically be safe! There will be some serious machinery working in the woods, such as harvesters and forwarders, so be sensible and give it a miss.

The good news is that trail building can continue during the closures (starting with this Saturday's dig day), and we will also be getting some more stone delivered to help with this. For updates on this, head to http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com. If you want to receive updates by email, sign up to the forum.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Posted on the cheesy riders…

MrAgreeable

Cheers Gary.

I can imagine what people must be thinking, and it's very short notice I know. I did get a heads up from the ranger earlier this week, but wasn't sure what the closure arrangements would be until I saw the signs last night. I suggested keeping the pink trail mostly open while the contractors worked at the bottom of the wood but they are taking any timber they harvest out from the top layby on Weir Lane (the one that's recently been resurfaced) so the part closure idea wasn't practical. 🙁

MrAgreeable

Bump for the evening crowd. Spread the word, I don't want any of you lot to have a close encounter with one of these. 🙂

Clink

Presume it won't affect the off-road duathlon?

Philby

Hope the machinery won't make too much mess of the trails, as they did a few years ago in Leigh Woods.

redthunder
    Free Member

Ohh.. ohh.. a forestry plant thread 😉

MrAgreeable

Philby, if they have to drive across the trails to extract the logs then there will inevitably be some damage, I would think, but they've been told to avoid damaging the trails if at all possible, and take measures like laying brash over the surface.

Clink, apparently the off-road duathlon is using the Ashton Court trails only, if not then they'll need to have a re-think…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bristol trail closures update’ is closed to new replies.