• This topic has 210 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DJ.
Viewing 11 posts - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)
  • Bristol plans development of the Timberland Trail etc
  • MrAgreeable

If the new trails aren’t your cup of tea, there is nothing stopping us from building more technical trails elsewhere. We’ve got free rein with 50 Acre Wood, and we’re also discussing another site with the powers that be.

The problem is that we’re not going to get much done if people’s attitude is to moan on the internet and wait for someone else to do it for them. Other branches of our sport like DH and dirt jumping have a very strong culture of “if you want to ride it, build it” but for some reason only a minority of XC riders make the connection.

On a lighter note, the Quarry Trails are already open again and should be bedded in nicely after all this rain.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I think i need have a little test run on the new quarry bit tomorrow. Other reports say a mixture of opinions but ashton court is going the right way of being open to everyone and that 50 acre/leigh woods could be a bit more developed for cyclists who want something more technical. I like your thought Mr Agreeable about 50 acre and the possibilities of another site for a trail or something and I would like to help out with that if it came to light

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Shame about that short downhill section, certainly was at least “remotely technical” if taken at speed. Not sure there was a need to smooth out that piece of trail, although I guess it is now more in keeping with the character of the other changes.

MrAgreeable

It’s easy to forget how stuff looks to learner riders. We were out recently in Ashton Court with a guy from the forum, and his girlfriend (who hasn’t done that much riding) refused point blank to do that section. I would also be surprised if whatever replaces it is totally un-fun.

woody74

Mr Agreeable, new area for development sounds exciting, where might that be? Always wondered why over the years no trails have been built to the south side of the lower quarry trail. Lovely bit of tapered hill side with loads of natural bomb holes, drop offs etc. A meandering cross hill trail, Afan esk, would be cool.

New trails actually look like they will be quite technical at high speed once they have bedded in and gone a bit back to nature. Give it a year and I think they will be sweet, right at our door and no need for the bridge toll for some cool riding!

MrAgreeable

Woody, we were taking to them last year about “formalising” the trails in Ashton Hill Plantation (also known as Failand) and building some new sections to make a continuous singletrack loop. Unfortunately due to staff cutbacks and the Forestry Commission sell-off proposals they didn’t feel that they could to commit to it. Things are looking up again given that the FC are no longer going to be privatised out of existence and we’ll be talking to them in the near future.

Always wondered why over the years no trails have been built to the south side of the lower quarry trail.

It’s one of the more environmentally sensitive bits of the estate – badget setts, 500 year old oak trees, etc – so building a trail through there is out unfortunately. They did try and put something in when designing the new trails but it wasn’t a goer.

clubber
    Free Member

Thought I’d give it a go this morning and I can report that the new trails are great on a CX bike 🙂 Even managed some half decent pumping…

DJ
    Free Member

So, forgetting all the bickering, What has been completed so far and what do people make of the new parts?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Well it appears clubber can’t stop and won’t stop PUMPING!!!!!!!

clubber
    Free Member

What has been completed so far

Upper and lower quarry, the bombhole and deer fence section, New Barn Wood.

Summary of new parts: very different, very BMXy, very smooth (though the rooty DH which isn’t open yet is now the rocky DH), very mud resistant, good fun.

Once you pump you can’t stop!

DJ
    Free Member

Just found this:

http://www.betterbybike.info/off-road-mountain-biking-route-announced-at-ashton-court

I hadn’t realised the track along Beggar Bush Lane and down towards the gatehouse had been reversed! I always thought it was going to ride the same way round?!

Viewing 11 posts - 201 through 211 (of 211 total)

The topic ‘Bristol plans development of the Timberland Trail etc’ is closed to new replies.