Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 441 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog Chat 2014
  • darkcyan
    Free Member

Woodsman. No Thursday. I know mat who rides Tuesday.

I’m sure we have met.

cheers DC.

Tuesday a bit speedy for me.

darkcyan
    Free Member

For some reason I am thinking I need a Salsa Spearfish!

wwaswas

Everyone needs a new bike – buy it!

Stanmer’s riding really well at the moment and the bluebells are out too 🙂

rather crap pic taken on my phone as the light was failing last night;

darkcyan
    Free Member

Well Easter is gone without too much chocolate carnage.

Good ride on Sunday around Stanmer with a sharp shower transitioning the trails from excellent to scary.

I guess this is the time when I must kick my arse into gear and imagine being on the start line having not done the necessary work – not an option.

DC

N.b. do I need a Salsa Swordfish or not?

darkcyan
    Free Member

Chain reaction have let me down as my front brake pads have not arrived despite ordering them three days ago!

Metal on metal it is then.

njee20
    Free Member

Never really seen a thread treated like a personal Twitter feed on here!

woodsman
    Free Member

It could be worse for you njee20, they could be discussing Shand cycles as well! 😀

Paceman
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Never really seen a thread treated like a personal Twitter feed on here!

Darkcyan is old skool, he straddles the boundaries of social media the rest of us can only imagine 😀

A Spearfish would be a perfect BigDog weapon.

darkcyan
    Free Member

what’s the Shand story then?

nb thought my musings were of interest;-)

Paceman
    Free Member

DC, I think Shand Cycles are a UK based kickstarter frame company.

darkcyan
    Free Member

I thought they were a top end frame maker – wasn’t there a review in STW a few months ago.

Paceman
    Free Member

You may well be right DC 😀

Do we not get your daily musing on mountain biking?

mccraque

Just entered the Big Dog and am coincidentally riding out of Brighton tonight. Potentially through Stanmer. What time do you boys meet? I suspect I’ll be a little too early…

Paceman
    Free Member

BrightonMTB rides are Tuesday (faster pace) and Thursday (regular pace) evenings 7-9pm, meet at Sussex University Sports Centre car park. Check their website.

mccann.ben
    Free Member

Anyone know what the elevation gain in meters is per 10 mile lap? Roughly…

Paceman
    Free Member

mccann.ben – Member
    Anyone know what the elevation gain in meters is per 10 mile lap? Roughly…

I’d be surprised if it’s any more than 100m per lap but most are short steep climbs that drain your energy. One of the locals with a Garmin or similar might be able to tell you.

theotherjonv

Last years first climb out of the arena field certainly did that…..

chiefgrooveguru

It’s just under 300m/1000ft climbing per lap.

mccann.ben
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

darkcyan
    Free Member

any course gossip. hoping the first climb gets ditched, too steep imo.

darkcyan
    Free Member

trails at their best today. some good strava harvesting going on.

darkcyan
    Free Member

should I ride my ss at big dog?

myti
    Free Member

Gears for me…if the course is the same as last year i’m kinda hoping for slippy conditions as it will advantage the local singletrack riders over the no skills, mega fit types…

Paceman
    Free Member

darkcyan – Member

should I ride my ss at big dog?

You’re definitely quicker on it Darkcyan, depends if you can manage six hours pushing that gear ratio.

myti – Member

Gears for me…if the course is the same as last year i’m kinda hoping for slippy conditions as it will advantage the local singletrack riders over the no skills, mega fit types…

I’m hoping for the old course back as it was much more fun to ride; or certainly a change from last year which didn’t make the most of Stanmer’s better singletrack trails.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Got a feeling the course will change again. Agree with Paceman-for once;-)

darkcyan
    Free Member

Interview with Ian Leitch in the july / aug Viva Brighton.

You can view on-line at http://www.vivabrighton.com from July 10th onwards.

You heard it hear first.

Paceman
    Free Member

You heard it hear here first 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

heard it hear first – did you see what i was doing?

Paceman
    Free Member

Yes, very clever Darkcyan 😉

darkcyan
    Free Member

could be a bit of old dog as regards the big dog course – to be welcomed i think.

Paceman
    Free Member

Two team pairs entered now for the Fat Bike Category, now that’s where the real men are!! 😀

http://www.xcracer.com/raceentry/currententries.php?race_id=428

wwaswas

Given that Puffins finally seem to be on their way out of Sam’s door I shall be doing at least one lap on a Fat Bike in the Solo Vets (40+) category.

I think I’ll wait until I’ve ridden the thing before committing to more than that 🙂

Paceman
    Free Member

I hope the Singular Puffin has been worth the wait, they look fantastic I think and it should be fun round Stanmer woods. I’m very tempted by a Rooster if Sam makes one in a colour other than yellow.

wwaswas

If nothing else, I can fit 2.1″ mud tyres on some standard rims to it and not worry about the frame getting gummed up with Stanmer mud 🙂

skellnonch
    Free Member

Any suggestions for van camping? somewhere near the party venue would be good

wwaswas

Been thinking about this.

Anyone with a Fat Bike want to join me in a pair?

I’ve not got the legs to do Fat Bike solo but think it’ll be interesting to ride for half the time.

I did 5 (or was it 6) laps solo last year so I’m not a racer. Having said that there’s only 2 fat bike pairs entered currently so there’s a possible 3rd place podium up for grabs – if you’re expecting to win I’m not the team mate for you.

email in profile (and I’m hoping I can convert a solo entry to a fat bike pairs one if I talk nicely to Simon).

skellnoch – I’m pretty sure that one of the Upper Lodge Cottages at Stanmer is a small certificated site or something for the caravan club or camping and caravan club but google isn’t helping. There;s certainly a regular change of campers in the garden there with motorhomes etc. If you can’t find it this site http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/caravanclubapps/applications/uk-caravan-sites-and-parks/SiteDetails.aspx?csid=21975 is about 15 minutes away.

Paceman
    Free Member

Wwasas, I’m considering building up a 29+ bike but not sure if I’ll get it together before BigDog; if I do I’ll give you a shout as 3″ tyres fall into the Fat Bike Category … Semi-Fat ??!!? 😆 Will let you know.

I think our paths cross anyway from time to time on BrightonMTB Thursday night rides.

Paceman

wwaswas

I’m sure we’ve met – it’s just putting real names, faces and bikes to stw logins that is tricky sometimes 🙂

I’ll let you know if anything happens in the meantime.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Paceman: Fat bike or fat biker category – I could probably enter both;-)

Paceman
    Free Member

No comment Darkcyan 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 441 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog Chat 2014’ is closed to new replies.