Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 441 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog Chat 2014
  • wwaswas

Pictures here (lots but not tagged)

http://www.moranphotography.co.uk/2014brightonbigdog

spooked
    Free Member

TimP was it you that was taking it easy one leg astride the bike scootering along that I asked if you were ok about halfway through a lap ish?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Yeah, good manoeuvre there SIngletrackmind!!

You kept a punishing pace on the last lap too, you were just in sight, but I couldn’t catch you back up despite my best efforts. I was watching the clock as it was touch and go to get back in time, that’s the closest I’ve ever come to vomiting in a race, made it though 🙂

cyclistm
    Free Member

Massive thanks to all the organisers, marshalls, and everyone else involved in the Big Dog. Another great edition, its the only event I do all year.

I thought the course was spot on, all the riders without exception were friendly and all seemed to be having a great time, even those fixing punctures or stretching.

Cheers ladies and gents.

ernie

Heck do i love my annual pilgrimage to Brighton! Myself and my team mate have made the journey for the past three years and continue to love the event. Course was great, atmosphere was great, fellow riders were great, beer is great, prizes are great. Love it.

myti
    Free Member

[quoteDT78 – Member 
    Question…going to probably fail to describe this well enough for anybody to respond, but about half way round on one of the long fireroad drags, (not a steep, I was using to take on a gel most laps) it turned sharpish right into a tight twisty section. I swear, that on a least a couple of laps I saw riders joining the fireroad just before the turn rather than riding along the fireroad like I was. It confused me as I thought at least one of us must have taken a wrong turn? One time it was a pretty rapid chap in orange army jersey who cut me up nicely joining the fireroad and diving in front and then into the wooded section…

Anyways, could be completely mistaken as I was pretty knackered![/quote]

I know exactly where you mean…there was an entrance into some single track just before the actual race turning which had a yellow arrow marker and I accidentally turned down it on one lap but it came to a dead end pretty quickly with tape across so a quick about turn and only 20 secs lost!

wwaswas

Me too – I followed someone else down it before realising it was the wrong one.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I went down there once too! I noticed the line into it was getting more and more worn, so many others must have done the same.

TimP
    Free Member

I try to make it look like I am coasting but actually I was flat out all day!

Pink sleeves was me

spooked
    Free Member

It wasnt you then Tim 🙂 hope the forks are ok.

Some more pics here: http://www.rideagain.co.uk/brighton-big-dog-2014/nggallery/page/12/image/16-08-14-16-28-36/

Does anyone know any of the other photographers? From a purely vain point if view 🙂

simondbarnes

Fabulous event, a credit to all that made it happen 🙂

muggomagic

Been suffering with post big dog blues made worse by the fact that I’m back to work this morning after 2 weeks off.

TimP
    Free Member

At least there is a photo showing how steep the hills were on my last lap…

steep

Think I struggled a bit more than this bloke though!!

Oh and STM you did push me to my fastest lap (trying to get away from the chirping in my ear!!), but I would have had to go faster still to get another in so I am very glad I ignored you

skellnonch
    Free Member

Superb weekend, my first dog, loved the course me & the mrs raced in the mixed pairs she had a great time too… my only (small) criticism… and it happens at all these type of events, is if you are racing in a team surely all team members should be racing similar amounts of laps within reason?

Obviously there may be times when, especially towards the end of a race people get broken & cant go out, but sending your male team rider out to blitz 2 laps to every female riders 1 doesn’t seem like its in the spirit of the thing…

njee20
    Free Member

Why not? Men are generally faster, if you want to win that’s how you do it. It’s all part of tactics. No different to having slower male team members you don’t send out as much. If they’re happy doing fewer laps then so be it.

skellnonch
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Why not? Men are generally faster, if you want to win that’s how you do it. It’s all part of tactics. No different to having slower male team members you don’t send out as much. If they’re happy doing fewer laps then so be it.

Nice, better still how about a bit of EPO if you REALLY want to win that bad? 😀

wwaswas

Paceman and myself (me? I?) prove it is possible for men in baggy shorts to climb at least one step after riding 35lb bikes with silly tyres round for an afternoon;

mattjg
    Free Member

glad you had a good time all, the Cocks were pleased with the reception

but sending your male team rider out to blitz 2 laps to every female riders 1 doesn’t seem like its in the spirit of the thing…

don’t do it then, it’s your race, ride it how you want

richP

Some pics on Kevin Sheldrake’s Flickr here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinsheldrake/sets/72157646145812110/

njee20
    Free Member

Nice, better still how about a bit of EPO if you REALLY want to win that bad?

Seriously? How is sending your faster rider out more regularly akin to EPO? I did Mayhem last year in a competitive team, I was the slowest, I did 6 laps, our fastest guy did 10 or 12, I forget. We’d have been less competitive if I’d done more. Very very basic racing tactics.

Should we also say that you have to use the tyres that you’ve been using for at least 6 months prior, lest you gain an unfair advantage by fitting something faster. 🙄

skellnonch
    Free Member

Seriously? How is sending your faster rider out more regularly akin to EPO?

“Joke” did you not get it?

Before it turns in to a witch hunt, it was a small criticism… it didn’t stop my enjoyment of the event

john_l
    Free Member

Luke – didn’t realise that was you. I was stood next to you for ages at the end yabbering away to an old mate – sorry! (Darkstar jersey/Jones)

wwaswas

I suddenly realised too when I saw your picture on Twitter, John – “hang on he was stood next to me for half an hour!”

That’s the trouble with chatting online for years and very rarely meeting – you forget what people actually look like…

sarpullido
    Free Member

Finally raced it (I was in a waiting list)and had a blast!
    I didn’t enjoy much the first laps as overtaking was a nightmare but from third lap it was all much better, riders were spread.
    Great atmosphere in a very well organized event. Talked to some riders, one of them finished just before me, the other was riding a fantastic Jones with a truss fork. We were nearly 2 laps together.
    I again had some problems in the knee,it’s ITB syndrome, at about 3 laps to the end and I had to ease pace on the flat (uphill and downhill was fine)and sort of coped with it and could finish last lap quite fast.
    First race and second ride on a new bike, going much faster than before on twisty terrain. Love it!

john_l
    Free Member

Sarpullido – that was me on the Jones. Your new 650b Lynskey was pretty nice too!

singletrackmind

There you go you see TimP , abit of gentle persuasion and encouragement et voilá.- your fastest lap of the day .
    If I ride behind you every lap next year who knows I might even get a black eye and some new teeth.

JRTG
    Free Member

We have put up a post to the pictures we took (not many as we all raced and Matt Carr was on the mic the whole day) but also to as many professional photo galleries we could find. If you know of more let me know and I’ll update it. Click to Open

The results are there too

Im going to ride stanmer tomorrow and if there is interest, would take people round the course again. Good for those who couldn’t do it or want to ride it when it’s quiet! Will get to stanmer for around 8pm so would need lights. let me know via twitter otb_overthebar or FaceBook

muggomagic

JRTG I might be able to join you tomorrow.
    What time you heading over?

JRTG
    Free Member

Muggomaguc, not sure, depends on work, I may drive or go straight there so best not rely on me other than being there for 8!

muggomagic

Ok. If I can make it I’ll be in the bottom car park near the start by 8.

gee
    Free Member
    darkcyan
    Free Member

Gee – great report – I remember Ian passing (lapping) me at the bottom of the long climb and he was sprinting up it – totally amazing. You guys are just so fast!

DC

Paceman
    Free Member

Great write up Gee, would loved to have witnessed you ripping up Cannock Chase on the Salsa Beargrease 😈

By the way… a 23lbs Fatbike… not jealous at all :mrgreen:

sarpullido
    Free Member

Wow, 23lbs is no longer fat! Gee, I remember you overtook me just before the last downhill to finish line on last lap. I was on your tail and did my fastest descent and you said you were cruising, ouch!!

john_l, thanks! We forgot to swap bikes at mid race hehe

gee
    Free Member

Haha well I didn’t want to end up in the trees once I’d bagged 2nd…

GB

wwaswas

JRTG – will try and be there tonight.

muggomagic – are you riding over?

wwaswas

My mistake, thought you’d be there tonight but got my days wrong.

Solo pootle on my SS it is then…

muggomagic

I would’ve joined you tonight, but I’d already started replacing the bearings on the meta. Hopefully catch up with you all Sunday.

darkcyan
    Free Member
    darkcyan
    Free Member

Brighton MTB write up – good local effort from the premier local riding group 😉

http://brightonmtb.org/2014/08/22/7014/#more-7014

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 441 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog Chat 2014’ is closed to new replies.