• This topic has 68 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog. Advice for first timers
  • muddylegs
    Free Member

Well me and a mate have done all the training we can do so we will see how we get on. We don’t expect to be any where near the top results but hope not to be too near the bottom of the results board. We both ride MTB regularly all year round on single track and bridleways. We are two guys in their late (very late!) 40’s entered in the male pairs 18 plus

So, I’m looking for some advice from folk who have done it in the past on what to expect on the day, as in race wise (been looking at you tube at previous races) and any other experiences and tips for the day you can think of that might help things go smoothly.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

muggomagic

Hopefully it’ll be dry. It’s a lot tougher if it’s wet. There are a couple of steep chalky rooty climbs that will be hard enough walking up if it’s wet nevermind riding.
    It’s a great event.

EDIT: Bring your own water. I can’t think of any taps near by so best to bring it with you.

petey83
    Free Member

It is a very friendly event and the only xc event I am doing this year as I would hate to miss it. The first lap can be a bit of a procession but after that it is fine. There is usually lots of support from the marshals which helps a lot in the last hour!

Don’t make the mistake of sitting behind someone and letting them set the pace; they could be a slow soloist (like me!). Decide on a comfortable pace and stick with it. There are lots of places to overtake safely. Watch your timing on the last lap – it is great fun watching people race for the line to get within the 6 hours but I would hate to be one of the sorry few who miss it!

Don’t forget to bring cash for the souvenir big dog mug!

TimP
    Free Member

To be honest, it sounds like you may have peaked a bit early. I started training on Monday with a view to tapering down from tonight…

puddings
    Free Member

Come prepared to join in with the spirit of the event. It has got a lot more serious in the last couple of years as more and more XC racers have turned up but key parts of it have always been the afternoon tea tent, the post race party, the special edition tea pots and mugs (oh and if the pizza man is there this year – damn fine pizza).

The chicken runs are for the XC racers – celebrate ineptitude by getting the log rolls and drop-ins horribly wrong, it means you are having fun (they usually have a someone taking pictures).

If it is damp, the big downhill right hander into the finish-line should be taken rear wheel locked big skid style into the changeover area – the DJ will celebrate your ‘skillz’!

As muggomagic says bring plenty of water – unfortunately the original source was destroyed when the sports pavilion got torched

Take your rubbish home with you – goes without saying really and if it does need explaining we don’t really want you in our woods

gee
    Free Member

It’s very hilly; 1000ft per 6 mile lap.

The descents are very narrow in places and make passing quite hard – try to time it when it widens out or you’ll end up stuck behind someone for 2-3 minutes and lose lots of time.

Take water with you (no taps).

Remember it’s a short 6hr race – your lap needs to finish within the 6hrs to count.

Take care and look for walkers/obstacles placed on the trail/arrows turned round. There is a shithole estate just over the road.

muggomagic

There is a shithole estate just over the road.

That is harsh on Ditchling.

theotherjonv

Whatever bars you have on, fit narrower ones 😉 Some of the trees jump out on you.

Get a mug, and then you get free refills all day.

Be in the arena to watch the last few frantically trying to get in in time. Don’t be one of the people trying to frantically get in in time, if that happens to you make sure it’s your mate that’s out, otherwise the delicious indian food stall will have run out by the time you get to her.

Have fun. Best event on the calendar.

philjunior
    Free Member

It’s short enough that you can pretty much go flat out every lap as part of a pair.

I’m doing it for the 4th time this year with my brother, I’m a bit worried he might be faster than me this year. Fingers crossed with faster tyres I’ll do OK and my 780mm bars will fit through the trees!

Yak

Missed out on entry – left it too late. Pah. Going to flag it up to enter early next year.

Have fun folks.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Thanks for ALL the advice so. Keep it coming….

TimP
    Free Member

Be nice to us doing the tea 😀
    Be nice to people when trying to overtake, as above when it gets narrow people will be holding on for dear life and don’t really need faster riders shouting to get out of the way. As a slower rider I can hear you, but I cant always get out of the way.

puddings
    Free Member

“There is a shithole estate just over the road.”

I was keeping the joy of the kids jumping out demanding your bike as a surprise for the OP!

philjunior
    Free Member

Be nice to people when trying to overtake, as above when it gets narrow people will be holding on for dear life and don’t really need faster riders shouting to get out of the way. As a slower rider I can hear you, but I cant always get out of the way.

Slower riders are pretty good at getting out of the way – and I always try to be too!
    But knowing there’s not much space to pass is a good incentive to get to the next bit of singletrack in front of anyone you suspect may dawdle!

thewilllinton
    Free Member

Damn. I’ve done this the past two years and loved it! Just went to enter again for the solo 6hr and its sold out! If anyone has a change of mind fire me an email and I’d be happy to take the place.

Yak

Yeah – that’s what I found a few days ago – looking for solo vet male. Not holding much hope as there’s a waiting list for no-shows on the day and I need to plan kids stuff so won’t be counting on that and turning up in hope. Next year!

nicks
    Free Member

pray for dry weather.

Im doing pairs too…. i would recommend having all your kit/food/bottles organised as you won’t get much of break in-between laps… i think lap times will be around the 35min mark !

Most importantly… ENJOY it … its great event

TimP
    Free Member

looking for solo vet male

It is Pride this weekend, pop down and see what you can pick up in Preston Park once it gets dark

gee
    Free Member

I wasn’t joking about the obstacles being placed on the trail.

We have had big logs and rocks placed on the exits to blind corners mid-race.

And don’t leave your bike unattended.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Narrow bars and don’t hit the tree of doom

mccraque

Am really looking forward to it! Racing same cat as OP this year having done the team event for the last 3. Praying for dry weather.

Anyone know if the course is similar to the last couple of years? or Crossing the A27 again this year?

Was slightly gutted last year. Was my turn for a lap just as the DJ started spinning “Blue Monday” but was back in time to hear “Owner of a Lonely Heart”.

Most of the tips have been covered I think. Ensure you bunny hop the big log for the photographer though. One of the marshals usually has a radio and keeps you updated with sports scores from around the country.

mccraque

Has anyone got a link to this years course? I’ve heard it’s available… There’s also talk of a massive wasps nest near Varley Halls – people getting stung to shite while doing recces!

adsh
    Free Member

Is it that narrow? Increased bars from 660 to 710 since last year.

sirromj

Did it on 760 couple of years ago. No problem. Will do it again this year. Solo male vet. Not sure why. Oh the challenge that was it.

nicks
    Free Member

Weather is looking good… hot hot hot …. Few guys who have ridden before have all recommend taking your own water supply.

VanHalen

the most fun year i did it it was horrifically wet so pray for rain.

its ok in teh dry but the xc boys make you feel inferior whereas in the wet its a great leveller and you get to feel like sam hill as all teh xc boys struggle on teh exceedingly slippery downs and everyone is in all sorts of comedy problems on the ups. well, except the really good guys who appear to defy gravity.

expect someone to stop inappropriately on a steep downhill section to which you are committed causing interesing line choice requirements.

the first lap is a scrum on the first few hills – get those elbows and 4x overtaking maneuvers dialled. and the apologies/excuses for when it goes wrong.

go fast on teh down bits – there is nothing worse than getting stuck behind someone mincing on a good bit.

you dont need a dropper – save weight for more cake/beer/tea.

drink tea/beer and eat cake.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. We went for a hack around Stanmer for a few hours on Saturday and it was running really well. I’ve been up there many times in the wet and dry over the last couple of years and are really looking forward to this now, although looking at the interweb the start looks interesting with a lot folk jostling for some space…

puddings
    Free Member

anyone planning on getting the train down to Brighton for this saturday, bear in mind that the rail strike, although offically over on friday at midnight, is bound to be blamed for the inevitable delays and cancellations on saturday.

Still running dry and fast in stanmer this afternoon despite the showers on sunday morning

mccraque

Went for a recce on the 9er at the weekend having ridden a plus bike for the last few months. Got me wondering which would be quicker… Real bike dilemma on my hands now! Singletrack weapon or mile muncher!?

muddylegs
    Free Member

I’ll be riding my 26er hard tail rather than my 27.5 full suss in the hopes the lightness of the hard tail might help me in some respect!

26er!!?? I know I know…. 😆

muggomagic

I have been wondering whether to ride the 29er HT or 27+ full sus. after Sunday’s ride around Stanmer it will be the 27+ as it’s a lot easier on the tougher climbs like Badgers.

TimP
    Free Member

And I am going the other way and opting for lightweight HT to save over 7lbs over the 650B+ on the long draggy climbs. I know I will be pushing up Badgers and the Coldean Climb, but I normally do anyway, and it is only marginally slower on the downs

muggomagic

And I am going the other way and opting for lightweight HT to save over 7lbs over the 650B+

I think the Stumpjumper is probably lighter than the Bizango so less of an issue for me. Anyway I’m sure anyone following you along Cathedral will enjoy watching the rear wheel pinging off the roots if it’s a little moist.

VanHalen

anything more than a short travel HT and you are well overbiked wet or dry.

TimP
    Free Member

Think that is probably a bit harsh. Yes you can ride round Stanmer rigid if you want (and I often do), but due to the rootyness it is far more comfortable with a bit of suspension front and back, particularly if you are riding solo for 6hrs

VanHalen

ok maybe an anthem at a push.

i much prefer riding a ht in stanmer when i rarely go there. it ‘makes the trails come alive’ or something. in fact i much prefer my ht to my full suss for riding anywhere locally.

i’ve ridden teh dog on a 6″ freeride bike, a 4″ xc bike and a ht and i was most definitely faster and had more fun on the ht. i’ll admit to not doing a solo yet but thats mainly as i think i`d get bored. 6hrs on the bikes ok its teh repetition and all the other sods in the way, i dont really like riding in big groups. i am solo curious tho so maybe one year…

mccraque

so to my earlier question…. Plus sized HT or 9er HT!?

adsh
    Free Member

There’s a lot of climbing so anything you can do to minimise weight, and increase power transfer is worth it.

In the blur that was last year I don’t remember wanting any additional travel or comfort but I do remember wanting new lungs.

TimP
    Free Member

Depends on how fit/good you are.
    Plus will give you no excuses for not making up the 2 steepest bits
    9er hardtail would be more excusable to dismount, although I am sure it is possible to ride it all on anything (I got passed out by a Xtracycle at one point going up a chalky climb a few years ago)

As noted above I am not going plus as I am part of pair so unlikely to be riding for much more than 3-4hrs so comfort less of an issue, but I still don’t want to carry 7lbs I don’t need to for the sake of a couple of climbs, I am fat enough already.

mccraque

Are we climbing the steep chalky bit from the footy field this year? I can get up that on the 9er… just…in the dry…with my saddle wedged into my arse.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog. Advice for first timers’ is closed to new replies.