• This topic has 68 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by myti.
Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Brighton Big Dog. Advice for first timers
  • muggomagic

Are we climbing the steep chalky bit from the footy field this year?

Thankfully not. The steeper climbs are less steep than that one, but more technical as they are littered with roots. I can get up them on my 29er HT and I’m overweight and underskilled. Chances are that someone will hold you up so you’ll have to walk those bits anyway.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Are we climbing the steep chalky bit from the footy field this year? I can get up that on the 9er… just…in the dry…with my saddle wedged into my arse.

Just out of interest is your number 2 button not working or is 9er the new word for 29er? 🙂

VanHalen

why you would want fatter squishier heavier less stable tyres is beyond me.

29er is probably the ideal bike there is nothing exciting on course to warrent much more.

if its dry all teh roots are grippy so dont count as an excuse for mincing either down or up.

john_l
    Free Member

Is the course the same as last year?

myti
    Free Member

I’m going with my stumpy as it’s probably lighter than my steel hard tail and much quicker on the descents and great for sitting down and grinding up rooty climbs. Getting excited now!

muddylegs
    Free Member

So how does the start work. What or who decides where you are in the line up?

sirromj

Like just about every other race. Those who are known to be fast go to the front, those who think they’re fast go behind them, and those who think they’re slow behind them. The old adage don’t judge a book by it’s cover is especially true in this context.

DT78
    Free Member

My only event of the year, pairs this time not solo. Looking forward to it but no where near as fit as last season, and have a lingering virus.

Start wise I seem to remember you just queue up. go roughly in the field where you think you’ll be competitive. I used to aim for third row.

muggomagic

Did a couple of laps this evening. Great course and I can’t wait for Saturday.

stayhigh

Has the course been put up online anywhere?

muggomagic

There’s a strava segment and a garmin connect course.

mccraque

Started a lap yesterday, ripped the arse out of my tyre, spare tube had a nick in it. Stans everywhere, pump broke, 3 hours later I got to work. Somewhat late.

Hopefully that’s my bad luck over for the week!

john_l
    Free Member

Also rode the course yesterday pm – so new bits & some old bits; some really really haha fast bits; some crutch thrutching steep bits & some whoa, just hold on fun bits 🙂

Just under 6 miles. Think most people will be very happy.

pictonroad

looking forward to it, it’s on my doorstep and I’ve never found the time to enter, love riding in Stanmer.

BUT

Reminder to everyone to bring baby wipes, Stanmer is where all the dog crap goes for a summer holiday.

twist305
    Free Member

i’ll be down again for a cliff one shot lap, that gives me just enough time for some fun before the kids drive the wife over the edge and i can come rescue.

Will be on my overbiked 27.5 full suss, probably slowing everyone down on the ups then trying to make up time on the downhills without killing myself!

Always a good day out, trying to keep up with the xc’s always fun, unless its the national champ who looked like he was riding on perfect tarmac on a Sunday cruise whilst i was blowing out my ass!

muggomagic

mccraque

Is the trail feature on the other side of the A27 the wasps nests? Any idea whether it is still there or been zapped?

JoB
    Free Member

no wasps noticed on several rides of that section over the last few days, and the dog-shit’s mainly in handy little bags hanging away from the trail now

adsh
    Free Member

Last years course in reverse? Ouch!

muggomagic

Last years course in reverse? Ouch!

More like the course of a few years back. Couple of tough climbs, but the descents make up for it with some fast singletrack.

VanHalen

looks liek teh classic ‘dog’ course to me. i`m almost tempted to do a lap now.

i like th bit over teh 27 nice couple of fast turns after the field and proper bo climb back up. its a shame its full of pushers and someone stranded on the ‘techy root’

muggomagic

It is a really good course, even better than the classic course IMO as you ride down A&E and Rail the roots rather than up them and still get the classic final Big Dog descent. Can’t wait to get started now.

timbur
    Free Member

Wow, there’s a lot of branding going on there……

chiefgrooveguru

It was down A&E and Rail The Roots all but one time I’ve done it (so I think that’s four out of five times). Going up them is pure XC weirdness. Right now I’m not sure my back will tolerate a full speed lap and I’m not sure I can dawdle with people to race!

myti
    Free Member

5 of us got stung by wasps on the course yesterday. My ankle has swollen up! they are some nasty arse wasps!

john_l
    Free Member

We had a really good poke around there today & couldn’t find anything. Having another look tonight. Was it in the Coldean side?

DrP

One gear bike all ready… Pants and vest ready…bottles ready…

Just got a text from my lift that he’s out on the beers tonight..hmm…..
    Might have a second option transport situation needed…!

DrP

mccraque

They’re probably all in bed in the evening. But they’ll be out in force during the day. They tend not to vacate their nests in mid August!

I got stung to shite last week and could really do without another load! Maybe I’ll wear a jellyfish suit.

myti
    Free Member

Coldean side just as you go into the nettle patch from the open section going into the woods before the climb to the bridge

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Brighton Big Dog. Advice for first timers’ is closed to new replies.