Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Breo watches for riding ?
  • iainc

these look quite good for a cheapo bike watch :

http://www.breo.com/shop/search.php?ref=sitelink&search=Roam

although they don't get wonderful reviews. any experiences ?

IHN

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

£7.99, thin, light, waterproof. What's not to like?

flatfish
    Free Member

for and extra 2 quid you can have a breo one that doesn't look like your dad's hand me down.

Ticklinjock

Our teenage kids use the neon ones.
    They seem quite robust even though they've destroyed a couple.
    I see Wiggle sell them now.

mangoridebike

My wife has had one for about 8 months, initially it was great but the plastic has started to split around the watch mechanism and I think the face has started to cloud a bit as well. The process for setting the time etc was pretty fiddly as well.

We won't be buying another one.

IHN has pretty much right I reckon.

IHN

for and extra 2 quid you can have a breo one that doesn't look like your dad's hand me down

Ah, I see. I thought we were talking about fitness for purpose.

iainc

am sure the casio is better and tick the boxes – cheap, light, reliable, tells the time, doesn't matter when it gets busted off by a rock, but how fugly is it 😆

IdleJon

They tell the time, they're cheap, they don't break the first time you put them.

What more do you need to know?

mangoridebike – Member
    My wife has had one for about 8 months, initially it was great but the plastic has started to split around the watch mechanism and I think the face has started to cloud a bit as well. The process for setting the time etc was pretty fiddly as well.

We won't be buying another one.

Jeez, they're a tenner. 🙄 Did you think it would become a family heirloom?

IHN

am sure the casio is better and tick the boxes – cheap, light, reliable, tells the time, doesn't matter when it gets busted off by a rock, but how fugly is it

Never stopped the Inbred becoming the STW frame of choice 🙂

I've had one of the Casios for about five years, it spent two years zip-tied to the bars of my ratty commuter, in pi$$ing rain, frost, occasional snow and never missd a beat. Now is my little, light riding watch.

And, personally, I thin the Breo ones look like they should be worn by 8 year old girls.

iainc

only £7.99 on Wiggle, but poor choice of stock…

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

On DX for no money…
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27729

I rode with a Breo (not the above) every day for 4 months or so until it snapped. I like it, I like that it's light and moves, so doesn't strangle my wrist. It also doesn't leave tan lines, if you care about such things 😀

LMT
    Free Member

One of the women i work with has one, it takes ages to flip to the time, we all take the piss saying she can't tell the time properly as she stares at this watch for a few seconds!

I use a G-shock fits well and has survived many crashes!!

uplink
    Free Member

Personally, I have no use whatsoever for a watch when out riding

iainc

Personally, I have no use whatsoever for a watch when out riding

wish I could say the same, but work/wife/kids/life dicctate otherwise. I don't need to know the date, or have a stopwatch though 😀

mangoridebike

Jeez, they're a tenner. Did you think it would become a family heirloom?

No, but I expected it last at least a year or so, if everything else had been great about it we might have got another one, but as it was we felt it wasn't worth it.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

They are on Chainreaction as well.

MS
    Free Member

Use one all the time. Excellent, light and you barely realise you have a watch on.

Personally look alot better than that ugly casio watch! (i used to have one when i was about 5!)

Dibbs
    Free Member

for and extra 2 quid you can have a breo one that doesn't look like your dad's hand me down looks like an 8 year old girls watch.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Breo, fidddly to set time, can't figure why it has a date function as I can't seem to access the date (PITA for work where date & timing records important). Get the right size, mine is a medium and sadly tends to tourniquet my wrist, so I can't wear it continuously like I might with a proper watch, more daytime only thentake it off or change it for a proper watch.

But they are handy for riding, the only peoblem is the small screen, it's nearly impossible to glance at the screen you have to do a definite arm movement (almost like a "look at me, I have a Breo watch" type movement of the arm). For a tenner though, I'm not going to complain!

finbar
    Free Member

Breo ones are sh1t, avoid.

All missingfrontallobes criticisms +1, except mine rotates round so it's on the inside of my wrist and i have to turn it back to see it. Smaller size would have cut the bloodflow off to my hands.

akira

I prefer this style as I found the thinner ones sometimes roll over or get caught up on gloves or sleeves.

mamadirt
    Free Member

I've had mine for a couple of years – papadirt broke the strap last week 🙁 . The buttons on the back never worked from new (I had to dismantle it to set the time and never bothered altering it for daylight saving) – aside from that it's great for riding – just run it under the tap when it gets covered in mud – and it doesn't leave a tan line on the rare occasion we get any sun 😉 . Not sure whether to get another or go for one of the extremely cheap copies off ebay.

iainc

I bought a Casio in the end – but not that fugly one. £18 with a 5 yr battery 😆

thanks all

avalanche
    Free Member

I like the style but as a timepiece they are crap- needs constant adjustment and the buttons only work every second tuesday after a full moon. + 1 for casio- G shock if you can stretch to it- but the cheaper ones never give any hassle.

iainc

I got this one :

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2772439/Trail/searchtext%3ECASIO+WATCHES.htm

It is only for riding as I have a decent watch that I use rest of the time.

cheap and easy to use, hopefully more robust and less fiddly than the Breo is reported to be

paule
    Free Member

I had one of the cheapo Ebay ones – think it was £1.20 posted… worked well for about 5 months. It was a bit anoying to see the time, but about the only watch I've not found anoying to ride in.

I don't use it anymore, as I need a stopwatch for fell races so wear an old Nike watch for running instead, and none for riding.

Woody
    Free Member

for and extra 2 quid you can have a breo one that…… looks like an 8 year old girls watch.

My first thought too!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Breo watches for riding ?’ is closed to new replies.