Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Brechfa…….. with a 4 year old
  • trb
    Free Member

By happy coincidence our family summer holidays will be spent quite close to Brechfa this year, little trb got his first bike with pedals at christmas and he is very excited at going proper mountain biking with dad!

My current plan is for us to ride some of the green route, so questions for the STW massive,
    1) Is the green at Brechfa proper easy? (little trb will literally be 4 the week we are there)
    2) From the map it looks as though we can cut over to make a very short loop out a couple of km on fireroad and back on singletrack?
    3) Is the return section of green shared with the black? Do I need to be prepared to fend off armoured up rad dooodes al a Glentress?
    4) Once little trb is bored & tired, any recommends for what the missus & kids can do while I blat around the black?

I thank you

flyingmonkeycorps

1. Yes, as far as I remember.
    2. Not a clue, I’m afraid. The green is quite short though.
    3. Yes. I think. Didn’t see anyone at all last time I was there.
    4. Pass.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The green is pretty mellow but he’ll probably need a helping hand on some of the ups at that age and make sure he can control his speed on the downs. The surface is pretty hard so make sure he’s wearing clothing that’ll take the edge off any tumbles.

trb
    Free Member

Cool,
    We live on a hill, so he can control his speed OK on the downs & we’re working on the best strategy for the ups at the moment.

StirlingCrispin

Treat yourself to a LOCT (little one comes too) and then you can both do the black!

Thump often rides his Cnoc 14 on an unsurfaced path next to the river in Stirling. The slightest rise has him off and pushing: I just get off and walk next to him – father/son quality time.

trb
    Free Member

He’s too big for a LOCT – he’s on a Cnoc 16.
    I could bring the tandem with kiddy cranks, but that would limit my planned early morning solo rides!

superfli
    Free Member

My little’un is coming to Les Arcs with me this year. We have a WeeRide on my old Stumpy, he loves it. I’m hoping he’ll enjoy the downhill course just as much as our local trails…well maybe not the downhill! He’ll have just turned 3 🙂

ianv
    Free Member

get a tailgator

cookies

Harry’s 4 and rides a Isla Benin20 he’s getting used to the gears, mainly he stops to change the gear and sets off again. On the steeper ups I use a bit of old windsurfing downhaul rope tied to my seat post loosely lashed to his stem. Works fine when pootling up hill and its taught – just have to watch out for slight downs as tries to overtake you…

much less cluncky than a trail gator.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Brechfa…….. with a 4 year old’ is closed to new replies.