• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Breaking the new bike in…
  • papercutout
    Free Member

Never been quite sure why, but I never see any Trek’s on here.

Anyway, after a season as a bike guide in Turkey, riding a Trek X-caliber 9 for 6 days a week for 27 weeks, I wanted a new bike here at home! Bit of a case of sticking with what you’re used to, I managed to get a current model Superfly 6 for £600. It’s a 17.5″ frame, and I’d probably be better on an 18.5 with a shorter stem, but hey-ho!

So, after 6 months of almost all dry, rocky and gravelly trails, and prior to that a several year break from MTb’ing (I winged it very convincingly in the interview!), I thought I’d take the new bike out. Thankfully the previous owner shipped the bike with a Bontrager Mud on the rear! He also appeared to have cleaned the stickers off the forks and wheels, for a nice clean look!

So, an almost stock 17.5″ Trek Superfly 6 with these bits fitted:

FUNN Full On 785mm 30mm riser bars
    M530 SPD’s
    ISM Peak saddle

I spent a little while today getting used to it – it doesn’t feel a whole lot different. Slightly lighter, and I’m used to 3×10, not 2×10, so I ended up spending my entire time in the ‘big’ ring, powering along. It helps I’m pretty fit now!

Comments?

fathomer

Ignoring the usual STW garden critiquing, what’s going on with the saddle??

tomhoward

Interesting gear choice too.

BFITH
    Free Member

Saddle… That cant last long like that! 😯

papercutout
    Free Member

Saddle isn’t as far back as the stated ‘max’ on the rails, so I’m quite happy with it. ISM’s are nose-less, so it looks stumpier than a normal saddle would.

I always store my bike’s small ring, small ring. No cable stretch that way. The chain DOES need a link taken out though, I literally only ‘put it together’ yesterday. I only landed in the country yesterday too!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

iainc

I have ISM saddles on all my bikes and can confirm that one is about right, albeit pretty far back. As the OP says, they are nose less, so front of it should be 5cm back from your regular saddle as a starting point. The back 5cm or so is never used.

hugo
    Free Member

Trek don’t quite have the brand image they want with the folks interested enough in cycling to be members of an online forum. Ask Lance about it.

I’m not sure what to say about this bike. Unremarkable really. Not in a bad way, just not a lot to comment on minus saddle.

Sounds like you’ll ride it a lot, which is the main thing!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Breaking the new bike in…’ is closed to new replies.