Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What clutched rear mech?
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Slowly, slowly kitting up to hmmm… upgrade my resident single speeder into 4 speeder.

Did some initial tests on old 10 speed cassette bits, 9 speed mech and shifter and some cobbled together chain. Concept work and practical test done, now need to make it happen.

So the question is: what clutched, 10 speed rear mech for experimental home-brew NW chainring and 32/25/18/11 cluster?

I was always SRAM person but stopped on 9 speed.

Anticipating all question Why? What for? Are you mad? Just want to say that got single speed rear hub with mini-freehub body that is accepting up to 4 gears. Do not want to change whole wheel because the one I have is nice and in very good condition. And the gears spread I’ll be able to have in that case would be more than enough for the terrain I’m riding this bike.

Cheers!
    I.

unklehomered
    Free Member

x-9 has worked really well for me and everyone I know.

All those I know with shimano are on their nth mech. Sram, originals through and through, (except the journo but he breaks stuff on purpose just to see if he can).

oldnpastit

You might not actually need a clutch mech if using a NW chainring.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Cheers!

Considering that at the moment I do not have any spare mech I might invest in clutched one regardless. Also not sure how good is this prototype NW ring and 7T gear jumps can be problematic in chain retention.

Thanks for input!

Any one else?

Cheers!
    I.

dai21t
    Free Member

I had an x9 clutch mech and it developed a load of play in the pivots within months. Now using zee and no play in pivots but had to replace the jockey wheels as they are just bushed, not bearings like the better ones. May try saint next.

Northwind

If the narrow wide works then it should do all the heavy lifting, the clutch mech just helps control the chain a little. But still worth it I reckon just for quietness.

I’d go Shimano, personally. Shimano weren’t subtle about ripping off all the things that 9-speed SRAM did better, and their build quality was always a step above, so it’s a winning combo. XT is a really nice bit of kit, well judged, and durable and Saint is imo the best shifter ever made, so… That.

Do keep the receipt though, I think there’s been a rolling revision now which might have fixed it but earlier ones were known for breaking their clutch mechanisms. No biggie- the mech still worked as a normal mech and Shimano replaced them without any fuss, it’s a 5 minute job to swap the broken bit. But still.

Innes
    Free Member

I have a X9 on one bike and an XT on the other, the XT works better when the trails get rough.

dantsw13

Id get a Deore clutch one.

DJTC
    Free Member

me and many friends have big problems with cables snapping on xo and x9 mechs. but we are destroying them in the whistler bike park every day. but at least once a week i snap them in exactly the same place.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Okidoki…

So can you please enlighten me if I go Shimano, that I gather is Dyna -Sys, do I need to go also Dyna – Sys cassette parts and chain? Or it will work OK with any 10 speed cassette/chain combo?

Cheers!
    I.

Northwind

Totally unfussed, I have a shimano chain on one, a sram on another (it’s crap btw) and kmc on the third (which’d be what I’d choose again).

Cassettes, you can shuffle too but you’ll most probably end up buying shimano.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Ta!

Cassette wise I’ll be buying one that would be the easiest to convert into my intended 4 gears cluster.
    Will probably end up with road/CX cassette modification as I want to keep alloy spider carrier and MTB cassettes got more than 4 sprockets attached.
    Roadies tend to have 3-4 sprockets on the carrier spider…

Cheers!
    I.

dirtydog
    Free Member

me and many friends have big problems with cables snapping on xo and x9 mechs. but we are destroying them in the whistler bike park every day. but at least once a week i snap them in exactly the same place.

This.

Badly designed cable routing, and apparently they spend huge sums of money on development, strange how they managed to miss this!

Make sure you pack a spare inner.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Sram x9, but make sure you get redesigned type 2.1.

Stops all chain noise, unless its getting really rock gardenish, then its still utter silence versus a normal mech.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What clutched rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.