Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Breadless trail food ideas please.
  • sam_underhill

I’m trying to cut out bread as an experiment. So I’d normally take a banana and a sandwich as well as some energy bars or shot blocks.

I’m looking for ideas to replace the sandwich that is just as convenient. Ideally leaning towards the healthy spectrum, so pork pies and scotch eggs are out (as delicious as they are!).

TooTall
    Free Member

oat cakes
    more fruit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Breadless or low carb? Long or short acting?

jelly babies are great for short acting boost – almost pure glucose. As too tall says oatcakes are good for a longer acting carb boost

donsimon
    Free Member

I have a banana more or less every hour without fail. No problems whatsoever on 3-4 hour rides.

neninja
    Free Member

A little pot of couscous/rice or something like that?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Crackers, fine cheeses, and hip flask full of port.

sam_underhill

I normally have the sandwich when my rides span lunch time to counter hunger rather than simply providing energy. So I guess I’m looking for the slow release energy from something that is actually filling. Oat cakes sound like a good idea.

BigJohn

I make date and coconut cake for longer rides and everybody loves it. It’s got a bit of flour in but you could use oatmeal if you don’t fancy that. This recipe makes a lot. I usually just make 1/3 of that. I also add sultanas, cherries, ground almonds if I feel like living on the edge.

Date & Coconut

9oz Butter
    3 tbsp golden syrup
    15oz chopped dates
    12oz demarara sugar
    12 oz coconut
    12oz self raising flour
    3 eggs
    Mix it all up then bake (covered) at 180C for 30 minutes

sam_underhill

ground almonds instead of flour might work in the cake. Nom nom nom.

sounds lovely thanks.

fatboyjon

Welcome to singlemiddleagedwomansworld.com you’ve joined us just in time for the baking hour and today we’re talking about…

BigJohn

I’m having a mid-loaf crisis.

Sam – uncover the cake after 20 mins to let the top brown without burning. It will still look all sloppy and uncooked, but will cool nicely moist.

If I put saffron in my bread, will that be a mid-loaf crocus?

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t think I ever eat bread on bike rides.

andycs

Soreen and bananas.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t think I ever eat bread on bike rides.

Apart from when I do. The Dales Bike Centre does a lovely ham, beans and cheese panini and I’ll sometimes have one of those mid-ride.

Normally jelly sweets, eccles cakes, dried fruit, Trek bars or whatever do me. On long rides that span lunchtime I skip lunch.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Soreen loaf – swear by it

sam_underhill

Soreen sounds good but as it’s made with flour it’s on the bread list at the moment as part of the experiment. It is delicious though, I’ll agree.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwt-DUpKPYA%5D

Eat like a pro! There is also a rice recipe as well, defiantly going to give both a try with the eye to using in endurance races.

finbar
    Free Member

Onigiri are my go-to food for particularly long bike rides. Dead easy to make, you just need rice, mirin and nori.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hard boiled eggs.

Bio degradable wrapper (shell) and make you fart like a good un.

Pieface

I can understand white bread being bad, but is wholegrain / granary really that much worse than oatcakes?

finbar
    Free Member

Gluten is the problem, and that’s found in both white and brown flour. Actually you could argue white bread is healthier than brown, as more of the phytates and lectin are removed in processing the wheat.

(i’d say oats are marginally less bad than wheat, but i don’t eat oats either)

alexxx
    Free Member

why the hell was there a video on how to boil a potato?

nealy
    Free Member

This is what I have most of the time, tasty and easy to eat.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

9 Bars are tasty and gluten free

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Breadless trail food ideas please.’ is closed to new replies.