Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • why would my car be buring a lot of oil ?
  • firestarter
    Free Member

ive an old petrol fiesta and its using about a litre every 250 miles any reasons for this ? ta

kiwijohn

The rings are stuffed. Time for a rebore & new piston & rings. & bearings too.

firestarter
    Free Member

time for new car lol its only a cheapy to get me thru til i find a new one guess ill keep topping up when needed

would one of those fuel treatment bottles of crap help or is that just rubbish halfords junk

racing_ralph
    Free Member

02 tdci zetec focus for sale here that would be great for you 🙂

kiwijohn

An oil treatment type stuff might help for a bit.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Possible problem with the cooling system. Could be a myriad of things. Check your rad, water pump, thermostat etc.

firestarter
    Free Member

rad coolant thermostat seems fine, ill just keep running im only after keeping it for the rest of the mot in july really,

i was meant to be buying that vectra from here for 800 but with all the snow i couldnt get down there ;-( so had to blob out , bugger bugger

racing ralph it looks pretty good but too much for me mate ;-)shame as i had a focus estate a few years back and really liked it

coolhandluke
    Free Member

second opinion for rings or have you altered the oil recently. Too thin and it will p155 through it.

Are you sure its not going into the water jacket (headgasket issue) look for emulsified oil or oil in the expansion chamber.

conkerman
    Free Member

Sounds knackered to me.

Its either leaking out ( you should see it) or being burned through the engine, then it could be rings, turbo, valve guides. Just worn out.

solamanda
    Free Member

Can you see any leaks or oil smell when the engine is hot?

MrNutt
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

is there any margarine inside the oil cap? is there a puddle of oil under the car?

firestarter
    Free Member

aye mr nutt have some marg in the oil cap . tho im also told this is down to short journeys and enginge not getting hot enough to get rid of moisture and also getting left unused for long perionds. apparently pretty common in little old fiesta. dunno tho i thought it was a head gasket thing tbh. its not losing owt else tho or getting hot so **** knows

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hmm, I reckon it could be the Bulb End’s gone, you know…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

bulorch
    [*][list=1][list][/code]

What do all them things mean?

MrNutt
    Free Member

any oil in the rad?

Nico
    Free Member

Valve guides usually produce blue smoke. I think worn rings, bores etc. will also make it smoky.

firestarter
    Free Member

no oil in rad alex and oil looks normal too. its a bit smokey on start up but clears as soon as a pull away

could be right fred 😉

twosheds
    Free Member

Maybe, it thinks that its being followed so needs to burn oil in an attempt to hide. I think some shops crossing the atlantic did that to avoid being shelled. I think their was some oil burning in the cruel sea?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I think some shops crossing the atlantic did that to avoid being shelled

(Has visual mage of a newsagents, a Poundsaver and a Spar, floating on the waves, having empathy with prawns.)

Spongebob
    Free Member

Coz it’s ufcked!

Gary_C

lol @ RudeBoy

molgrips
    Free Member

Oil smoke stinks. You’ll see it wafting about over other cars and making people in convertibles choke at traffic lights. At least, that’s what happened with my car 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

the smoke smells a bit at start up but thats it. im hoping it holds out til after my wedding in oct cant be doing with more outgoings lol

fingerbike
    Free Member

Put diesel oil in it, thicker so should last a bit longer, did it on a panda I got for free and it still ran OK…

firestarter
    Free Member

might be worth a try when i finish my current bottle 😉

dave_aber
    Free Member

You can also stick a mix on engine oil and gearbox oil to thicken it. AFAIR Wynns do an oil thickener which also helps it stay where it’s supposed to

firestarter
    Free Member

christ now its getting mad lol

stumpy01

What Fiesta is it? MkIII? I had this on my M reg 1.4 Fiesta and it turned out to be the front nearside brake caliper sticking on. Didn’t seem to affect the mpg too much, but I was going through oil at a rate of knots. Normally the oil level didn’t move on the dipstick – it was a great car, I used to do 520 miles/week in it and the oil never moved.

One day on the way to work, the pad on the sticking caliper went down to the metal, so had to get it changed quick sharp. Needed a new caliper and discs/pads replaced on the front, but then went back to using no discernible oil at all.

Trekster

Possibly blocked breather, filler cap and I think there is a mesh one down the back of the engine. These block creating pressure in the block forcing oil up the bores, gets scrapped off and burnt. Can also cuase seals to leak eg crankshaft

The fact that it smokes on start up and clears could indicate worn valve stem & seals(head off job.

All those oil thickening trick are rubbish btw. Diesel oil has(or used to) have a detergent in it to scavenge any residue s from the bores, hence it gets very black & smelly. Can be used but needs changing more oftn or can cause damage.

firestarter
    Free Member

how mad lol its a mk111 n reg 1.3

vadar
    Free Member

Cany say more.. its a ford

basonjillett
    Free Member

Hey Trekster i am with you what a laugh looking at likely causes of oil consumption without even knowing what kind of engine we are dealing with !!!!!!!!
    Those old fiesta engines were terrible for blocking breathers especially if they were used a lot for short journeys.
    Has anyone actually thought as to wether the oil is being burnt or leaking out !!!!
    Firestarter
    Perhaps remove the rocker cover have a look inside if the top of the engine is completely gummed up? you could try chipping all the sludge away there should be some holes in the head which go down into the block make sure these are clear if there blocked all the crankcase pressure will go back up past the rings forcing the oil thats supposed to be in the engine into the combustion chamber and then out the exhaust ,although if it was burning that much oil i would expect you to leave a constant trail of smoke !!!!!and foul the spark plugs too.
    If its that gummed up try some engine flush, then an oil change and use the cheapest mineral oil you can get 10/40. Those old engines were never designed for super thin super slipery oils

Jase

Trekster

Cheers Jase

Been 30 odd years since I played around with car engines but I do have a photo with me, my foreman and the first Fiesta when we did a course pre launch

At one point we put a rally cam in our demo sport which made it a real fun motor

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers all will have a look later 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘why would my car be buring a lot of oil ?’ is closed to new replies.