Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Brand X Ascend dropper – anyone been using one?
  • joebristol

My current dropper is 100mm so expecting this 120mm one to be enough. But we’ll see how we go!

foureyes
    Free Member

Hmm sorry Joe that sounds more faff than easy swap doesn’t it, I did have to file the barrel on my original lever as it was malformed in production and more of a banana than barrel so it is of course possible. It sounded like a drop in (fnar) swap 🙂

Yes I’m getting some play now like poopscoop, which I’m pretty sure wasn’t there at new but for this money I’m happy.

rascal
    Free Member

Finally got round to fitting mine today – very easy.
    Did a ride up and down the street to try and very impressed…actually feels nicer and more instant then my old Reverb did…gets a proper ride in the Peaks next weekend 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

I’ve not seen a review head to head that suggests that. Mixed reviews on both posts – what’s the lever like on the Rsp post? I’ve got the previous rsp plummet with the mechanical action and the lever is pretty agricultural so it must be a big improvement on that I assume?

ive got the old RSP plummet on my old bike and i agree that the action does feel agricultural. the new lever is a lot smoother and looks better too. another one of my friends has just bought one and i was impressed at how smooth it feels.
    the design of the lever is very similar to the one i have on my giant contact sl stealth

qtip

Following a crash during practice at the Welsh Enduro Series round at Coed y Brenin yesterday, I now too have a broken lever. The loop of material that surrounds the pivot point snapped. Still worked well enough to get me through the race as the cable tension held the lever in position on the pivot, it was just a bit flappy in use! Seems like a fairly weak point and I can imagine quite a few get broken in crashes, but it wouldn’t be enough to put me off buying the post. I was almost tempted to buy the Race Face lever, which is apparently a straight swap, but it’s twice the price so I’ll take my chances with another BrandX one, especially as I like the positioning and action of it.

joebristol

Fitted my ascend post today – bit of a fiddle but think it’s ok. Maybe have a little bit too much cable outer looped round as it goes into the seat tube of the frame but nothing too bad. Bit trial and error I found in terms of shortening the outer / inner.

Seems to work well although haven’t ridden the bike with it yet – will try it properly tomorrow. In terms of travel I probably couldn’t quite fit a 150mm travel post anyway. Glad I didn’t go for a 150mm reverb.

joebristol

Used the bike last night for the first time with the. Ew dropper. Feels smooth and reactive – not any different from the reverb I tried about a month ago on a demo bike. Except the lever on the ascend is nicer as shifter style not a little button.

Guess the acid test is how long it lasts like this! I’m running a rear enduro guard mudguard thing which should protect the seat post / rear shock / linkages from the worst of the mud splatter which I hope should help.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Mine got very graunchy after 7 months and started to bind in its travel with loads of play. Hotlines asked me to send it back to CRC.

Hermes lost it in the system so CRC sent me a new one. We’ll see if this lasts a bit longer. My 2 year old Thomson on another bike is still like new…

ogden
    Free Member

Mine is as good as the day in bought it 4 months in! 100x better than the giant one. I’ll probably upgrade to a longer one if they release one

pickle
    Free Member

Mines been faultless since fitting about 8 months ago now.

Just recently lubed up the cable and it’s as smooth as silk.

cchris2lou

Shame they don’t do an external cable version.
    Can’t bring myself to drill my carbon frame

Kamakazie

Is there any ETA on a longer drop version?

wilbert

Mine developed loads of play (saddle twisting left / right) after a handful of rides. As this happens the cap at the top of the static section of the post works loose. Saddle only twists when at full extension.

During my last ride it was also not returning properly.

Not sure whether something has worked loose / there is a manufacturing fault with mine / they are all just a bit crap. Whichever, it shouldn’t be doing this.

I am currently waiting to hear back from CRC.

wilbert

In case anyone on this thread is interested, CRC replaced my post quickly without question.

The new post seems way better than the old one straight away. I realise now that with the old one I had to unweight the post and then reapply weight to get it to drop. Not so with the new one, just push the lever whilst seated and it drops. The new one seems to have less unwanted movement too.

Not sure if the design has changed slightly in the meantime. New post has slightly different seals and decals on the top-cap.

joebristol

Good to know. Mines ok 2 months or so in. Pretty much no play and still smooth. It is the summer though so not been subjected to too much abuse yet.

joebristol

So I broke my dropper remote in a crash – smashed my knee into it as I went over / through the handlebars. Not sure if the remote or knee won really – the remote still functions but is wobbly as I’ve snapped a bit hatbholds the cable, but my knee also looks quite mangled!

Did anyone find a replacement dropper lever that’s a straight swap without changing the end the cable is clamped that’s any better jam the standard one?

If not I’ll just buy a straight replacement as I honk the impact would have broken most levers – I hit it hard enough to spin round he bars but it took a lot of effort to spin it back even after undoing the clamp bolt!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Brand X Ascend dropper – anyone been using one?’ is closed to new replies.