Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Brand X Ascend dropper – anyone been using one?
  • joebristol

Per the above really. I’ve just taken delivery of one and it feels nice and positive to use (off the bike). Just wondering if the people who have one on here how they are finding the reliability / longevity of it?

Won’t be fitting it to a bike until my new one arrives next week to see how well it works in action.

clubby

Been done several times. Do a wee search.
    If you can’t be arsed though, mine is 6 months on and less side to side play than KS Lev was when new.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Got one on my Aeris too, five rides in and it feels pretty good – can’t comment on longer term longevity yet though! The remote it very flimsy though, and the cable is prone to pulling through the end ferrule at the base of the post unless cranked tight – I’m going to convert mine to the Bontrager lever which clamps at the lever end.

amedias
    Free Member

Had one for a few months, so far so good, lasted better than my first KS post already 😉

Time will tell on the longevity front but it seems well made.

qtip

Mine’s still faultless a few months in

ogden
    Free Member

Ordered one form ubyk last Wednesday and it’s still not shipped yet! I seem to be getting brushed off every-time I ask them as well. If your in a rush maybe order one from CRC, my bike is in bit’s so I’m not to bothered.

rascal
    Free Member

Mine arrived Monday.
    Seems good quality. Got as far as threading cable through frame, and putting seat on post but not on bike yet. Have you owners cut the cable exactly as per their leaflet instructions? All working ok?
    Nervous about making the cut as knowing me it’ll be too short…

enduroforever
    Free Member

Better than my last 3 reverbs. And 3 times cheaper too

rascal
    Free Member

ogden – I ordered mine from ubyk too. Mine arrived within 5 days – Richard was quick to respond with any queries I had. My grub screw was missing so emailed yesterday morning. He spoke to Hotlines and a complete new lever set waiting on doormat when I got home tonight. Overall been very impressed with them given I had barely heard of them this time last week.

ogden
    Free Member

Opposite to what I’ve had to deal with so far tbh. Ordered Wednesday then told on Friday it would ship that day, told yesterday it would ship today but still nothing. Think I’ll avoid them in future.

hammerite
    Free Member

Rascal – I was nervous when making the cut too. Went for 19mm, connected it all up, put everything in place, pulled the lever a few times to check it all worked ok, then removed the post again and remeasured. A bit more of the cable had come through so trimmed it, replaced and everything has been working fine since.

foureyes
    Free Member

Mine has been great for about 5 months with a mudguard , I agree the ferule is an obvious but hidden point of failure though!

Idiotdogbrain that bontrager lever sounds a good idea I will look into it ta

munakorva
    Free Member

When does the 150mm drop version come? 170mm would be almost too good.

That post feels super solid for its price, but saddly the 125mm is just a bit too short for my use.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Had >6 months of abuse on mine and it’s working flawlessly.

prawny

Another brief but satisfied owner here. About 5 rides in, better than the KS etens I had before, would like a slightly longer drop, but I can get a crud rear guard on the bit that sticks out so that’s a bonus.

joebristol

All fairly good news so far then. The only dropper I’ve owned so far is the mechanical rsp plummet and in all the time I’ve had it I haven’t had to do a single bit of maintenance on it. And I’ve done some seriously muddy rides too. New bike doesn’t have external dropper routing so it’s been retired to my play / commute hardtail.

Hoping this ascend post lasts a while with no problems.

120mm travel is 20mm more the plummet and I normally used that at the halfway point in its travel with only occasional use at its lowest setting so figure 120mm travel should be fine for now.

gonzy
    Free Member

one of my mates has one on his nukeproof…goes up and down smoothly although the amount of drop isnt massive…but the lever is not the best design.
    he had a small off and the lever snapped off…the cable tension is holding it together

joebristol

I’ve seen that feedback – the suggestion I’ve seen online is that the Bongrager dropper post lever is cheap to buy and much better quality. Only thing is the cable is retained at the lever rather than the post so not sure how easy it will be to retro fit.

If it’s sat under the bars how did he manage to damage it in the crash?

foureyes
    Free Member

Joe the brand x post uses a teeny weeny grub screw in a separate cable barrel inside the end of the post. It’s the same shape and size as a standard cable end so the idea I think is that the bontrager ‘hack’ simply has you using the proper barrel in the post and the new lever grub screw is holding the cable directly in the lever probably with a decent sized screw.

joebristol

That sounds like a winning bodge then – saw a Bontrager post / lever in Mud Dock earlier in the week and it felt quite nice quality. For £15 it might be a worthwhile modification anyway if the standard lever is pap.

kayla1
    Free Member

They’re jolly good but the standard lever is a bit flimsy, yes.

foureyes
    Free Member

Flimsy but feels good in use. I’m waiting in disbelief for the failure of the grub screw before I update it.

gonzy
    Free Member

If it’s sat under the bars how did he manage to damage it in the crash?

when he came off the bars spun around and as the bike landed the lever hit a small rock and came off worse

joebristol

Ouch. I imagine most levers might have bought it with that sort of accident in fairness….

prawny

Had a nose in evans at lunch and it looks like the brand x lever at least is the same as the tranz x one, which is only £95 from ze germans.

gonzy
    Free Member

Ouch. I imagine most levers might have bought it with that sort of accident in fairness….

levers were perfectly fine…basically his front wheel got jammed between rocks and he came off sideways but as he did her turned the bars left but the bike fell to the right

he’s looking at the new rsp plummet instead now

joebristol

A new lever is only £15 – surely not worth changing posts for? The rsp is a budget post as well….

nairnster
    Free Member

oureyes – Member
    Joe the brand x post uses a teeny weeny grub screw in a separate cable barrel inside the end of the post. It’s the same shape and size as a standard cable end so the idea I think is that the bontrager ‘hack’ simply has you using the proper barrel in the post and the new lever grub screw is holding the cable directly in the lever probably with a decent sized screw

Without removing my post i think they are different in size, but would be interested in this as well.

If anyone does the above please post and let us know.

joebristol

I haven’t fitted my post yet – if I get a chance later I’ll pop into the garage and see how big the slot is in comparison to a standard cable end.

nairnster
    Free Member

Nice one. Much appreciated.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

To use the Bontrager remote you need to use the barrel clamp from the post end of the Brand X but counter-drill the cable hole halfway to create a recess for the cable end ferrule to sit in, that’s all.

nairnster
    Free Member

Fair enough. I don’t have the tools to do that so will just carry on as is.

I thought you meant using the barrel end of a road gear cable.

joebristol

I was assuming that you could perhaps use a gear cable with the large round end on (are these road cables?) from the previous comment. Certainly a quick look at the end of the post suggests it might – but I didn’t get time to go out and look properly.

nairnster
    Free Member

Thats what i thought as well.

gonzy
    Free Member

A new lever is only £15 – surely not worth changing posts for? The rsp is a budget post as well….

has a smoother action and a better designed lever

joebristol

I’ve not seen a review head to head that suggests that. Mixed reviews on both posts – what’s the lever like on the Rsp post? I’ve got the previous rsp plummet with the mechanical action and the lever is pretty agricultural so it must be a big improvement on that I assume?

joebristol

Just tried a big round head gear cable and it’s just too big to fit in the round gap at the bottom of the ascend post. Darn it.

Poopscoop

Just tried a big round head gear cable and it’s just too big to fit in the round gap at the bottom of the ascend post. Darn it.

Dremel/file?

joebristol

It’s more for the future really – mines brand new so I don’t have a broken lever at the moment. Was just looking at it before I put the post on the bike (which I don’t have yet).

Poopscoop

As an aside and back to reliability…

15 stone plus rider here using the Brand X.

All good so far, small amount of moving in shaft but not deteriorating at the moment.

I love the lever action personally. If it breaks I will probably just buy a new one.

Ideally yes, the cable end would be nicer at the deeper end but I can live with this slight inconvenience.

Will be upgrading when a 150mm version appears.

Good value for money dropper in my opinion. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Brand X Ascend dropper – anyone been using one?’ is closed to new replies.