Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Brand new unused Lyriks – nasty surprise inside – damper O ring snapped.
  • zangolin
    Free Member

Brand new straight out the box Lyrik U-turns not even installed on the bike yet.
    Always like to service new forks to make sure fork oil is correct + seals are well lubed etc.
    Lowers off – all fine.
    Removed mission control – as I am gently pulling out the MC damper unit noticed two loose ball bearings + a snapped O ring floating about.
    Not to impressed!
    Came from upper part of unit linked to high speed compression control.
    Luckily found exact size O ring (blue one in photo) in my large selection of various sizes.
    So managed to finish service + setup forks ok.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ham fisted monkeyness disguised as veiled attack on rockshox?

Ambrose

And the ball bearings came from where?

matt_outandabout

what have RS said?

zangolin
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member
    ham fisted monkeyness disguised as veiled attack on rockshox?

Not sure what you mean?
    Nothing against Rockshox – always had nothing but positive experiences with RS forks + certainly no ham "fistedness" going on.

Anyway explain to me how you could manage to snap that particular O ring + release the two ball bearings without even touching them?

zangolin
    Free Member

And the ball bearings came from where?

bearings fit into a two seperate recess/holes then held in place by the O ring in groove just above the spring (you can see the blue replacment o ring).

Konastoner
    Free Member

Well that's changed then, my 07 Lyriks have the same C clip that holds the BB's in the low speed circuit just larger. You shouldn't even have an O ring there, take em straight back, These have abviously been butchered!

zangolin
    Free Member

Konastoner – Member
    Well that's changed then, my 07 Lyriks have the same C clip that holds the BB's in the low speed circuit just larger. You shouldn't even have an O ring there, take em straight back, These have abviously been butchered!

That's interesting.
    All the info/pics I could find (on a Sunday) seems to show a O ring in that location.
    See: http://www.tftunedshox.com/catalogue/image.aspx?img_id=adb5cee0-88cd-4773-b897-9c2000f2f7ce

rolfharris
    Free Member

Why would you service a new fork? How odd.

zangolin
    Free Member

rolfharris – Member
    Why would you service a new fork? How odd.

Strange not to. Check for faults i.e. the one found, put synthetic oil in etc. Fork seals often need extra lube etc.
    Setting a baseline really knowing everything is as it should be.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Nope 100% sure Zangolin, just took out my Mission Control unit and checked. It's a C clip, I do agree though that the TFT pic looks like an O ring. Must a weight saving thing 😀
    Either way you wont have a very positive "Click" between sewttings on the high speed circuit.

zangolin
    Free Member

Nope 100% sure Zangolin, just took out my Mission Control unit and checked. It's a C clip, I do agree though that the TFT pic looks like an O ring. Must a weight saving thing
    Either way you wont have a very positive "Click" between sewttings on the high speed circuit.

Thanks for looking Kona. Found a few more pics from 07/08 Lyriks + as you say they defo have a c-clip/split-ring holding the BB's in place. Maybe changed design for 09 forks? – but as you say with a rubber O ring there is no real click when adjusting the HS Circuit.
    Bit of a mystery really. As I said forks are brand new + from a proper UK bike shop/Rock Shox Dealer
    I shall give TFTuned a phone tomorrow morning plus have email RS direct.

zangolin
    Free Member

SOLVED
    Just spoken to TFShox + Rock Shox for 2009 have changed from a split metal ring to a rubber O ring to keep the two bearings in place.
    Still doesn't explain why the ring was snapped! Just glad I have a bit of OCD when it comes to building bikes 😯
    So all is well.

brant
    Free Member

You must have the 2010 model where they're combining both features of a split metal ring, and a rubber o ring, into a "split rubber o ring"…

boom tish.

stumpy01

My old Judys had one of the travel adjust spacers missing in one leg the first time I serviced them. Up to then the forks had never been apart, so it must not have been put in, in the factory.
    Hard to know if it affected performance or not really, seeing as it was like it from new, so I had nothing to gauge it against, really.

zangolin
    Free Member

brant – Member

You must have the 2010 model where they're combining both features of a split metal ring, and a rubber o ring, into a "split rubber o ring"…

boom tish.
    Ha ha 🙄

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Brand new unused Lyriks – nasty surprise inside – damper O ring snapped.’ is closed to new replies.