Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • My ebay seller is not contacting me – should i pay anyway?
  • bomberman
    Free Member

I’m getting the feeling that my ebay seller is reluctant to hand the item over. I was totally sneaky with my bidding – he’d replied to a question saying he would post the item but that it would cost £20 to do so. nobody was bidding so i took a punt at the last second and won the item (an orange amp). I’d already done my homework and informed him i would be able to get the item sent by courier for 7 pounds. He hasn’t replied, it’s been 2 days, i’m thinking he’s gutted that i got the item so cheap (which is his problem).

should i pay for the item, thus locking him into the sale? after all if he continues ignoring me all that will happen is that he’ll get negative feedback. but i still want the amp!

thomthumb
    Free Member

paypal always side with the seller if you need to dispute….

finbar
    Free Member

Maybe he doesn’t want to faff about with your courier? I’d be bl00dy annoyed if i was him.

bomberman
    Free Member

not much of a dispute then is it? what if i send him the money and he keeps my money and dosent send the item?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

he wants to make some money back on the postage meet him half way

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i just won a dispute as a buyer last week.
    so, no. wrong.

bomberman
    Free Member

Maybe he doesn’t want to faff about with your courier? I’d be bl00dy annoyed if i was him.

well that’s what i’m thinking finbar….

but if he told someone else he had the box for it and could send it then surely he must have been thinking about posting it anyway

stuckinarut
    Free Member

I think to be fair, he has said that his postage rate is 20 quid in response to the Q, so that’s what I’d expect to pay.

There’s more to postage than just the cost of the courier, there’s the packing, and just the hassle of having to post it yourself anyway. I’d not expect buyers to come back suggesting their own delivery options.

Orange amps cool tho – I’d pay the 20 and get it if you’ve got it for a cheeky bid anyway 🙂

bomberman
    Free Member

he wants to make some money back on the postage meet him half way

why should i? he took the risk of selling on an online auction why should i give my money away to him?

IanMunro
    Free Member

not much of a dispute then is it? what if i send him the money and he keeps my money and dosent send the item?

What if you get runover by a car tommorrow? Life’s is risk.

bomberman
    Free Member

but stuckinarut, the difference between £6.99 and £20 is quite a lot when i’m only paying £61 for the amp

uplink
    Free Member

You bid on it knowing that you’d be charged £20 to ship it to you

You’re the one backing out of the deal IMO

bomberman
    Free Member

no, somebody ELSE asked him about postage and the reply, which he made public, was:

“i should think it would be quite pricey – about £20”

EDIT: apologies for not putting that in the OP but i didn’t want to write an essay

geoffj

So you’ve actually bid on the item on a collect only basis? If that is the case, then its up to him to accept your courier proposal – you can’t insist on it. Depends how much you want it, but if it were me, I’d offer to pay for the courier myself and offer him an extra £10 or so for the hassle of boxing it up and waiting in for the courier.

chakaping
    Free Member

The seller sets the postage charge, so I don’t think you have a leg to stand on if it comes to a dispute.

If you arrange a courier he might have to wait in all day, whereas if he posts he could just pop down the Post Office.

righty
    Free Member

by bidding you were agreeing to his postage charges and you already knew this was £20, it doesn’t matter if you can find a cheaper courier or not, the only one being difficult is you trying to back out of paying what is due.
    If by any chance he doesn’t send the goods or you dont get them after paying paypal ALWAYS side with the buyer.

bomberman
    Free Member

ok i’m getting the feeling that the general consensus is that i should pay him what he wants for shipping.

HOWEVER, he simply hasn’t been in contact. not at all. if he came back to me and said “well, that’s a bit cheeky since i’ll be the one posting it” and actually attempted to discuss it then i’d be ok with that. but NADA..

bomberman
    Free Member

So you’ve actually bid on the item on a collect only basis?

spot on geoffj. but he had already told someone else he was willing to post the item. and i have told him i’ll be sorting out the courier at my end. i suppose he does have the hastle of waiting in for the courier at his end. but who knows if he won’t get in touch there’s no way of finding out is there?

what i want to know is should i pay for the amp with paypal or not?

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

You should have got a message beforehand confirming exactly what the postage price would have been, or confirm that it is ok to collect. If you are sitting there and don’t know how much to pay him then forget about it. If he wasn’t willing to commit to a postage price then forget about bidding.

You need to confirm how much he wants before you can pay, so send him a reminder asking for the invoice. Give him until Monday lunchtime – if still no answer then neg the fecker!

bomberman
    Free Member

righty – Member

by bidding you were agreeing to his postage charges and you already knew this was £20,

incorrect – it was listed as collection only but he made public an email to another bidder that he would post the item – he was unsure of the price but thought it MIGHT be around the £20 mark.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Personally wouldnt pay for anything without communications, whether I was being a bit knobbish over postage or not. 😀

bomberman
    Free Member

mysterymurdoch – thanks that’s good advice. it’s not my fault he dosen’t know how to respond to email. I DID email him beforehand but didn’t get a reply but the deal was too good to miss so i bid anyway.

is there a formal way of asking him for an invoice? other than a standard email?

thomthumb
    Free Member

i meant buyer sorry!

bomberman
    Free Member

it’s not being knobbish it’s just using my noodle. maybe a bit cheeky but then again if he wanted more money he should have set the auction up as a buy it now shouldn’t he 🙂

geoffj

Send him a messge through eBay and ask him what he wants to do. The ball is in his court. If he doesn’t respond there’s nothing much you can do other than neg him and tbh that would not really be fair IMHO.

bomberman
    Free Member

why wouldn’t it be fair to neg him FFS? i’ve won the item fair and square! you can’t suddenly decide that you didn’t get what you wanted and pull out. It’s an auction.

Aidy
    Free Member

You can do a request total thing, or something through ebay.
    Should be on the item screen iirc.

bomberman
    Free Member

i will only neg him if he dosen’t communicate anyway. sent him a request for the total with a note on saying i am willing to negotiate on postage but to check with me first to make sure i agree. after all i don’t want to invite him to charge me £30 for postage! that would be a sure fire way of him being able to keep the item and re-list it at a higher price!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem – he won the item but chose to have a courier collect it for him rather than go in person. The seller still gets his sale price (which he would get if it was collected in person).

It would just get messy if (as has been said) he then had to wait in all day for the courier to collect.

I once sold something with a collect only policy (an old dishwasher). The winning bid came from someone 200 miles away so I was lumbered with having to pack it up but drew the line at waiting in for the courier the buyer organised so I just left it outside (as agreed with the buyer) and went to work. He got it okay, and I got £50 for something I would otherwise have had to get to the tip somehow.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Or are you expecting him to PAY the £7 you claim it will cost locally and organise the courier for you? If so, you are taking the Michael if you expect him to only charge £7 because that is how much you can get it couriered for – you should organise and pay for the courier yourself.

IanMunro
    Free Member

why wouldn’t it be fair to neg him FFS? i’ve won the item fair and square! you can’t suddenly decide that you didn’t get what you wanted and pull out. It’s an auction.

You’ve done a superb job of reminding me why I never sell things on ebay.
    Thank you.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Bomberman – it wouldn’t be fair if you started haggling with him about the postage cost. That £20 might be the cost to the other person asking the question for the seller jumping in his car and delivering it by hand (potentially).

I’d request an invoice, or paypal him with the £20 postage included as an additional charge or something. Paypal will refund you if it all kicks off so you’ll not lose out.

If you neg, strop, etc. then you’ve lost a bargain Orange amp. Just remember that’s the goal here. You did bid on it knowing the postage was £20, NOT £7 so drop that notion of getting it cheaper.

If he was really switched on he pretend to post the frame, it’ll get ‘lost’ in transit, then he’ll refund you money….

geoffj

If you agreed to the £20 postage fee or collected the item you would be playing fair. If you want something else that the seller didn’t agree to before you bid then you aren’t really. If I was the seller I’d insist on the £20 postage or offer it as a second chance. All IMHO of course 😉

breatheeasy
    Free Member

sent him a request for the total with a note on saying i am willing to negotiate on postage

By emailing the guy haggling for the postage you’ve potentially opened yourself up to a get-out clause – if eBay see that message during a dispute then they could well come down on the side of the seller

baronspudulike
    Free Member

So you see an item that is stated as collection only, this puts a number of people off as they don’t live locally. Another ebayer, not yourself, asks about possible postage and the seller suggests they might consider it but at £20 ish. You email the seller about posting and hear nothing back but still bid, and win the auction, for collection only. After two days of the auction ending you have not paid, and seem to think the seller should stay in all day, probably taking a day off work to do so, in order for your courier to collect the item from them. But in 48 hours they have not arranged for your courier to pick up the item so you are going to give them negative feedback?
    Well obviously you are in the right, what is this ebayer playing at stating how the item is to be sold/deliveried and then wanting to stick to it! 🙂
    But seriously I think you are going to have to collect in person or be very very nice to the seller if you want them to post it to you, as they have stated collection only.

bomberman
    Free Member

right, i’m sick of everyone assuming i’m a c**k. Hang on a minute and i’ll post a screenshot

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Heh, man I know how you feel!

😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

I thought the issue was the seller hadn’t been intouch with the OP since he won the auction and should he pay or wait to hear from the seller first?
    The whole courier / delivery charge things irrelevant since it was advertised as collection only, but it could be delivered for £20ish according to the seller.

dooosuk
    Free Member

If the item is that much of a bargain, it’ll still be a bargain for £13 extra.

I think spudulike has summed it up.

🙄

bomberman
    Free Member

After two days of the auction ending you have not paid, and *** seem to think the seller should stay in all day, probably taking a day off work to do so, in order for your courier to collect the item from them. But in 48 hours they have not arranged for your courier to pick up the item so you are going to give them negative feedback?

you were exactly right up until this point ***

i’ve already emailed him to tell him i’ll sort the courier out and pay for it myself! IF that’s ok with him! BUT HE HASNT REPLIED. NOT IN 2 DAYS HAS HE MADE A SOUND! what are you chatting man?

this is the question that the other guy sent him, asking if he could box it up for COURIER COLLECTION. He agrees, but thinks it’ll cost 20 quid. I win the item and inform him that i can arrange a courier for £7.99 with interparcel. NO REPLY! AND STILL NO REPLY AFTER 2 DAYS!

i hope now all the haters/trolls can see what i’m getting at!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘My ebay seller is not contacting me – should i pay anyway?’ is closed to new replies.