Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Brake pads too thick?
  • duntmatter
    Free Member

I’ve just bough new pads for my HFX9s. The old ones were worn right down, and the rear rotor had started to get thin. The new rotor is maybe 0.1mm thicker, so shouldn’t make much difference. The new pads are too thick to fit in the caliper without a rotor, let alone with!

What do I need to do?

glenp
    Free Member

Have you pushed the pistons all the way back in?

Junkyard
    Free Member

reinsert worn pads insert large flat edged implement (screwdriver for example) push pistons back

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

If you haven’t already, get a spanner and push the pistons right back (use the open end so you don’t bork the retaining pin.

If still too thick, give pads a quick once rub down with finishing paper (put the paper on something flat & rub the pads on the paper)

Are they superstar sintered pads? Ones I had were too thick as well

duntmatter
    Free Member

Cheers folks. I’ll try pushing the pistons back in.

They’re Alligator metallic pads.

kona_uk
    Free Member

I had the same problem a few weeks back, I just left the old pads in, used a large flat screwdriver and pushed the pistons all the way back in.

Then the new pads seemed to fit ok.

foxyrider
    Free Member

dont squeeze the pistols themselves as they are basically bakerlite and you’ll crack them (past experience 😉 ) I was given a tip from hope – use an old tyre lever in them if you have good pads int hem 🙂

turnip
    Free Member

Let some fluid out as you push the pistons back. HFX are prone to this

jojoA1
    Free Member

I did get some pads from Disco brakes that were actually too big for the calipers. Poor tolerances for machining the backing plate I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Brake pads too thick?’ is closed to new replies.