Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Brake pads – OEM vs cheapies
  • randomjeremy
    Free Member

I’ve always used the OEM-spec brake pads that come with my Hopes, and can’t fault them really, they do the job well. I got to wondering about these companies like discobrakes and superstar and they do seem to offer excellent value for money. The economist in me thinks about economies of scale, and concludes that most of the brake pads on the market must be supplied by one or two OEMs in the far east.

So what do people do? Stick with OEM, buy the cheap pads? I don’t mind paying 14 quid for a set of Hope-branded pads to be honest, when I consider the importance of the brakes and the overall cost of mountain biking it’s a tiny amount, just interested in peoples’ experiences with third party brake pad suppliers.

cheers, Keith

Speshpaul

i’ve tried a few ceap brands but i’m back with hopes own again and they seem to be lasting longer. Generally happier with them

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have used superstar pads for a while now, no issues to report.
    The kevlar ones are damn good! Plenty of grip, minimal wear. Good price too.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I use the Hope ones. Seem as good as any, plus they include new pins, spring and retention clip which the OEM ones don’t. I go through 2-3 sets per year, so the saving on non OEM just doesn’t add much cost in the grand scheme

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

not Hope but use these guys for Formula and Shimano, got a set of 3 pairs for the price of 1 OE pair, came with the springs, and work as well as the OE and have a bewildering range.

http://www.discobrakes.com/

Weasel
    Free Member

I’ve been using Discobrakes for pads but seem to find the springs a slightly different size, just seem to take ages to fit and it’s not like I have sausage fingers, but using the new pads and old Hope spring works well.

Otherwise snap up Hope pads off ebay.

Northwind

Hmm, I tried Disco ones and they weren’t that hot- short lifespan and the braking surface broke up a bit.

Superstar’s kevlar pads are good- not just cheap, I chose them over Shimano OEM on performance and the same for Formula now. Just don’t try and put them in a set of Juicies.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Brake pads – OEM vs cheapies’ is closed to new replies.