Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • brain making the heart beat or heart making the brain beat ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Whilst out for a walk today on the Suffolk coast ( -6 with the wind factor) I had this thought !

So which is it ?

Or shall I just get my coat !

Drac

Heart beats itself but obviously it can’t operate without the brain, the brain doesn’t beat but yes it needs a lot of O2 which the heart supplies.

Oh and the brain can tell the heart to work faster if needed.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I was being metaphoric about the brain having a beat…

heart can’t tell the brain to work faster…(if it did i may have married someone else !)

jamj1974

Don’t the av nodes stimulate the heart to beat separate of the CNS?

PJay
    Free Member

Saw an interesting programme on the TV a while back describing a large group of neurons in the heat (which some called “The small brain of the heart”) and associated research suggesting that the heart could make decisions (that might not be exactly the right term) independantly of the brain

http://madurasinghe.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/neurocardiology-brain-in-heart.html

wallop

My brain only beats when I’m hungover.

lazybike
    Free Member

Does the mind play apart?

legolam
    Free Member

The latter (heart makes the brain work). 🙂

Cardiac myocytes (muscle cells) in the sinoatrial (SA) node display automaticity ie they are capable of firing off electrical signals to commence a heartbeat without any external stimulus.

Therefore, the heart can work without a brain, but the brain cannot survive without the heart sending it blood.

Here comes the science bit…

jonahtonto
    Free Member

pjay was that the one about people who had heart transplants taking on characteristics/personality traits from the donor?
    the documentary i saw about this was really mental, it showed handwrinting changes that matched the donor and stuff like that 😯

Drac

Therefore, the heart can work without a brain, but the brain cannot survive without the heart sending it blood.

Good luck with that.

Drac

Yeah it will for a bit same as you brain will have some activity for awhile after your heart stops but they need each other to maintain for any length of time. Like I said in my original post yes it beats itself but needs the brain to say how fast. Without the brain it runs in tick over mode but can’t keep that up forever.

qwerty
    Free Member

Automatistic innit, according to ancient ritual sacrifice da heart can beat all on its own… but not for long.

PJay
    Free Member

@ Jonah, no I don’t recall that so I suspect that it was a different documentary but if did touch on the idea that language tends to attribute emotion to the heart (heart break, heartfelt etc.).

Sandwich

Doesnt the brain stem do the control for that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘brain making the heart beat or heart making the brain beat ?’ is closed to new replies.