• This topic has 84 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Bradley Wiggins vs. Piers Morgan
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

If you don’t want to join in don’t, but why say you represent the country? Go and play a game in your own name.

charliemort

yup – Brit anthem

“God save our gracious dirge dirge dirge…………”

French:

“Arise children of the fatherland,
    the day of glory has arrived,
    against us tyranny’s
    blooody standard is raised” etc etc

I know which one I’d sing along to

mikeconnor
    Free Member

If you don’t want to join in don’t, but why say you represent the country?

Our national anthem is not about our nation, but about someone with ‘diving right’ to rule over us.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you don’t want to join in don’t, but why say you represent the country? Go and play a game in your own name.

The country and royal family are not the same thing though.

Lots of people feel we’d be better off without them.

FuzzyWuzzy

And they’re German :p

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What if you didn’t want that stupid song played to mark your achievement? Would you have a choice?

But what in it’s place?

Jerusalem’s a bit to religious?
    Land of hope and glory? (no one knows the words so fits the bill perfectly)
    Rule brittania (any less royalistic than the incumbent?)
    Something new? Inevitably it’d be given to Loyd Webber or Garry Barlow, made into a tallent show, and be shit.

chutney13
    Free Member

polite words fail me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

These guys were hailed as heroes for their actions:

not at the time they were sent home in disagrace and iirc never competed again

Even the white guy [ australian iirc] was banned for 2 years for failing to condem them and he offered to do the saulte with them on the podium.
    No doubt history has , rightly seen them as heroes standing up tp tyranny.
    Was an interesting show on this on either 5 live or radio 4.

Our national anthem is not about our nation, but about someone with ‘diving right’ to rule over us.

this I dont beleieve in god and I dont belive in royalty why would i be expected to sing this? It’s really crap just as a tune as well , very dour tbh.

Bit too english centric but I can see why you picked it 🙄 and 😉

ell_tell
    Free Member

Personally I like the Italian National Anthem. It’s quite a jaunty little number 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

But what in it’s place?

Agadoo?

Lifer
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member

not at the time they were sent home in disagrace and iirc never competed again
    Even the white guy [ australian iirc] was banned for 2 years for failing to condem them and he offered to do the saulte with them on the podium.

Peter Norman wore a human right’s badge in solidarity with them and it was his idea for Carlos to wear Smith’s left hand glove.

As for a new national anthem somthing based on:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq9OpJYck7Y[/video]

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bit too english centric but I can see why you picked it

By the time we get arround to sorting it Scotlandshire will be just another small bankrupt nation in the Arc of Propertity.

Hasn’t charles already said he doesn’t want to be head of the CofE (change of title to defender of the faiths rather than faith) and doesn’t want god save the king?

rewski
    Free Member

Those black panther dudes remind me of…

chakaping
    Free Member

The Pistols have already recorded a perfectly good alternative.

Northwind

“black panther dudes”, ffs :mrgreen:

zippykona

I love our anthem. Sing along or look hard,I don’t mind.

justatheory
    Free Member

A song requesting a supernatural deity I don’t believe in, to save a person in a position I don’t agree with…no thanks. For the record I’m proud to be British and love my country.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I bet Morgan doesn’t actually give a toss about whether athletes sing the national anthem or not. He’s more concerned with scoring points with swivel-eyed Daily Mail readers.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

God save our gracious Queen.
    Long live our duh duh Queen.
    Duh duh derrr Queen

Du da dur derrrda
    Derr dur da duuuur dah derr.
    Dum dee dumm derr dah derrrr

I quite like it truth be told.

GrahamS

I don’t go along with that scottish bints arguements that she is Scottish not British. After all she is representing GB

Erm… actually she is representing the UK surely?

Or more accurately, “Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Crown dependencies and British Overseas Territories not represented by their own National Olympic Committee.”

Northwind

mattsccm – Member

I don’t go along with that scottish bints arguements that she is Scottish not British.

You sure?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or more accurately, “Great Britain, Northern Ireland, Crown dependencies and British Overseas Territories not represented by their own National Olympic Committee.”

Much as I don’t like pedantry, why is it “Team GB” not “Team UK”, all the number boards etc are GBR, but include athletes from NI?

GrahamS

Much as I don’t like pedantry, why is it “Team GB” not “Team UK”

A question many have asked.

Some explanation here from 2009:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rogermosey/2009/09/why_team_gb.html

grum
    Free Member

But what in it’s place?

As an entirely non-religious person I quite like Jerusalem, but you’d have to change England to Britain and that might be a bit clunky. Our anthem is awful though – nothing celebrating our country or it’s achievements, just a dirge asking God (who only half the population believe in) to protect the queen (when significant numbers don’t support the monarchy, especially in Scotland).

It’s also a lame entrenching of the idea that the royal family are somehow special and vastly superior to us plebs, purely by dint of their ancestry – this is an idea that should have died out centuries ago and is frankly embarrassing in the modern world. I cringe every time I hear it and most of the athletes don’t seem too keen either.

I wish The Marsellaise was our anthem (and that we were a republic for that matter).

Northwind

thisisnotaspoon – Member

But what in it’s place?

Empty Cans, by the Streets.

nicko74

I always feel sorry for the white guy, having to stand there like a lemon. I think I would’ve raised my hand as well, just to join in…

French:

“Arise children of the fatherland,
    the day of glory has arrived,
    against us tyranny’s
    blooody standard is raised” etc etc
    Shame that they never even listen to their national anthem then, given their generally poor record in rising against tyranny, having days of glory, making sure that tyranny’s standard is raised AGAINST rather than FOR them, and so on…

Anyway, can we please get back to calling Morgan a pillock?

Digger90
    Free Member

From the comments it seems that it may surprise some folks on here that there is such a thing as someone who is proud of Britain, proud to be British, but who is not a Monarchist.

I love my country.

I do not believe in nor do I support monarchy.

I’d proudly represent Great Britain if only I had the talent.. and if I won a medal no, I would not sing a song in praise of the Queen.

Each to his own – which Piers Morgan’s puerile tweet fails to recognise.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just bought one pair of gloves between them though.

Surely that shows some kind of lack of commitment 😀 😉

Lifer
    Free Member

nicko74 – Member

I always feel sorry for the white guy, having to stand there like a lemon. I think I would’ve raised my hand as well, just to join in…

They discussed it beforehand and that’s what they all thought was best, he was wearing the same human rights badge as the Americans in support of them so he was ‘joining in’.

He was heavily criticised for standing there like a lemon rather than stopping them do it.

Lifer
    Free Member

Just bought one pair of gloves between them though.

Surely that shows some kind of lack of commitment

Carlos left his in the accommodation.

Lifer
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D35uvpN3IKk[/video]

philfive
    Free Member

Well he hasn’t replied to me lol

tomhoward

IMO the words to our national anthem are irrelevant. I’m a devout atheist (admittedly I enjoy having the monarchy, despite them being merely ceremonial. And German/Greek) but whenever God save the queen comes on, it fills me with pride and I sing along, not because of the man on a cloud looking after a German grandmother, but because it’s British, it’s ours, it’s the tune we play when we are proud of what we have/one of ours has achieved. Do you feel the same way when the star spangled banner, advance australia fayre or deutschland uber alles plays? No, because that’s not ours, it’s someone elses ‘proud’ song. If people don’t want to sing/don’t like the anthem, fine. But you are missing out!

And to that m****n tool, do us all a favour, take one for the team, shoot yourself between the eyes. If you loved the monarch and her country so much, at least have the decency to live here.

Lifer
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member
    If people don’t want to sing/don’t like the anthem, fine. But you are missing out!

Oh am I, oh noes!

Purleeeese. 🙄

enfht
    Free Member

I assume all non-singers will refuse/not be offered any royal honours?

Lifer
    Free Member

Brilliant.

bloodynora
    Free Member

@ tomhoward, well said sir

MSP

I assume all non-singers will refuse/not be offered any royal honours?

Absolutely, and lets face it, they are mainly used for rewarding the already successful, the famous and senior civil servants who wear the right school tie, with a few given out for actual deserving cases to put a veneer on the system.

scuttler

Celebs are just annoyed as the attention has justifiably turned to those with some talent and commitment. Maybe just maybe Morgan and his type have been found out. Probably not though when the euphoria dies down…

Junkyard
    Free Member

tom I could never feel like you because the song of pride fills me with mleh
    Perhaps if it was about the country, the people or something i felt i belonged to or felt a part of i would but that song will never do it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Bradley Wiggins vs. Piers Morgan’ is closed to new replies.