Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bottom brackets and singlespeeding.
  • Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Am I right in assuming that singlespeeding is particularly harsh on bottom brackets? My not-particularly-old Shimano BB is making a right fuss when I stand up in the pedals.

Any particular recommendations for a HT2 style BB? Is there such a thing as a 'strong' one for the stresses of singlespeeding?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Am I right in assuming that singlespeeding is particularly harsh on bottom brackets?

not sure about that? mine seem to last about the same amount of time.

Any particular recommendations for a HT2 style BB?

i think they are all equally rubbish! stainless ones last a bit longer.

Junkyard
    Free Member

as above all rubbish I ise square taper on mine and get many more miles, with less maintenance, than from the HT2 BB.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Track bikes used conventional bottom brackets with a square taper crank interface for decades, if you think you can put out more power than Mercx, Coppi, Indurain et al then maybe you need something stiffer?

epicyclo

I doubt he is using a BB of the standard used by Merkx et al.

Cheap square taper BBs can vary from good to cr*p. Good ones are usually good.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Pray tell, what extra destructive mechanism SS has over regular pedalling?

bassspine
    Free Member

No. It's no more onerous than any other large bloke stood on the pedals gurning up a hill in my personal experience.

Put it this way: I run an ISIS BB on my singlespeed. If that isn't proof…

oxym0r0n

Square Taper used here too – get loads of life out of them 🙂

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I was just thinking in terms of climbing, you've got no choice but to stand up and mash away all the time so there's some big forces going through the BB, but if you've got the option of a nice spinny gear then there's no need to apply such forces and you can just spin away.
    I guess any BB takes the same forces from drops and stuff though.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Up to now I’ve run sq taper BB on my singlespeed, but I’ve always had problems with the non drive side crank coming loose, best I’ve managed is about 3* 2hr rides before it loosens and on occasions it come loose within the first 10 min (usually on the first big climb) – I’ve gone through 3 BB and now my middleburn S7 cranks have rounded off
    Currently running old Hollowtec cranks and octalink BB off my Sub5 – so far no problems (although I think the chain ring is made from cheese so taking it steady, as I don’t fancy stripping the teeth of it – especially in out the saddle climbing god mode)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bottom brackets and singlespeeding.’ is closed to new replies.