Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Easiest gear changers for a 10 year old ?
  • MrGoriff
    Free Member

I've built my 10 year old a 14" 456 and have used the LX combi brake/gear shifters I had lying around. He's finding it hard to change up at the front, the rear is fine. I expect his hands are too small and weak. What would be a better choice of shifter for him ?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Gripshift worked for me as a youngun…

sofatester
    Free Member

1×9? Or is your Son spinning out the 44×11? 😯

MrGoriff
    Free Member

44×11, but only uses the inner two chainrings.

Big-M
    Free Member

Gripshift all the way for kids, far easier to use. Or 1×9 as it's already been said.

Jerome
    Free Member

one by nine all the way and some hand exercisers

sofatester
    Free Member

Set up a single 32 ring on the front and a 11-34 block on the back.

Stop him learning bad habbits early in life – Dropping onto the granny is a VERY bad habbit 😉

Job done.

MrGoriff
    Free Member

I've got some gripshifts hiding somewhere and old XT brakes, so will give them a try at the weekend, and if that's still too hard will go to 1×9 till he's bigger.

Thanks all.

br
    Free Member

Twist is better, but practice helps.

My son moved from SRAM twist to Shimano triggers at 10, only now and again has he a problem shifting up – but thats more linked to his (lack of) technique.

Once he realises that the big cog at the front is for speed, you'll be fine.

wheelz
    Free Member

I took the grip shifts off both my kid's bikes because they were struggling with them. They both use trigger shifters now with no problems at all (age 8 and 10).

lister

We have a fleet of bikes at work and the smaller bikes have Gripshift, the bigger ones have SRAM button shifters.

The little kids can't change gear on the little bikes, Gripshift and little hands is rubbish IME. I've tried every combination of lubes, clean, new cables etc to no avail.

Buttons of any make/type all the way for kids of that age.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Easiest gear changers for a 10 year old ?’ is closed to new replies.