• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by P20.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bottle boss turning
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Tried to remove the cage from a carbon road frame and the boss started turning with it right away.

Any ideas on how to move it.

Wanted to remove it to clean underneath and to remove the pump bracket.

The other three bolts came out without issue. (2 x cages)

wwaswas

dremel the cage away from the bolt and you might be able to get something to hold the captive nut in place once you have better access?

play
    Free Member

I had this problem, tried everything to get it out and just damaged my frame. The LBS finally fixed it for me.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

You can get a tool to tighten them, which your LBS may well have, but it is reliant on being able to get the bolt out, which I’m not sure how you’d best manage.

wwaswas

is it on the seat or down tube?

if it was on seat tube you can get access from rear to help so I guess it’ll be one of the downtube ones…

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep downtube

schmiken

I had the same problem, in the end just cut it out and put a new one in. I’ve got the tool you can borrow for costs of postage.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thankyou.
    Was yours a carbon frame? I wonder if it’s any coincidence that it’s the one by the mouth of the bottle.

jedi

Its like a rivet tool to crimp them back up. Simples

schmiken

It was an alumni frame, and one of the downtube ones.

iridebikes
    Free Member

there is a guy in high wycombe who also has the tool to install new ones, funnily enough i was talking to him about it last night

P20

Is it possible to jam a screwdriver against the boss and the cage? Ie use the cage to hold the boss and get it out that way? Once out, a decent lbs should be able to tighten it

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bottle boss turning’ is closed to new replies.