Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bonty XR4 2012…anyone tried em
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

Im a lover of the previous MK1 XR4 tyres. Fast rolling, bit weighty they are a little slippy on roots and wet rock but generally good. Ive seen the new version on the bontrager webstite and am tempted. Can anyone help me decide as advantages are also in consideration.

If youve tried em do you know if the folding version is less weighty that the wire bead?

sillyoldman

I liked the old one – until it got wet here back in May… Like you say – horrible on wet rock and roots which we’ve got quite a lot of.

New one is the best all rounder I’ve ever used. Seems just as fast, but better in loose corners, better at braking, better on wet rocks and roots as well as being surprisingly good in gloppy mud.

Only downside cf old version is that the volume is reduced.

Don’t know the weight, but it rides lighter than the old version.

Mine are all 29″ tyres, but the comparison should stand for 26″ too I’d have thought?

KevinPP
    Free Member

Fitted them recently to replace my old Jones ACX. The new XR4 is probably the best all round winter tyre I have ever used. Can’t fault it. Can’t tell you on the weight though.

rickon
    Free Member

They come with a 30 day unconditional guarantee, so get them and if you dont like them – return them within 30 days, whatever shape they’re in 🙂

I’ve got a set on order.

julioflo
    Free Member

sillyoldman indicated that the new 2012 XR4’s have reduced volume. This is good for me, as I need to replace the 2.25 maxxis advantage that is currently clogging up my Reba’s arch…. Old XR4 would have had same limited clearance issues.
    Can anyone quantify how large the new XR4 is? Or comparisons to other tyres [as we all know tyre size speccing is never correct]

snakebite
    Free Member

I have a new one on the front and an old on the back, no difference in size on the 2.35’s. got the new ones on my BFe, lads and wifes bike, good all round tyres.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I had an XR3 and I always wanted to put the engine and transmission from the XR4x4 in it you know the 2.9 version. Now that would have been fast.

Alternatively these look like a brilliant price, I have been thinking about some for myself.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119505.html

I_Ache
    Free Member

snakebite [stalking] they look massive on the pic of your BFe[/stalking] is there much room at the back? Any pics that show how much room there is in the frame?

nicko74

question – what’s the difference between the XR4 and XR3? And no car jokes please, it wasn’t funny the first or second time…

Scamper
    Free Member

XR4 provides all the grip i’m ever likely to need.

Anyone tried the XR3, which i presume is new? Seems a fair bit lighter.

scruff
    Free Member

XR3’s are jey tyres. New and old XR4 no difference volume wise.

chiefgrooveguru

Maybe they’ve just downsized the 2.2 so instead of having a huge size and a hugerer size they’ve now got a big size and then a mahoosive one? Running slightly lower pressures seems to really help the old one in the wet.

Scamper
    Free Member

Anything more than 28psi, and i found the front to get a bit fidgety. Which does not sound right.

julioflo
    Free Member

So more specifically, is the new XR4 2.2 smaller than the old 2.2
    [although I am tiring of this now] I may just go to the LBS and actually LOOK for myself in the real world…

Bimbler
    Free Member

So XR4’s are the “new” ACX?

rickon
    Free Member

Just to add to this, I receive my 2.2 XR4’s last week, the new 2012 ones.

Tubeless’d them last night, popped on the rims easily and went up with a track pump with little effort.

They’re a normal 2.2 tyre, smaller than a Schwalbe 2.25, similar volume – but less rounded edges.

They feel pretty solid, but not that heavy, and the rubber feels sticky.

chiefgrooveguru

They’re a normal 2.2 tyre, smaller than a Schwalbe 2.25, similar volume – but less rounded edges.

Could you check what they actually measure in mm (width inc blocks and width of carcass)? And state the pressure and rim width at that. (I should ask the magazines to do the same when talking about tyres being big or small or normal for a whatever…) Thanks!

rickon
    Free Member

Yep can do, rim is a crest so 21mm internal, or 24.4mm external, pressure is at 35psi.

Have to grab some calipers to measure the width accurately.

solman
    Free Member

I’ve got XR4 on the front and XR3 on the rear for winter. Can’t use XR4 as it rubs against chainstay (Trek EX9). Both are team issue and tubeless.

Really good balance of speed and grip.

rickon
    Free Member

I think the new 2012 XR4s are smaller diameter, based on the reviews for the previous XR4 – as they fit fine on a SID and the rear of a Spark.

chiefgrooveguru

Do we have some numbers Mr Rickon?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ive got a 2011 XR4 and an 2012 XR4..

The newest incarnations are a lot smaller, with a far less “agressive” tread pattern..

I did have a 2.35″ on the front of my Cove, but, there where huge issuses with a tyre/Reba interface.

Now running 2.2s front and back.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bonty XR4 2012…anyone tried em’ is closed to new replies.