Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bonty rim rant
  • chubby_monk
    Free Member

I can’t ride my Trek today because I can’t get my tyres back on the wheels! Stupid Bonty rims.

I can do the tyres on my other bike without any tools, but struggle so much with these ones. Tried washing up liquid, heating the tyre with a hair dryer and have even bent a steel tyre lever.

Good enough reason to buy a new bike – probably not, but I think I’ll be getting a new set of wheels from my lbs when it opens again after Easter.

Stupid Bonty rims

valleydaddy
    Free Member

haha they are a beach aren’t they!!! 😐

There are 3 of us in our local chain gang who have Bonty rims one lad carries a pot of WUL wih him when out to help. 😯

Have you used loads of WUL on the rim and tyre bead???

Once on I find I have to inflate to 75+ PSI to get the beads to crack back on to stop a wobbly tyre.

Such is the pain in the ass these are I run tubeless and don’t change tyres to often 😉

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Yeah tried WUL.

I did exactly the same with the tubeless (I swear my wife nearly left me whilst I was cursing whilst doing that) but I hadn’t topped up/replaced liquid for a while – not sure how often you have to – but can’t get the buggers back on now. Annoying thing was the liquid looked ok.

coatesy
    Free Member

Technique is the key, working for a Trek dealer, I get to deal with these regularly, and very rarely need a tyre lever.If fitting the tyre, then start opposite the valve(this allows the tyre to drop further into the well of the rim than the valve will allow), push the bead as deep into the well as you can, and work it around in both directions at the same time. You may need to push it into the well a couple of times during the process, but you’ll usually get it on without too much trouble, only needing a lever for the last couple of inches, if at all.

Northwind

I never had too much trouble getting them on (good to have a very thin lever, like the lezyne ones) but getting them back off, my god, I thought I was going to break my thumbs off.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

coatesy – I think I love you! A bit of advice that’s opposite to everything I’ve been told before and it works. Everyone has always said to me start at the valve because there’s more slack away from it, but first attempt going in the other way and it’s fine.

Thanks – you’ve made my day!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers coatesy I’ll try that next time I change a tyre – top tip

aracer
    Free Member

start opposite the valve(this allows the tyre to drop further into the well of the rim than the valve will allow)

Exactly what I always do (and the advice I normally give on such threads) – as c_m mentions, it’s opposite to what everybody else usually suggests, so nice to see I’m not alone.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Mind its not always the Bonty rims thats the problem,some bonty tyres are very tight.XR3 front was abit of a bugger in the FOD the other week.Other tyres sail on them,strange.

Goz
    Free Member

Since my cycling life began ive allways started oppisite the valve…..how else would you do it…..never use tyre levers.

Blackhound

I found Bonty difficult to fit. Taking off in next week or so and not looking forward to it. I have Bonty tyres as well ans briefly ran them with Bonty tubes until going tubeless.

Will try coatsey’s method in next time

coatesy
    Free Member

Different for taking them off, break the bead away from the rim all the way round, push the bead into the well opposite the valve, and work both sides into the well all the way round to create enough slack at the valve to usually be able to pull it off without levers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bonty rim rant’ is closed to new replies.