Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bonty Mud X – OK for Welsh trail centre's…?
  • Kryton57

I wore out a pair of Rampages (my fave Wales tyre to date), and only have Nobby Nics left – they’ll be dead in an hour.

So are the Bonty’s OK to stay on or are they not good, and almost inevatebly then, what else is good….?

hugor
    Free Member

They’ll be fine but overkill if anything. Welsh trail centres are well armoured and most tyres will work well.

weeksy

Bontys Mud X’s are truely very very good tyres for muddy conditions.

stumpy01

I was at CyB last weekend riding with a mate who had Mud X’s on his E120. He didn’t fall off or die, so I suspect you will be OK.

They might wear a bit quick on the hard rock. Just don’t run them at too low pressure or you might get pinch flats….

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Nah, they’ll take one look at the hard pack welsh trial centre surface and explode, killing you and any wildlife instantly.

Taff
    Free Member

They’re good at Brechfa

Kryton57

I’m familiar with the trails. I’m ok for the Bonty’s to wear as replacing them later isn’t expensive (as tyres go) and they are great local tyres so they’ll get lots of use.

Just that with the aforementioned tyre prices, I don’t want to fork out £80 for one to three weekends of riding a year if I can help it.

clubber
    Free Member

Mud Xs are fantastic tyres in mud and much better at everything else than they really should be BUT they’re relatively skinny and not as good as a more specific tyre for trail centre type riding. If I was just or mainly riding trail centres, I wouldn’t be on a Mud X if choosing though it will be fine and for what you’re saying it would be acceptable though TBH I’d just buy some second hand part worn tyres and use them when in wales.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I rode Cyflym Coch at CYB (the Fox) on my MudXs in the bone dry in March and I then rode the Beast on Rampage SCs the next day. I didn’t die! They were fine, despite the trail being bone dry!

I simply got there late after a 5 hour drive and couldn’t be arsed to change that afternoon. So did it before breakfast the next day.

Kryton57

clubber – Member
    Mud Xs are fantastic tyres in mud and much better at everything else than they really should be BUT they’re relatively skinny and not as good as a more specific tyre for trail centre type riding. If I was just or mainly riding trail centres, I wouldn’t be on a Mud X if choosing though it will be fine and for what you’re saying it would be acceptable though TBH I’d just buy some second hand part worn tyres and use them when in wales.

Any recommedations, bearing in mind I last rode Rampages SC’s, and am not a “leaner” so need a tyre with little or no transition to the edge….

clubber
    Free Member

One man’s meat… I like Conti Verts and Maxxis Ignitors but loads of people hate them. I don’t think they’re massively grippy but they drift very controllably rather than gripping lots then breaking suddendly. YMMV…

Twodogs

only have Nobby Nics left – they’ll be dead in an hour

don’t understand…I run a Nobby Nics on my bike and go to “Welsh Trail Centres” regularly and don’t have to replace my tyres every hour?

clubber
    Free Member

They’re being put down in one hour. It’s the humane thing to do with them 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

my NNs seem to do the business at various Welsh and… gasp… even Scottish centres! 😯

Kryton57

Are your NN’s the standard sidewall though? Mine are, and I have images of tearing it on Friday, ruining my whole weekend…

theflatboy
    Free Member

yep, but i’ve never had issues with their sidewalls, personally. i probably run them relatively hard, if that has anything to do with it… 😕

emac65
    Free Member

I like Bonty’s XR4 2.2 on the front & an XR2 2.1 out the back.The 4’s a nice big volume tyre with loads of grip & the 2 rolls well with decent grip too…

Nick

I have torn a NN but in all probability it will be fine, but why not take a spare tyre, e.g. a Mud-x as well?

Mud Xs are just like 2.0 versions of the classic ACX, which I thought was a fantastic all round tyre, shame you can’t get them anymore.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Bonty Mud X at Afan quite a few times and I didn’t die much, so you’ll be fine.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

There IS NO MUD at Afan 😕 !!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bonty Mud X – OK for Welsh trail centre's…?’ is closed to new replies.