Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Bonking
  • wors

I do regular 70 miles on the road bike no problem. On my commute home tonight after 5 miles I bonked big style, could barely turn the pedals. Why??

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I bonk all the time, infact I should be a professional bonker getting paid for it.

ton

fnarr fnarr…………. 😀

kcr
    Free Member

You just weren’t fuelled up. It doesn’t matter if you do 5 miles or 70. If the tank runs dry you will bonk.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely if you bonk enough the tanks will run dry?

😕

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can easily bonk on the commute, just fuelling, easy to run out after lunch.

lucien

Even the best bonk!

Nonsense
    Free Member

You need to learn to embrace bonking. Or practice tantric bonking … like Sting

Chadders
    Free Member

lack of carbs?

wallop

I always get shaky on the ride home from work (7 miles). End up wanting to scoff the contents of the fridge when I get back 😥

Mugboo

Love it 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Do you have a 2nd lunch? Works for me.

diablocableguy

Make sure you get some decent food down ya’ a half hour before you go. Porridge is my fuel of choice. 😀

HermanShake
    Free Member

Your muscles may well have run out of a safe level of glycogen, the bonk was your body trying to prevent damage. Fuel up before hand and after to compensate. It’s not enough to simply eat a normal amount of food after large exertion, you need to replenish your muscle’s stores of energy.

You probably know about hydration and electrolytes, but it’s worth remembering that even a familiar level of exercise can put a strain on the body if these finite resources dwindle.

qwerty
    Free Member

, the bonk was your body trying to prevent damage.

Shirly its your body switching energy systems and fuels from carbs and fats to proteins (can’t utilise fat without carbs) so the protein of choice is muscle, producing ketones, no? No protection there.

theotherjonv

As others above have said – nothing to do with time, it’s energy / energy systems. Matt Hart wrote something about it in a recent issue.

[edit – Not Matt Hart; Dr Jon. Issue 72]

rewski
    Free Member

I’m with you bro, I nearly rode into a Macdonalds Drive In, started hallucinating pints of ice cold lager, odd because I drink craft ale normally.

ahwiles
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

it’s all about second-breakfast.

and ellevenses.

and pre-lunch.

i’m a bit full after lunch, so usually skip second lunch.

and then afternoon tea (cake)

and a banana at 3:30.

it’s important to be well fueled-up…

lowey

Pack emergency jelly babies in your panniers mate.

oh and HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA, wish I had seen that!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I do regular 70 miles on the road bike no problem. On my commute home tonight after 5 miles I bonked big style, could barely turn the pedals. Why??

Happened to me on a commute a few years ago. Middle of winter, howling gale, pouring rain, ridden 14 miles fine, then major bonk 6 miles from home in the middle of the moor in the dark.

Lost the plot, couldn’t see very well, barely knew where I was. Took forever to get home. The man with the hammer hiy hard that night.

Always carry an emergency chocolate bar now in my seat pack.

Got home, ate a mars bar, ate my dinner, went to sleep.

Works for me too, lunch around 12:30 about 500 calories, 2nd lunch around 3pm approx 250 calories.

Gary_M
    Free Member

it’s all about second-breakfast.
    and ellevenses.
    and pre-lunch.
    i’m a bit full after lunch, so usually skip second lunch.
    and then afternoon tea (cake)
    and a banana at 3:30.
    it’s important to be well fueled-up…

How many miles do you ride on your commute to need all that amount. I ride 20 miles each way, cup of black coffee before I leave, roll or bagel with ham when I get in then lunch (pasta/rice/beans/fish), another bagel around 3pm, some nuts/rice cakes and that fuels me for 20 miles home.

ourmaninthenorth

How many miles do you ride on your commute to need all that amount.

I suspect it was a joke.

Gary_M
    Free Member

oh right!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Shirly its your body switching energy systems and fuels from carbs and fats to proteins (can’t utilise fat without carbs) so the protein of choice is muscle, producing ketones, no? No protection there.

We’re saying similar things. What would happen if your body didn’t change energy sources? Damage or failure. Glycogen is the preferred option, the other systems are back up which take longer to process at lower power outputs. I think it’s your body giving you a firm talking to and saying:

“Really? You want to carry on?!….. OK, if you insist but it’s gonna cost you.”

In answer to the original question, OP you ran out of your body’s favoured energy. Keep your carbs up in advance, maintain energy during long exertion and then refill your supplies afterwards. This has to be more than your RDA otherwise you’re constantly overdrawn. Naturally, this needs to be done with some balance of the food groups and with attention to the 3 main levels of glycaemic index; high, medium and low.

This can’t be fixed with an extra bowl of white pasta before and after a ride!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Bonking’ is closed to new replies.