Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bongo/ Jap vans vs T4 etc etc
  • vinnyeh

With no work around at the moment we’re thinking of picking up a Mazda Bongo or similar and buggering off to Europe for a few weeks- does anybody have any experience of these, and the pluses/minuses compared to a T4 or similar. It’s got to deal with two adults and a 2 and 3 year old, and we don’t really want to spend more than 5k. We’re not too concerned about having full onboard cooking facilities- really want something that’ll carry our gear and give us beds for the night, with the ability to hang a tent/awning off the side.
    Any comments or other recommendations?

VanHalen

bongos are expensive to fix and go wrong and are quite small. i’d steer clear.

VWT4’s hold their price for a reason. but getting one kitted out with an elevated roof for 5k is going to be tough. see vwt4forum though as you might be lucky as cash is short at the moment.

if you are just going for a short term buy consider a vito? it wont have time to rot on you for a few summer months.

if you are really un posh consider a transit?

be warned that some sites wont let you on unless the vehicle has got windows and looks like a camper. it scuppered me as i didnt have time to fit my windows before heading off despite having a bed/cooker conversion in the van.

a11y

be warned that some sites wont let you on unless the vehicle has got windows and looks like a camper. it scuppered me as i didnt have time to fit my windows before heading off despite having a bed/cooker conversion in the van.

That’s my concern this summer (VWT5 only window being in the tailgate, inside DIY bedded for the moment). We’ve bought a proper driveaway awning though and have the bike rack on the back of the “van” to make it look less like the van that it is…

Is this a big problem in France/Germany/Belgium?

Sam

Did a trip for a few weeks last summer in a lightly camperised transit with no windows. No issues with getting into any campsites. If the campsite is that up themselves they don’t want vans there I’d say it’s not the kind of place I want to stay anyhow…

blutac
    Free Member

Hi

i have a Bongo, had it 12 months and nothing has gone wrong. all i’ve done to it is change the oil and put a stereo in, oh and central locking.

i think they are great, loads of space for kit and still plenty of seats. i think you would be wise getting the awning tho then its not as much hassle when you want to pack up for day trips.

we just use cheap thermorest type things to put over the seats and up in the roof to sleep on.

the main thing that everybody says goes wrong is the water works, if your pipes are good and there are no leaks then there are no problems with cracking heads. lots of people on bongofury.co.uk to ask for help if you get stuck and loads of information to printout and use if you become a member. have a look at the site !!

cheers dave

vinnyeh

We’re not able to go down the full ‘van with the mattress in the back’ route because we’ve got two small kids, otherwise that’s what we would have done for sure. By the same token, we also need proper seats/belts in the back to ensure there’s no issue with the kids’ car seats

VanHalen

That’s my concern this summer (VWT5 only window being in the tailgate, inside DIY bedded for the moment). We’ve bought a proper driveaway awning though and have the bike rack on the back of the “van” to make it look less like the van that it is…

Is this a big problem in France/Germany/Belgium?

its not a big problem but its something to be aware of. as sam said i prefer less strict campsites but sometimes you cant choose. also sometimes wifey prefers a posh shower and a clean pan…

3dbiker
    Free Member

Hi Vinnyeh
    I have a Nissan Largo for Sale which I believe is better than a Bongo (I drove one for 4 months). It has much more versatile seating, rear seats fold flat and fasten to the side allowing loads of room for 4 bikes and 4 people. The middle seat swivels, face forward or back or sideways for PikNik! More economical, twin remote controlled climate control systems – full length glass sunroof. The vehicle is in good condition, recent service tax Mot’d and even a tow bracket. spares no problem, there is a good Largo club. It is an MPV so not converted, but you can buy seperate sink cooker units and sell them on later? One on ebay £17 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SINK-AND-COOKER-UNIT-COMBI-CAMPERVAN-CARAVAN-VW-ETC-SS_W0QQitemZ370194388577QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090429?IMSfp=TL0904291210001r9854
    Heres the link to the ad, give me a call and I’ll tell you all about it!
    http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/iad/motors/cars-for-sale/nissan/largo/object/?emcode=11267484&sid=xz3cbaPa0q3481004

marmottefarcie
    Free Member

I agree with blutac.
    I’ve had two Bongos (turbo diesels) and have just sold my brother’s V6 one as he’s emigrated to Canada.
    Combined, my brother and I have done about 45,000 miles in Bongos without incident.
    The only issue with them is overheating if the cooling system is worked on by someone who doesn’t follow the bleeding procedure.
    Lots of info on Bongofury website and lots of mechanics who have experience of them.
    In contrast I used to run an old VW combi. Spent most of my time underneath it trying to get the starter to work. Only upside was that the compression was so low you could bump start it solo on the level.
    Find a good, well looked after Bongo that hasn’t been “prepared” by a numpty and it will give years of reliable service.

mikertroid
    Free Member

bongos are expensive to fix and go wrong and are quite small. i’d steer clear.

Wrong!

They’re incredibly straightforward and reliable, being based on a Mazda/Ford pickup chassis and uses a very common Ford Diesel. Our was thirsty (21mpg) partly due to it being an Auto and 4×4.

I’ve had VW T25 (old Bilbo conversion), 2 x VW T4s (we got Leisuredrive to convert both) a Bongo and currently a VW T5 Kombi.

You can easily get a VW T4 in good nick for £4K. I would try and get the 2.5 TDi as it’s a better engine (reliability/power etc). A folding roof won’t cost much more that £1K off the top of my head. We used ‘Leisuredrive’ in Salford who were great.

Beds etc you can DIY if on a tight budget.

T4: look out for rust on the A pillar welds.

Enjoy! 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

What about the Mitsubishi Delicas? Same sort of vibe but know even less of Mitsubishi build quality than of Mazda Bongos.

stevemorg2

We,ve had a T4 Westfalia for 3 yars and am in the middle of getting a T5 converted at the moment.
    You should be able to get an OK T4 within budget, fit a rock and roll bed (the one made by Cannons Forge is very good) but the elevating roof (£2k ish with roof bed) will blow the budget. On the VWT4 forum there is a guy who makes cab bunks that fit across the front seats when you park up for @£70 – 2 adults on the rock and roll bed, little one on the cab bunk and a living/cooking area in the awning and you’re away.

THe 2.5 TDi is nice but I’don’t think you’ll get that in your budget – our Westy had the 2.4 diesel lump, a bit noisy and crude but reliable and it would sit at 80 all day heading down to the Alps.

We looked at Bongos etc and saw some really nice ones – the VW may be a bit more expensive to buy but I think you’ll get more back when you sell it.

stevemorg2

sorry – just reread the OP – two kids not one.

A full width rock and roll bed will easily sleep 2 adults and one toddler – with a cab bunk you can still sleep 4 in the van – have a look on vwt4forum.co.uk for vans for sales and for some useful advice

hora
    Free Member

I bought my VWT4 back in 2004. It had only done 170,000,000miles with the AA. From forums people told me that as those are motorway miles those tend to be kinder on the vehicle and they only tow four of 5 different cars every day in their working life. Of course T4’s werent designed as a towing vehicle, they were designed carry.
    consumables? Ive only had to replace the gearbox, mass fly wheel and clutch. Bargain and I always receive knowing nods and envious glances at events/trail heads from other lifestyle riders and jealous Toyota Hiace drivers. After all, why buy something reliable with lower mileage that hasnt been used as a roadwhore when you can have tired coolcalifornicationvan thats trying to be cool like the splitscreen vans of old?

spooky_b329

It had only done 170,000,000miles with the AA

Ive only had to replace the gearbox, mass fly wheel and clutch.

Must be a record, 170 million miles 😉

hora
    Free Member

Well its seems to be some flip-side badge of honour with AA van owners

vinnyeh

Thanks for all the comments. Hora, have you been drinking again? It does look like a Bongo or similar will give us more of what we need, especially with two toddlers to accomodate.

hora
    Free Member

No no, just a sly-dig at T4 owners 8)

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

When i was looking there seemed to be quite a bit of a premium for a VW due to the ‘trendy’ factor, i came to the conclusion that a Transit/Bongo etc.. would offer better value for money. All of them are very small inside really, so you’ll definitely need some sort of awning.

Or you could buy a caravan! 😉

Terrydactyl

My Bongo is great…..4 wheel drive gets me out/accross muddy fields. Half the price of German equivalents. Its been reliable…only issue is 25mpg. Kids sleep upstairs, i sleep downstairs. Bikes on the back Kayaks on the roof, cider in the fridge…….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bongo/ Jap vans vs T4 etc etc’ is closed to new replies.