Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Boltby Forest North Yorkshire
  • moose2008
    Free Member

Does anybody know if there is any decent mountain biking here? Can’t seem to find any gps’s or route maps. I’ve done lots of riding all around that area but never in the forest. Any route advice is welcomed.
    Cheers

wombat

It’s one of my regular haunts, there’s plenty of fireroad & quite a few nice sections of singletrack.

I just tend to link up different sections to make for a different ride each time.

I’m not aware of any specific routes in the forest as such but there are an increasing number of sculpted trails that have clearly had some time spent on them.

HTH

moose2008
    Free Member

Is there a particular part of the forest that has the most ST or is it spread all over. I’ll be entering and leaving from the Black hambleton / square corner edge. From google earth I can see a resevoir as a reference point.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

We usually park at the end of Carr Lane near Thirlby. From there you can climb up on the Cleveland Way, head over to Boltby then spend time dropping in and out of the woods and down the bank; some very cool singletrack downhills off Black Hambleton.

Within the woods, depending what they’re chopping down the singletrack can loose alot of its flow between visits

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Fantastic riding I live about 2 miles from it and i’m constantly finding new routes, especially if linked up with parts of the cleveland way and some of the decents from sutton bank and white horse, worth just riding out and picking bridleways, paths and trails.

uplink
    Free Member

Boggy Boltby ……..

not been there for years, must try it again sometime

moose2008
    Free Member

Think I’ll have to explore tomorrow night.

bdab
    Free Member

Another boggy boltby local here, as above there is a few nice bits but its best used to link up the BW off boltby scar over little moor with the BW to kepwick . Bits to look out for.. trail round resevoir edge,silver nab, windygill ridge and footpath to midlife hill or if its very dry keep on BW and look out for a trail round kirby knowle moor and west moor , there was a trail that starts of the fireroad near paradise farm and one that ends near bottom of cracoe slack but its been a while since i rode them so dont know what state they are in. A MX enduro made a mess of a few trails last year .

el_boufador

Not in Boltby, but try these as descents – all very good moderately technical runs 🙂

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=446993&Y=490427&A=Y&Z=120

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=450105&Y=485692&A=Y&Z=120

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=450467&Y=483867&A=Y&Z=120

THe BW along the top of the escarpment is also good fun

moose2008
    Free Member

el_boufador

Thanks for that.
    I think I’ve done those ones, the decent into Kepwick from Black Hambleton is a great one and the other two I think I’ve done when I did the Sutton short blast ride off the MTB-routes website. There’s a nice track that takes you down into cowesby too. I was wondering mainly if there are any tracks in the large part of the forest above and to the left of High paradise farm.

moose2008
    Free Member

Stu E

Cheers.
    I think I’ve found the same searches as you. I’ll probably have to go out and explore the main part of Boltby forest. I’m within a mile or so of the forest on so many rides but never use it, so it’s time to get my finger out and loop it in on some of my rides. I think that it’s probably a bit like Silton woods where there is some nice ST but it dosen’t link up too well so you just loop a bit in here and there on different rides.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Boltby Forest North Yorkshire’ is closed to new replies.