Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Boltby Bash 2018
  • threerock44
    Free Member

What’s the verdict on this race? Historially I’ve done a few XC races, cyclocross, MTB orienteering but a bit unfit and fat after a few years of vague illnesses and injuries so just getting bak into it on my new Giant Trance. Do-able for someone for whom big air is 2 inches off the ground?

markshires
    Free Member

I did it last year and enjoyed it. The transition from stage 3 to 4 was brutal and really finished me off. There were nothing you had to jump or any drops or anything. Although I found a couple of the stages to have some steep loose loamy bits that I have never ridden anything like it and couldn’t get the hang of. Having said that I’m hoping to do it again next year. I have to improve in pretty much coming last.

It’s the only enduro I’ve done by the way so I have nothing to compare it to.

Anyway here’s some highlights of my practice day.
    [video]https://youtu.be/DNexeAv8dQk[/video]

andybrad

hoping to get to this. Just how technical vs fit do you have to be?

jaylittle
    Free Member

Quite fancy this too, never done it before but did this years Ard Moor and the previous two Ard Rock events. Tickets go on sale on Friday at 8pm.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

hoping to get to this. Just how technical vs fit do you have to be?

Fit yes. Its quite a big loop 23ish miles especially if you do practice too.

*edit* Its actually 20 miles

Strava link

Techincal. Not the worse enduro I have done but there are few nadgery bits. As with most enduros everything is doable it just how fast you do them at makes it tricky.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

so 20 miles with 1000 metres of climbing, sounds a decent ride and nothing overly heavy for anyone living in the lakes, peaks or pennines.

do i need to be online 8am to buy, does it sell out real quick,

if its good enough for the ard rock promoter, it should be a belter

threerock44
    Free Member

Thanks markshires for the reply inc video!

jaylittle
    Free Member

[do i need to be online 8am to buy, does it sell out real quick,] i thought tickets went on dale at 8pm?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@jaylittle you are quite right, 8pm friday 24th, for some reason its in my head it was Thursday 8am.

do tickets sell out fast ?

bigtimebones
    Free Member

They didnt last year AFAIK.

markshires
    Free Member

They didn’t last year, not sure when they actually went on sale but I didn’t buy mine until at least February time. That’s not to say that they won’t this year. But I think they have increases capacity too.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

tickets on sale 8pm

darrenspink
    Free Member

Well thats the first race of 2018 booked 😀

jaylittle
    Free Member

Im a bit soft and never done it before…. sportif!

markshires
    Free Member

I’m in! Last place has officially been taken!

fooman

I’m also in for the North of England Enduro Championships @ Boltby. I’m hoping nobody else checks the box and I win by default.

Mugboo

I’m in 🙂

markshires
    Free Member

@fooman I checked the box, but you can have first if I come second I’ll be more than happy!

riklegge

I’m in! Just need to get fit now.

cardo

Good reports of this from riding buddies, so booked our places for next year.

wombat

It’s one of my regular local riding spots (was up there tonight in fact) there’s some cracking lines , I’d certainly recommend it

tmb467
    Free Member

I’m also in. For now

Simon

What do you mean for now??
    It’ll be an ace weekend, even if you just come for the post riding fun 😉

jaylittle
    Free Member

Changed from the sportive to the enduro as I didn’t read it properly. Thought the Sportive was just a more relaxed endure but its timed from start to finish!

riklegge

For those that know the area, how hardtail (Stanton Switchback)friendly is it? Would it make much difference compared with 160mm bike?

markshires
    Free Member

One of the lads that did it last year with us rode around on his 45650b, although only cause he snapped his alpine the week before. I should imagine he’ll be doing it on the alpine this year though.

Having said that I did send a few doing it on hardtails though.

jaylittle
    Free Member

fair play to anybody tackling these events on a hard tail.

andybrad

im in,

slighty concerned that the race is on the sunday after saturday with some friends 🙂

cant wait

sturdylad
    Free Member

I’m in.
    Veteran of 1 previous enduro at FoD this year, and that was only a mini!
    Hoping the Boltby will play to my strengths and be a bit more pedally!

wombat

riklegge – Member
    For those that know the area, how hardtail (Stanton Switchback)friendly is it? Would it make much difference compared with 160mm bike?

It’s fine on a hardtail, I ride that area every couple of weeks or so on a fully rigid Krampus and haven’t died yet.

YMMV obvs 😉

Mugboo

Andybrad, don’t you pretend you have friends 🙂

ready

Less than 2 weeks to go with barely any training, and I’ve totally lost my biking mojo.  Think I might struggle with this one…

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

If anyone has any tickets they want to get rid of….. 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

Try on their FB page.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

not far off now, the full sus isnt ready so out with the hardtail.. cant wait

riklegge

Looking forward to it. I’m keeping mud tyres on for now in the hope of confusing the weather gods.

darrenspink
    Free Member

It will still be wet/greasy in the woods, minions are staying on my bike.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Gaz.dick – if you drop me an email I have a friend that can’t make the event so hes looking to move the ticket on. Also put an ad in the for sale section.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Got a ticket going if anyone still looking.

Also got accom booked, I can cancel this at no cost but if someone wants a nice place for the night before I’ll pass it on

sturdylad
    Free Member

Cheeky bump…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Boltby Bash 2018’ is closed to new replies.