Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Body Fat Measurement – US Naval Method?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Me too.

The good lady wants to iDiet and want me to do it too. She’s not allowing my hybird version that I’ve been doing so all the Xmas chocolates sat on the desk opposite me are staying there until Friday.

Jamie
    Free Member

What is the Hybrid Version™?

LabMonkey
    Free Member

DEXA

phil.w
    Free Member

do you have one LabMonkey?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Ha, it’s my own version Jamie… it’ll cost you..

Or you could just allow Dairy and Fruit and cheat every 3 – 4 days?

phil.w +1

Jamie
    Free Member

You better speak to my financial assistant for payment details, TSY.

Mr. D. Darcy is the chaps name.

D0NK

My Mum thinks I look ill = racing weight

This, not been at it for a while tho 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Good point D0NK.

It’s always interesting when I make an effort to shift a bit of weight, everyone says I look gaunt/ill.

Might need to get a fake tan or something.

LabMonkey
    Free Member

phil.w – Member

do you have one LabMonkey?

Yes, well, I don’t own one myself as they cost ~£300K – but there is one just downstairs from my office.

Fact of the day – LabMonkey has 24% head fat.

ton

6ft4
    19.5” neck
    40” waist
    43” hips

21%……………….what a load of old boolax 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

That’s one hell of a big neck you’ve got there!

Remind me not to offend you.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeti I dunno about milk for recovery. It seems to have the required nutrients in good proportions but not in very large amounts, I think you might have to drink an awful lot immediately post exercise. Depending on what you’ve done of course.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Added to muesli with extra nuts? It was more regarding the insulin response particular to dairy that I was thinking.

As an aside, muesli served with black filter coffee is pretty shit.

molgrips
    Free Member

It depends if something else in the milk promotes insulin release, or if it’s purely in direct response to the carbs. Too much insulin for the available sugar would result in blood sugar too low, I think. Having said that, insulin does a lot of things one of which is act as an anabolic agent…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… I think we need Solo’s in depth analysis…

Solo I promise to read it all… no matter how lenghty the post or how little it looks like a poem.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve also found I’m fastest running when thinnest, but fast cycling seems (in my case) to need a couple of extra fat kilos…

…interesting stuff. I’ve found the same this year for cycling. I’m now a good few kgs lighter than I was this summer and finding i’m struggling a bit on the bike as a result (although part of it is also being in pain due to the horrible bike) Despite being heavier than I’ve ever been (2-4kgs over normal weight, and 4kgs over running race weight) I kept on setting pbs and performance kept on improving.

I’m hoping next season I can find a way of being both light and fast for racing 😕

Yeti, getting a personal training session in kettlebells on weds night 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Good work there Ms Dirty… I reckon you may ditch the rest of your extensive weights regime after that session.

I’m just trying to get down to lean weight only… I only bought ‘Racing Weight’ to keep me entertained whilst shopping on Saturday, but I’m full blown obsessed now.

Solo
    Free Member

If I bump this will Solo see it and tell me whether I’m allowed milk after exercise on the iDiet?

I thought that after the thread where I was well flamed for dissing milk consumption, that people knew position on milk.

I learnt things about milk, initially from listening to the R4 show, “Farming today”.
    As the title suggests, the program can be very informative.
    All this, way before iDave and his suggestions.

As has been discussed before, while milk appears to be rated as low GI.
    The body seems to process it in such a fashion that promotes insulin release.
    As you know.

Recovery drink ?.
    I’m not a personal trainer, we know who is, and I defer to his seniority in these matters.
    However, milk isn’t really for me.
    Yes, I do have a reaction to it, I have lost the ability to fully process Lactose.
    But then again, most of us do after the age of 4yrs, to a varying degree.

As Molgrips seems to suggest, there may be better alternatives.

I thought iDave Ok’d carbs, drinking them, after exercise / sport.

I have also scratched the surface of something referred to as Carb reloading or something.
    However, this seems to rely on the subject being below a certain BF threshold.
    Apparently the re-loading can actually assist with / promote reduction in body fat ????.
    I need to read more on this.

I don’t drink milk.

The US Navy think I’m 9.3 percent B/F
    Judging by my muscle definition, I’d disagree in favour of being a higher B/F.
    I weigh in once a week, Saturdays.
    Last Sat I was 78Kg, and I haven’t really been trying too hard on the diet.
    Just ticking over within the general rules, with the odd slip.

I am starting to see a shadow at the top of where a 6 pack may lurk.
    I mailed iDave about reducing the last few tiny bits of abdominal fat, but no reply.
    I may have to give him some business.
    TBH, hes helped alot already.

**Happy Jamie ?**

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’d be even lighter if mustard didn’t tempt me with bad things like crisps. 😛 I’ve got my weights down to just over an hour, followed by a 20min run so happy with that. I just fancy mixing it up and having a session full of pain 😀

Is the 4hr body worth a read? Any ideas on how i can be both light and fast on the bike then? I’d guess my body must need the extra fat/fuel to go faster?

molgrips
    Free Member

Funny Solo.. I must be 15-17% BF easily and you can clearly see where my abs are. Ok so they are sticking out a bit but you can see em.

Having said that, I’ve seen abs on the bloated stomack of an obese man so who knows what’s going on there.

Is the 4hr body worth a read?

Absolutely yes. Apart from the bits about sex. It points out how complex the issues are re training and metabolism, and demonstrates that the traditional ideas are a long way from definitive.

The bit about the skinny high-school champion middle distance runner who can lift huge weights might be interesting for you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I thought iDave Ok’d carbs, drinking them, after exercise / sport.

He does, but doesn’t mention milk… I wondered if through your research you’d found specific reasons why milk might still be banned even after training.

Dirty – I looked at the 4 hour body… looked very ‘self help’ style. Racing Weight may be just the same but it seemed more, errr, right when I was reading the cover.

From what I’ve read so far… is it definitely fat you’ve put on? If it is, then you don’t need it.

Molly – I reckon I’m 12% BF then. If I use non-athlete scales it says 17%… which means to get to 10-12% my total weight would have to drop below 11 stone, I just don’t believe it…

Going to try anyway 🙂

phil.w
    Free Member

Any ideas on how i can be both light and fast on the bike then?

fast at what on a bike?

i.e. at extreme opposites fast at time trials would require a completely different body composition to fast at alpine stages.

I’d guess my body must need the extra fat/fuel to go faster?

I had a similar need. After reading racing weight I purposefully put on weight and it has helped particularly on long rides.

molgrips
    Free Member

Note I don’t suggest following the 4HB mantra.. just read the book and use it as a starting point for your own research. Lots of interesting ideas in it.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with getting ideas… bought some Armstrong training guide too… a lot of it’s pretty basic but seems to be some good stuff in it.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Yeti, not entirely sure – need to get a new body composition done to be sure what i’ve lost since touring and what i should focus on for the future.

fast at what on a bike?

Road racing mostly…i want to be able to ride at 24-25mph (ish) for around 50miles, plus mtb racing of some sort too.

philconsequence
    Free Member

hows it going mr molly? 😀 i’m down to 85kg wearing gym clothes, shoes and having drunk about 5-700mls liquid before getting to the gym.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

…i want to be able to ride at 24-25mph (ish)

How are you getting on with that? I assume you mean in a pack?

Jamie
    Free Member

fast at what on a bike?

Getting down the chippy before it shuts.

phil.w
    Free Member

DGOAB – You should read racing weight. It helps put into perspective ideal weight. As in your ‘racing weight’ is the weight at which you are fastest. This is not necessarily your lightest. It has lots of advice on how to measure your weight against performance to find your ideal.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

How are you getting on with that? I assume you mean in a pack?

I got stuck at 20mph (solo) I kinda figure raising my solo speed means I can stick with a bunch riding faster i.e if i can ride at say 22mph on my own, riding with a bunch at 25mph will be ok? Learnt a lot this year about training/nutrition which will help me for next year and lots to work on in terms of intervals/sprints etc. First race is on 18 March so thinking about it a lot atm.

Need to learn better road craft and tactics when my new bike arrives to help with some of it too.

Phil_w…thanks, will do. That sounds interesting.

Solo
    Free Member

Funny Solo.. I must be 15-17% BF easily and you can clearly see where my abs are. Ok so they are sticking out a bit but you can see em.

With abdominal muscle definition, at about 82Kg, I would have thought you had ticked all the Post Picture criteria in order to post, err, your After Piccy.

I have better definition now, in other places.
    Baring in mind I was about 85Kg at 6’1″.
    Although it may be worth me pointing out that I have approached my weight reduction from a point of view that I do not wish to carry excess lard and risk developing excess weight related illness in later life.
    After all, I’m clothed most of the time, so whats the point of going too lean and defined ?.
    Esp as I’ve grown out of the need to Win.

So for me, it really is a lifestyle change, as far as food is concerned.

Lunch today was hummous, a courgette, cherry toms, wild alaskan salmon, a pepper and a scotch egg.
    This low carb thing is a sinch !.
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

I got stuck at 20mph (solo) I kinda figure raising my solo speed means I can stick with a bunch riding faster

What is your heart rate when you cycle at this speed ?.

Do you sustain this HR and road speed, or is that just sprints ?.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Have to say Dirty… I’d be a pretty happy Yeti if I was covering 50 miles at 25 mph or more, in flat old Oxfordshire.

Was getting my 20mile commute towards those speeds… looks like I’ve got a new target 🙂

glenh
    Free Member

dgoab – being a few (or even more than a few) kgs ‘over weight’ won’t make any difference cycling on the flat, it’s all about your fitness vs air resistance. You’ll notice it on big hills though.

p.s. that website reckons I’m 7% fat, which explains why I go up hill ok on the bike despite my lack of speed on the flat. 😕

oh and I eat lots of lushious carbs 🙂
    talking of which, time for that second lunch…

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Over the summer, my average hr at 20mph dropped between 10-20 beats and I never reached anywhere near my max by the end of the season (unlike the first time i tried it!) The 20mph was a sustained speed/effort and it felt a comfortable speed by the end of the season. I could put in bursts of speed/sprints but not enough to raise the overall average speed.

Once a week I did intervals/hill climbs/attacks/standing stands where my average hr was much much higher, and my legs/lungs were screaming in pain. Next year I think i need two high intensity sessions per week. I also need to improve my race nutrition which I have now got sorted.

crazy-legs

Need to learn better road craft and tactics when my new bike arrives to help with some of it too.

Next year I think i need two high intensity sessions per week

Get down to Meadowbank track. Nothing teaches you fast pack riding and tactics like track racing and a 20 min track race is a brilliant high intensity, zero impact* workout.

*provided you don’t fall off in which case it’s one hell of an impact!

Aidy
    Free Member

That website reckons 3.8% body fat with my measurements.

Solo
    Free Member

Over the summer, my average hr at 20mph dropped between 10-20 beats and I never reached anywhere near my max by the end of the season (unlike the first time i tried it!) The 20mph was a sustained speed/effort and it felt a comfortable speed by the end of the season. I could put in bursts of speed/sprints but not enough to raise the overall average speed.

Ok, so you do not wish to reveal your percentage of MHR while crusing at 20mph.
    All I would say is that if it were me.
    Then I’d only do sustained / lengthy period cardio at 65-70 percent Maximal HR.
    Short bursts getting into the 90-100 percent would be Ok too.
    However, I would avoid sustained efforts with my HR in the 70-95 percent range of MHR.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dirty – have you compared your target (25 mph for 50 miles) against the current WC TT average speed over just 27.8k?

phil.w
    Free Member

Next year I think i need two high intensity sessions per week.

Anybody know if there is a recommended balance (or what it is) between short interval sets and longer rides. as in a maximum number of interval sets compared to longer rides per week.

I know what it is for running and wondered if there is something similar for cycling.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Body Fat Measurement – US Naval Method?’ is closed to new replies.