Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Bob a Job?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

STORM-HAVEN tents

We used those too. There was however one prewar Pioneer tent we coveted. It was made fro canvas so dense light couldn’t percolate through it. It also had a flysheet which made it doubly dark. The upside was that it never leaked.

Was anyone else on the receiving end of the first camp quartermaster errand?

I too was sent for a ‘long wait’.

Sandwich

Somewhere, I have my old 6″ bladed sheath knife. I was disappointed when I wasn’t allowed to use it as a leader, on camp, in 2003! The Scouts were disappointed too as I was planning to cover knife skills. Strangely the 4″ sheath knife was acceptable, go figure.

RustySpanner

We had ‘Icelandics’ – huge green canvas monstrosities.
    Named after their compete inability to retain any heat whatsoever.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Lad by me offered to clean my car, ok how much £15… £15… It wasn’t even that dirty. He said he would spend a good half an hour on it. He told me he only gets £30 a week from his paper round… £30 I used to get 5p a paper and as a bonus on a Friday a look in the sport when someone orderd it. Kids today…

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Late 70s, a chap gave me and my friend 5p to catch 3 goats.

It was probably the most entertaining 5p he has ever spent.

LabWormy
    lasty
    Free Member

^^^^ Sorry but thatd make great kindling…. 😆

LabWormy

Well, got a give it a try 🙂

Knives are not banned, by the way. Normal UK law applies.

MrOvershoot

Bloody hell so many memories flooding back!
    Was in the Cub’s then Scouts from 1970-1979. Like many have said most of the things we did are now out of bounds due to H&S or legislation, remember getting as high as a kite repairing our troops canoes 😀

I have to say I gained so many life skills & outdoor things that I’m glad I didn’t miss out those days

mcmoonter
    Free Member

While I was working with my brother today we were talking about scout camps with knives. Neither of us saw a whole lot of whittling or gadget making but if Knifie were an Olympic sport, the Scottish scout movement could supply a gold medalist.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Bob a Job?’ is closed to new replies.