Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Genesis opinions please!
  • thebfg
    Free Member

I’m looking at a Genesis Mantle 10 as my return to mountain biking, my previous (and current) being an old rigid steel framed Diamondback Topanga!

[/url]

I can’t find any reviews on the Mantle 10 as it’s pretty new, Genesis seem to be a decent brand from other bike reviews I’ve read and the bike I tested felt good and looked lovely. I enjoyed the feel of the 29er wheels too.

Ultimately I’m asking whether the bike is a good buy?

ojom
    Free Member

Get a test ride and a leg over one at your bike shop.

They look pretty decent and well designed. We have a 20 on range and it seems to be getting some good comments.

thebfg
    Free Member

Already tried it, nice ride, but then not being massively experienced I’m probably easy to please!

Do Genesis generally get their bikes right?

ojom
    Free Member

We stock them cause they are ‘right’. Seriously – they seem to get it right everytime.

bajsyckel

Have an i0iD and have ridden mates’ alptitudes, cores… All seem well thought out and good to ride, not the most glamorous or eye-catching. I’d bet most of their bikes are similar, though the weight puts me off their steel cx and road ones.

thebfg
    Free Member

Cool, I’m coming from heavy steel frame, rigid forks and very ineffective cantilever brakes so it seemed very high tech and smooth to me!

philsimmo
    Free Member

Not tried a Mantle but own a Core and its ace. Concur with TBC, they just feel “right”

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

i’ve a 2010 Alpitude………………Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dawson

I’ve got a 2012 Latitude – its been great this year, one thing that I have noticed (and am a little disappointed about) is that on mine the paint is quite thin and marks easily (if that sort of thing bothers you), but then again its head plenty of use this year!

jamj1974

I like my Fortitude SS. Only ridden a couple of times but felt ‘right’ straight away.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

They’re great bikes – the only thing I’d say is that Mantle 10 is designed as a ‘race’ bike so unless you’re racing it might be worth looking at something less racey?

thebfg
    Free Member

The body position felt pretty hardcore but still comfy, the shop suggested adding a longer stem to make it more everyday useful.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Would you not want to go shorter in the stem to move your body slightly more upright & less racey?

Baldysquirt

spec and geometry (and description) look bang on for trail riding. Lovely looking bikes. I’d stick with the stem as it is for now until you’ve ridden it for a while – I certainly wouldn’t think it would need longer – the top tube lengths are nice and generous.

seosamh77
    Free Member

got a 2011 core 40, love it.

Although the back wheel did fail on mine when I was up a aviemore a few months after I bought it, completely cracked right around the diameter of the the rim, quite nasty actualy.

Had to buy on new back wheel from bothy bikes while I was up there to continue the trip.

No idea if that’s just a one off or not, but thought I’d mention.

spacman78
    Free Member

I recently got my hands on an ex display genesis core 26.5 for a bargain price on eBay and I can honestly say it is the nicest bike a have ever owned, it handles beautifully and is a pure pleasure to ride!! You couldnt go wrong with one, the only thing I would say is that I haven’t tried the new mantles as they are 29ers?? But they will probably be brilliant!

spacman78
    Free Member

Theres a 19 inch mantle 10 on ebay with two days to go and its three hundred?

headpotdog
    Free Member

Got a Altitude 30 and have been really happy with it. Got rid of those terrible Continental Mountain King tyres, changed the bars to 750mm and will be swapping the stem to a shorter 55mm one, but if I’m being honest or didn’t need it. Has made it feel more gnarr though 8)

Seeing as no-one else has put a picture of theirs up, I’ll break the ice.

[/url]
    Genesis by Jonathan Roch, on Flickr[/img]

kazafaza
    Free Member

Genesis FTW

Yes, I do love my Genesis bikes! I’ve had iO ID and older iO SS – definitelly worth considering as they’re all have quite relaxed geo and I’ve got a weak spot for steel! Still toying with the idea of building up a Croix de Fer and probably the Alpitude if it’s poss to convert to 650b.

belugabob
    Free Member

Genesis for the win.
    Just rebuilt my Altitude, after a visit to the powder coater – It’s just so much fun to ride.
    Can’t see the Mantle being any different – they just seem to get their bikes right.

BillMC

I’ve got a Core 40 and so has my gf. Really happy with them, lighter and quicker than my Maverick. I would strongly recommend.

matt1986
    Free Member

I have a core 30 and the frame has handled everything iv thrown at it without flinching iv even done some DH on it and I’m a big guy and its never failed. There frames are amazing. James Olsen who designed the core and others at genesis now designes for pinnacle for Evans and the iroko is the same geo as a core and is miles better speced for the money.

seosamh77
    Free Member

here’s my core 40, complete with replacement back wheel.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

My Abyss built up from a frame, great wee bike, atlhough It has me lusting after its steel brother, the aptitude

mboy
    Free Member

My Altitude Ti…

Have had this bike for ages now (and the 853 steel version that preceded it), and much as I keep toying with getting a newer bike, I love this one so much I don’t want to sell it! It just feels “right”.

pnewbery1966
    Free Member

I have had a mantle for about 3 weeks, and for the most part it is a great bike. The only issue I have had is that the stock tires are too wide for the frame, it has rubbed paint off the seat stays which pissed me off a bit (I am still waiting on Madison for touch up paint). I changed the tires to 2.0 racekings which seem fine for clearance.

jameso

— the iroko is the same geo as a core and —

Not quite the same 🙂 but a similar kind of bike yes.

orangefatlad
    Free Member

Agree with previous post set up (Fortitude) feel good, however disappointing with paint finish, cable wore through to bare metal in one ride.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My wife and I share an iO singlespeed. It’s OK.
    It looks nice, it’s reasonably well made, the handling is neutral.
    But it’s heavy, and very, very sluggish uphill and the paint is falling off in big lumps. I’ve changed the very heavy OE tyres but it’s still lardy, and 1/2lb heavier than my ’93 Explosif which has heavier tyres and 24 gears.
    We don’t ride it much and I can see it being the next bike to be got rid of. It’s just uninspiring.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Genesis opinions please!’ is closed to new replies.