Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Boardman Bikes no longer in the mountain bike business?
  • fooman

I noticed Halfords had some cracking clearance prices on the Boardman 650b MTB range (which were pretty good value anyway) so I thought this meant new 2016 bikes coming. So I went to Boardmans web site… Nothing, no 29ers either… Does this mean Boardman are exiting mountain bike business?

geoffj

Dunno, but my local Alpine Bikes (Tiso) now sells Boardman road bikes.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

would make sense as Halfords have bought Boardman, so they can put brands in discrete markets rather than have them compete (so Boardman road, Voodoo MTB)?

johnnystorm

Isn’t the stuff on their webpage the posher range they only sell through Lbs?

Looks like the Decals have been revamped, maybe a new range on the way, the Halfords bikes never did seem to stick to the usual model year timetable.

butcher

The Elite range are usually sold outside of Halfords. I guess they don’t see it as their target market. But didn’t Halfords buy Boardman Bikes last year? It probably won’t mean much, but who knows…

cyclistm
    Free Member
    alwillis

As above- Elite range (only in LBS) has no MTBs at all, and has a revamped look (and some very slight spec changes) for 2016, same frames/ models though.

The Performance range (traditionally Halfords only, but they are experimenting with some LBS) should have a couple of MTBs when it is finally released (possibly end of Jan we are being told), but I do know that at least some of the MTBs are being dropped, including the carbon 650b hardtail (which is excellent for the money by the way!)

monkeychild
    Free Member

My Boardman 29er Pro is bloody ace. So much bike for the cash. It’s a shame IMHO.

chipps

Might be something to do with the Boardman bikes press launch in a couple of weeks 🙂
    For which we’ve been asked what size mountain bike our tester would like to try…

fooman

Boardman Bikes web site certainly used to have the full range featured (I used it to check specs) couple that with some missing models at Halfords (no team fs, only one size of pro frame) had me worried. I agree great value bikes hopefully see a new range in a couple of weeks.

cookeaa

the Halfords bikes never did seem to stick to the usual model year timetable.

Breaking the “traditional” Year model cycle makes sense, why launch your 2016 MTBs in late 2015, when peak sales time will probably be spring/summer?
    at which point the 2016 model is ~six months Old, no longer new and shiny and the next model will be out soon.

Drag your feet a bit, more time to plan, procure and polish up the literature/website; start the main sales push and initial stock up in ~mid-late March, aim to peak June/July, minimum left over stock for discounting through Aug-Feb, so they have more time to plan the next year…

Rushing “next years” model into the shops before Q4 probably doesn’t generate many more sales…

All total speculation… 🙂

riddoch

Boardman, at least to begin with, had a two year model cycle anyway rather than the traditional 1 year.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

No there is a new range of Boardmans coming out in a couple of weeks. Halfords are just selling off the existing stock to make space.

The elite Boardmans are not exclusive to halfords so will be on sale at Tisos etc.

Watch this space!

fooman

Well I’ve seen a promo picture of a new bike, looks like new colour scheme, 1x gearing & Pikes instead of Revs – to be confirmed though!

wwaswas

Launched next Friday from the email I just received.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Boardman Bikes no longer in the mountain bike business?’ is closed to new replies.