Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bike for (mainly) turbo trainer mule
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Which of these would you go for?

Garry_Lager

Good question – I have my caadx on the turbo and would prefer not to, seems like a lot of flex goes into the frame when you’re laying down some watts.
    Do you need a new road bike, though? Those bikes aren’t that exciting and you could get something second hand for a hundred quid just to sit on the turbo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Partialy what Garry said.

My CAAD is 10 years old and has spent hours on the turbo with no ill effects.
    But if it’s just a generic road bike your after for mostly Turbo duties, just get on ebay and buy whatever is cheapest (and spend the change on really nice saddles/bars for your summer bike and the cheap version to match on the turbo).

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t know Garry. I’ve had a look around, I like Giant and even though I’ve never ridden a road bike in my life; have always liked the look of Cannondales.
    Will I use it away from the turbo? Only if I go out with the Mrs and sprog. A commuter bikes would be more sensible I suppose but they are even more boring. The only one I’ve seen that I like is the BMC alpenchallenge and I can’t find many decent deals on them.
    Happy to receive advice on cheap 2nd hand bikes!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Happy to receive advice on cheap 2nd hand bikes!

They don’t really exist IMO, unless you are very lucky. Ebay appear to be cheap and knackered or £200-400.

In theory I think you could pedal away on a £150 Asda road bike for what you need. In reality Decathlon would be better.

However I could never afford to buy a bike just to use on a turbo!

TiRed

I’d buy a cheaper Defy 5 just for turbo and occasional road use. Have both of those frames and they are both fine first road bikes. New Sora is very good.

For the same money as above, you should find a used (10 spd) ultegra TCR or CAAD8 105. Or a Boardman (same geometry as TCR). Nicer shifting, lighter, but no different on a turbo.

Of the two choices, i’d pick the Defy because it doesn’t have a BB30 bottom bracket.

EDIT: if you are looking for a 56 CAAD8 then you will want a M/L Defy, that will fit up to about 6’1-2″.

hammyuk
    Free Member

What size are you looking at?
    My Giant SCR4.0 has spent more time on the turbo that outside in its life and has covered no more than 400 miles in that time.
    Its going in the classifieds over the weekend – have a set of alu/carbon Giant wheels as well – the rear has a turbo specific tyre fitted.

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t think my 1×10 hardtail would be well geared for it. Been warned off exercise bikes, and getting a concept rower seems crazy (I don’t row boats).

Size? 6ft 😀
    This look ok?
    http://www.rutlandcycling.com/284979/products/2015-giant-defy-5-road-bike-black-silver-red.aspx

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Cheapest bTwin Triban you can find in the right size!

lunge

Do you really need to spend that much for a turbo bike? Would a £300 Decathlon special do the job?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The locks must be worth a few £ on their own http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-Road-Bike-for-SALE-/252160826759?hash=item3ab5f4dd87:g:obYAAOSw14xWPe3H

It’s old 105, but it’s still as good as/better than claris/sora/tigra http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-Madone-2-3-56cm-Racing-Road-Bike-/191734467239?hash=item2ca443caa7:g:WlwAAOSwAYtWP8Dy

Just see whats local, for turbo duties you could even go for something old and steel with DT shifters (although they cost about the same as a much newer bike).

There are bargains if you look, plenty of MAMILs geting bored or upgrading after not a whole lot of use, just avoid the ones that have been worn out.

wrecker
    Free Member

TINAS, for £300 would I not be better off with the Defy 5 brand new for £300? It might not have great bits on it but it’s new w/warranty.

BadlyWiredDog

You could always just stick a suitable wheel in the back of an existing bike and use that, maybe a 26″ mtb with a trainer tyre or whatever. Buy cheap wheel and tyre and basic cassette and you’re sorted. What waste money on a complete bike if it’s barely going to leave the turbo?

wrecker
    Free Member

As above, I only have a 1×10 hardtail and the gearing wouldn’t be man enough for it.

BadlyWiredDog

As above, I only have a 1×10 hardtail and the gearing wouldn’t be man enough for it.

Have you tried it? I guess it depends on how much resistance the trainer provides. If you don’t have a turbo yet, you could always get a high resistance one and take it from there?

wrecker
    Free Member

Haven’t pulled the trigger on any kit yet. Hesitant to buy a 27.5 trainer tyre and 142×12 adaptor for the turbo straight off though, let alone a wheel without knowing if it’ll be any use.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I have a 26″ 1 by 9 on the turbo and it works great . 10 levels of resistance on the turbo too

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TINAS, for £300 would I not be better off with the Defy 5 brand new for £300? It might not have great bits on it but it’s new w/warranty.

Maybe, but I’ve yet to break any road bikes bit’s, warranty or otherwise, they get a pretty easy life, but still depreciate at the same rate as MTB’s depite there being very little to separate a £300 bike s/h from the same bike in this years colors for £700 in a shop.

With the added bonus that a £300 s/h bike will still be a £300 s/h bike in a few months/years if he doesn’t like it, a £300 new bike is £150 next week.

TiRed

That M/L Defy 5 is perfect for your needs and a better bike for the same money as the B’twin. Nothing wrong with the B’twins either, but £300 for that Defy is just great value for money. Use the tyres on the turbo, then swap the front to the back, then buy a proper set of decent rubber and go out on the road.

Plenty of what tyres for road threads here, but a set of Vittoria Open Pave 25c in black with red, and some latex tubes will transform the road ride for about £60.

wrecker
    Free Member

With the added bonus that a £300 s/h bike will still be a £300 s/h bike in a few months/years if he doesn’t like it, a £300 new bike is £150 next week.

I dunno, the used defys are about the same price as the reduced ones, at least the ones I have found are.
    Here’s one starting at £250;
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Defy-5-ML-Medium-Large-/121810306190?hash=item1c5c75c48e:g:Y~cAAOSwhcJWQHsB
    Here’s a defy 4 for more than a new one(!)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/giant-defy-4-/151878855491?hash=item235caf6b43:g:6IkAAOSwYHxWP3GX

hammyuk
    Free Member

Hmmm – you might be ok on it staic – its a M – welcome to try it

wrecker
    Free Member

Drop me some pics hammy. Would a M be a bit short in reach relative to my (L) MTBs?

relliott6879
    Free Member

+1 for the second hand route. My CAAD8 was £216 and my turbo trainer was £40, both from eBay. I deliberately avoided piling in with a big purchase before finding out if I was actually going to get the use out of it.

hammyuk
    Free Member
    Leon
    Free Member

My turbo bike was an old Raleigh fished out of the river. Stripped down, and half decent second hand cranks and back wheel, junk front wheel, new ish cassette, chain and chainrings. New bar tape and old saddle. Good to go. Not rideable as a bike, but great for turbo.I suppose it depends if you’ve got a load of serviceable crap lying around (I did).

Downside of this is only single purpose. Good thing is no faff, as always set up, not flicking dirt all over my bedroom, and a nice bit of recycling

darryl1983
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near nottingham, I’ve got an Eddy Merckx AMX-1 up for sale (Check classified), open to offers, as i’m wanting the cash for a new mtb purchase now.

I’m roughly 6ft 2″, for size comparison.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Putting a bike to dedicated use on the turbo will ultimately rot it.

Sweat gets everywhere and corrodes stuff faster than a really grim winter on the road.

The paint on my turbo bike is flaking, chainring bolts rusty, other bolts rusty, the front mech band snapped presumably from the salt content….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Bike for (mainly) turbo trainer mule’ is closed to new replies.