Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • BMX Racing
  • dazh

Anyone do it? How feasible is it for a 35 year-old mtber to get into it?

Ever since they built a track in Manchester I've been itching to get back into it. I used to do it a lot when a teenager and was pretty good but that was on the old style tracks. I don't really want to go and get a bike, helmet and pads etc only to find I'm completely out of my depth and never use them again.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

tick

dazh

Care to elaborate? I guess what I really want to know is will a 35 year old bloke be laughed off the track by all the kids?

Very feasible. I'm 41 and still do it. In fact, the 30+ classes are the fastest growing classes as there's lots of first generation BMX'ers returning to the sport with their kids and taking it up again.

At the British Champs we had 40 riders in 40+ cruiser. Yesterday at the Southern Champs we had 15.

Where are you based? I'll point you in the direction of your nearest club.

You will not get laughed off the track. I thought that when I returned in 2005/6, but you will soon realise the only thing holding you back is yourself. Once you overcome that, the progression will begin.

lock
    Free Member

yeh ive been thinking about bmx racing or 4x,i want to do it with my 8 yr old,im in crawley and i think chicksands and porc are my closest i think,

i would be interested in any info

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Definetely go for it. If you want to get a taste for it, just go to a few club gate nights rather than racing straight away.

Popping along to a track at weekends when no club events are on, you could find yourself with a few teenagers giving it the old 'what can you jump then mate' and 'what's it worth then' silly questions.

Got a bike yet? Must get mine out the shed, problem being Bournemouths gate night is the same night as Purbecks group rides, and something's gotta give. p.s. i don't feel silly on mine at 39.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I got my first BMX for my 30th b'day and spent the winter at indoor skate parks. It was amazing. Next summer, gave racing a go. If you do the Midlands regionals, it probably the cheapest form of bike racing you can get. Few quid to enter, practice, 3 motos and a final, I think. I raced Novice 20" and am proud owner of a little plastic cup for 4th in the series, or something equally unimpressive. Had a blast though. Sheffield, Rotherham, Chesterfield all not too far from you if you're near Manchester. Maybe turn up and watch first to gauge how you'd fit in.

The only thing I found is switching from a DH bike to a BMX was pretty hard! The BMX felt jittery and harsh, then swapping back, the DH bike felt like a boat. I spent a few months feeling rubbish on both bikes.

Another option, if you have a hardtail, is to race MTB class at the regionals. Seems like most rounds have them. Hardpack tracks, usually all weather, great winter fitness.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

sorry, double post

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

I'm looking for a track near Glasgow (or anything in the west of Scotland) for some nice winter training – Dialled Mike, any ideas where I can find out more? I joined a UK BMX forum but there's not much chat north of the border.

gravity-slave, can you tell me more about the MTB class races?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

gravity-slave, can you tell me more about the MTB class races?

The BMX races I've been to have classes by age then by wheel size, so you can race 20", 24" or 26". Sometimes they roll MTBs and cruisers together if there's not enough riders to fill a gate or two.

So regions might be different. Probably best check with riders at your local track for club and race details.

Lee, contact the guys at titansbmx.co.uk

dazh

Where are you based? I'll point you in the direction of your nearest club.

Thanks all. Sounds like it's a goer. Looks like I could be in the market for another bike. Mrs Daz will not be pleased!

I'm in Manchester so I guess the Manchester BMX club is the obvious port of call. Anyone been to any of their club races or gate practice sessions?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I want to get into BMX I have a (crappy) bike and just want to give it a try but there is nothing near that I know of.

I know they are having the 2012 world champs in Brum and they are supposedly doing up the perry park track but thats all.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Cheers mike and slave, will follow these up

Daz, the Manchester area is a good place to be for BMX. There's the track at Platt Fields for a start. Lots going on locally too: Coppull, Preston, Crewe, Lytham.

dazh

Yup, Manchester seems to be where it's at. As well as Platt Fields and all the nearby tracks, they're also planning an new indoor track at sport city…

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/article/4908/proposals_for_24_million_bmx_centre_announced

Indoor track. You lucky, lucky bastids 😉

rhys
    Free Member

Started this year 38. Never ridden a BMX but got cold watching the kids so bought a Redline cruiser. 2nd in 16+ Novice final at the SW regional in May (three fallers in front of me!!) Really good fun.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

What size wheel is a cruiser then?

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

anyone know if there is anything in the North-Newcastle Upon Tyne area?

PaulBecks
    Free Member

dazh, get yourself down to platt fields and speak with Mark who runs the show there. you can hire a bike, book yourself some track time and away you go!

better still, get a few mates going and you can all be crap together! 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cruisers are 24" wheeled BMX's, occasionaly you see 26" wheeled cruisers as well.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Ive just got one (at 44 !!) as my son has started racing this year and I was getting bored just watching. To be honest I won't race but really enjoy 'playing' and the lads at Crewe all seem ok with an oldy getting in the way! I bought a second hand bike (£125 from ebay) and a cheap full face helmet and will see how I get on before spending any more.

groundskeeperwilly – Hartlepool is your local track.

Crell
    Free Member

Try it on your mountainbike. Lots of people race MTB's in Cruiser / MTB class. You'll find the clubs have lots of 30 and 40 somethings who are getting back in to it (or never got out of it!). Go along to a practice / gate session.

I eventually bought a BMX though because I was worried I'd total a much more expensive MTB chasing round the track after my son. In fairness I much prefer the BMX anyway. I'm going to start racing this winter hopefully 🙂

With the "cheap" full face helmets, just make sure they're snell / dot or whatever approved. Breaking chinguards on cheap full facers can make a hell of a mess of your face…as can no helmet.

If you're getting your young kids in to it I'd think about some chest / back protection as well as the more obvious knee and shoulder pads once they start launching themselves. Any club will help you out with advice, and many will hire you out all the gear you need for an absolute pittance!

I_Ache
    Free Member

For any Birmingham riders that fancy this have a look here.

http://www.birminghambmxclub.co.uk/

I think I will be going along sometime soon.

There is also "old school" racing at some clubs/meetings for oldies who still have their 80s/90s bikes and want to race them against other old schoolers!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Like this Mike?!

That's from my FOX No-clips race photos from Chesterfield in '03. Here's the link to give folk an idea of some BMX race action:
    http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?g=30

Couple more galleries of big/small wheel bmx racing:
    http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?g=61
    http://www.gravity-slaves.co.uk/?g=62

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘BMX Racing’ is closed to new replies.