• This topic has 51 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • BMX for an adult?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

don’t think I could ride a tourer tho

Oi!

GW
    Free Member

Tom – longer (Chainstays and toptubes) = more stability for a 20″ BMX not really H/As.
    a few years back talk about H/A in mtb became very fashionable but lets not get caught up in chatting for fashions’ sake, yes in mtb slack H/As are better for stability when going fast over rough ground but we don’t really do that in BMX so instead the geometry/positioning is tailored around handling/manouverability, the fastest BMXs are generally race bikes but if you look at the H/A of 20″ racebikes compared to street/park (slowest) bikes. you’ll find they often use almost the exact same H/As.
    even with big wheels BB height can play as much importance to stability as H/A but it’s simply not fashionable to worry about that so much yet. (maybe next season, eh? 😉 )

_tom_
    Free Member

Can’t argue with that 🙂

Curly68
    Free Member

My son and mine. We both ride in the cruiser class. A bit more stable than the 20’s in my opinion and great fun riding with most of the other dads! Cheap racing as well. I got my first cruiser for £100 raced a few times, liked it so built this one. Now have a new Identiti cruiser frame for next years racing.

_tom_
    Free Member

Oh and forgot to mention, whilst Specialized and Giant aren’t really bmx companies or seen as “trendy”, they seem to have some of the only completes around the £400 mark that have a full steel frame and 21″ top tubes 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

longer (Chainstays and toptubes) = more stability for a 20″ BMX

That’s interesting GW – I’ve built up many BMXs over the years and always striven to get both TT and stays as short as possible in contrast to my first proper build of a 21″ TT General Lee with 15″ back end 😯 . I guess for trails that fashionably short back end isn’t so important (heck, I don’t see myself tailwhipping anytime soon 😆 ) and may go some way to explaining why my only attempt to ride the local bowl ended in carnage 😆 . Same with my MTBs – makes sense looking back – the longer chainstayed bikes (Kona Coiler, Intense Uzzi, On-One 456) were the best dhers.

GW
    Free Member

I’m still riding long 15″ish (well.. v. slightly shorter) chainstays on both my BMXs.
    but I like short stays on mtbs and relitively (for a DH bike) short on DH bikes.
    kinda like all my bikes to feel as close to the one I ride most (which for over 15years now has always been a short/low 100mm HT) curent one has 16″ chainstays, haven’t seen anything else similar much shorter in Alu that’s still front mech friendly

[/GEEK] 😳

mamadirt
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with being a geometry geek – I’ve been doing the trial and (mostly 😉 ) error thing for years . . . currently slack and super-short is in favour.

makes sense looking back – the longer chainstayed bikes (Kona Coiler, Intense Uzzi, On-One 456) were the best dhers.

. . . oh, and the Kona Five-O 😛

. . . and on reflection, my current ride (Commencal Absolut SX) and the little short-stayed Dialled Holeshot were definitely the most fun in the twisty stuff.

totalshell

got myself a bmx about 18 months ago whilst teaching no 1 daughter to ride.. seemed unfair for her to try to keep up with my mtb. shes now 8 and on a 20” and rides standing up the whole way round our 2 mile loop..

GW
    Free Member

mama – I’d love a shot of an Absolut SX, I like the idea of a SS’d play/mini DH bike. (infact a SS DH bike would be sweet too).. too many bikes already tho 😳

totalshell – I nearly always take a BMX on local group rides with younger kids. it’s not to let them keep up easier (my BMX gearing is higher than a SS mtb would be) it’s so I’ll choose lines and make route choices more suitable for smaller wheels for them to ride.

mamadirt
    Free Member

If you ever around Cwmcarn then give me a shout – you’re welcome to have a go. Super tiny (20″ toptube) – ’tis like a big BMX with squish 😛

GW
    Free Member

don’t see me being down that way in the near future but you never know.. cheers for the offer. 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘BMX for an adult?’ is closed to new replies.