Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • BMW 1 series – roofrack mounting point spacings
  • -m-
    Free Member

Random questions #38…

Is there any chance that someone with a 1-series can measure the spacings between the fixed roof rack mounting points (both front-to-back and side-to-side)? As I recall they’re a screw thread sat under flaps in the roof trim.

If you were also able to confirm that it’s an M6 thread then that would be spectacularly helpful 😉

(and yes, this is the sound of a bodge coming on…)

Thanks greatly.

-m-

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hey dude…

Used to have a 1-series. Just measured the bolts that screwed my mounting kit in (with calipers – measuring ?5.8mm) and yes, they’re M6. Sorry can’t help with other stuff.

You’re not looking to buy a Thule Roof Rapid system fitting kit by any chance are you?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yes screw fit under flaps. Missus is away in it atm but I’ll measure later if noone else has – how accurate do you need? I know front and back are different.

BTW – is it a 3/5 door / coupe – or are they the same body length?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulds…I don’t suppose you’re looking for a mounting kit are you? 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

LOL

We got the oem bars (which for some reason were cheaper than the Thule equivalents when we got the car).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

we got the oem bars

I had both 🙄

-m-
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses so far.

Reason for asking: I need to transport a canoe as a one-off and will be using a 5-door 1-series (not mine). I have a pair of bolt-on roof bars (for another vehicle) and I’m hopeful that it will fit well enough (i.e. not necessarily perfectly) to avoid the faff of having to come up with another solution…

Couldashouldawoulda (or anyone else with the car, tape measure and inclination!): The width measurement is probably the most important and I only need to know to the nearest cm or so to see if my bars will adjust in/out enough to fit. The Thule site lists both 3 and 5 door variants as needing the same bars and foot pack, but I imagine there could be a bit of difference in the widths so it would be helpful to know which you’re measuring.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Its a 5 door

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The mounting points for a 5-door and 3-door are in the same places (not 100% sure on this, but pretty sure)…EDIT: as the dimensions are the same. We had a three-door. If you want any answers, you can always have a look on babybmw.net or bmwbaby.net…not sure which way around it is. That’s where I always got any info when I needed it.

crispo
    Free Member

I will have a look when i get home from work if no one has done it by then.

-m-
    Free Member

Top stuff – thanks all. If one of you is able to measure up later on then that would be great.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

crispo, I don’t suppose you’re looking for a Thule mounting kit are you? 🙂

Flaperon

You’ll need the little plastic/rubber pads which sit around the mounting points and protect the roof of the car.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Flaperon, I don’t suppose you’re looking for a Thule mounting kit are you? 🙂

crispo
    Free Member

I made it 715mm front to back and 1000mm side to side.

DD – already got it thanks, keep going someone may take it off your hands eventually!

Flaperon

DD – already got one, sorry!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Waaaaa! 🙁

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

As promised: Mine is 103cm front, 98 rear.

-m-
    Free Member

Excellent stuff – really appreciate you both taking the time to measure for me and report back.

Thanks again.

-m-

freddyg
    Free Member

DD is your kit compatible with a 3 series? If so, I may be interested.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not sure mate. I think it was. Let me check which foot kit it was as I don’t have the original box for it. Which E-number is your 3 series?

Oh, and I have the aero bars as well as they were too narrow for the replacement car. They’re 860s

gray

Don’t suppose anyone’s looking to buy a 5dr 120d SE by any chance? I’m selling mine. It’s ace, but I’ll soon be moving house and commuting by bus instead of 90 miles per day in the car.

freddyg
    Free Member

Hi DD. It’s an E90.

Gray, my missus would love one, but I doubt you’d take an old CRV and Seat Ibiza in part exchange 🙂

gray

Hmm, sorry but no ta! I’m looking to sell up and probably get something a bit silly like an MR2. BMW is ace, but I’m soon going to stop commuting 45 miles each way, so the 54 mpg I’m getting is no longer necessary.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘BMW 1 series – roofrack mounting point spacings’ is closed to new replies.